HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 1, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #12,751 of 20,374

Figured you were too excited to think or type straight 
wink.gif

Excellent!

Will you hurry up with that cable! I want t know if it solves the microphoncs and stiffness of that damned stock cable. Then I can order the same wire.
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #12,752 of 20,374
  Will you hurry up with that cable! I want t know if it solves the microphoncs and stiffness of that damned stock cable. Then I can order the same wire.
wink.gif

Guarantee it solves the stiffness problem, and my paracord is sweet (black with flecks of blue that seem to spiral around).  Even my wife was admiring it.  Type 1 cord was just too small for two wires above the Y split, so I used the same as below the split.  Looks better anyway, as it matches.  I had no desire to twist or braid separate wires, though it does look nice in modulor's pix.

You could make it really supple below the Y split by removing the outer sheath, but I don't think it's necessary.

Damn well better solve the microphonics.

I think I need to rustle up some 1mm solder.  All I've got is some rather thick schiit I bought at Radio $hack ages ago.  The connectors are all really small.  If, after sizing it all up tomorrow, what I've got looks too big, I'll hit the local hardware store, and failing that, Home Despot.

I'm wondering if the stock cable in paracord would help with the microphonics.  I want to redo my half-assed first attempt.

Lord, for a second I thought you meant you wanted me to make you a cable 
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #12,753 of 20,374
I would put gooooood money that on any setup, with any headphone, with cables that all looked the same, that noone could reliably tell specific ones apart with a blind test. It's just simply not happening, it's just the physics of cables, they either work or they suck, that's about it. HiFi, I understand you are saying people with really nice gear think cables matter, but those people all have loads of discretionary income and will always buy the latest and greatest and most expensive anything and swear up and down it's clearly superior to whatever it was before. I have an aftermarket cable because I like the guys at DHC and they make good products, but I will not tell anyone that they are going to hear a sonic difference. Every single time we plug in our gear and play a song we are going to hear it differently, we focus on different parts of the track, maybe one time you were distracted by something, maybe there was some background noise, maybe you felt there was a difference, and hey, just because it's placebo, doesn't mean it doesn't work

So, cables may make a sonic difference c able to cable, but I can assure you the cable isn't the one responsible 
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #12,755 of 20,374
Seems like I sparked another debate about cables.  Haha.

Can someone suggest a DAC and an amp for the HE-500 for around $600?  I've been trying to find a Lyr and a Bifrost USB used for around that price but I can't seem to find anything.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #12,756 of 20,374

Can someone suggest a DAC and an amp for the HE-500 for around $600?  I've been trying to find a Lyr and a Bifrost USB used for around that price but I can't seem to find anything.

Audio GD compass 2?

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #12,757 of 20,374

Guarantee it solves the stiffness problem, and my paracord is sweet (black with flecks of blue that seem to spiral around).  Even my wife was admiring it.  Type 1 cord was just too small for two wires above the Y split, so I used the same as below the split.  Looks better anyway, as it matches.  I had no desire to twist or braid separate wires, though it does look nice in modulor's pix.

You could make it really supple below the Y split by removing the outer sheath, but I don't think it's necessary.

Damn well better solve the microphonics.

I think I need to rustle up some 1mm solder.  All I've got is some rather thick schiit I bought at Radio $hack ages ago.  The connectors are all really small.  If, after sizing it all up tomorrow, what I've got looks too big, I'll hit the local hardware store, and failing that, Home Despot.

I'm wondering if the stock cable in paracord would help with the microphonics.  I want to redo my half-assed first attempt.

Lord, for a second I thought you meant you wanted me to make you a cable 
wink.gif

You're referring to the Mogami wire, W2799? It's good to know that the flexibility issue is resolved, next the PITA microphonics. I can make my own cable, your experience will be a valuable asset, I'm a lazy ass.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #12,758 of 20,374

If you are not interested in rolling tubes and like the SS sound, switch the amp for an Asgard 2.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #12,759 of 20,374
  You're referring to the Mogami wire, W2799? It's good to know that the flexibility issue is resolved, next the PITA microphonics. I can make my own cable, your experience will be a valuable asset, I'm a lazy ass.

Yep, that wire.  Some Type 3 (550) paracord will fit nicely.  A portion of a ballpoint pen tube and some heat shrink at the Y split will make it look nice.  It's a tight fit, but I managed to get the tube over the the paracord on the two Y cables with a bit of trickery.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #12,760 of 20,374

So I actually started a poll tonight about exactly this in the Source Component Section... Curious to see what people have to say. I also have the HE-500.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #12,761 of 20,374
  Audio GD compass 2?

I'll look into it, thanks.

If you are not interested in rolling tubes and like the SS sound, switch the amp for an Asgard 2.

I'm not too experienced with different amps.  How does the Asgard 2 sound compared to the Lyr?
So I actually started a poll tonight about exactly this in the Source Component Section... Curious to see what people have to say. I also have the HE-500.

I'll keep my eye on that, thanks.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #12,762 of 20,374

Save some money and go for O2+ODAC. Also, try to find one of those modified pieces that are actually wireless. No wires = best sound. Amirite guys? I usually see them floating on the used forums from time to time.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #12,763 of 20,374

Yep, that wire.  Some Type 3 (550) paracord will fit nicely.  A portion of a ballpoint pen tube and some heat shrink at the Y split will make it look nice.  It's a tight fit, but I managed to get the tube over the the paracord on the two Y cables with a bit of trickery.

I'll stay tuned into your Monkey Cable. When will you fire up that soldering iron? Remember to learn how to use the weapon before you go hunting, try some target practice on bits of wire, perhaps you can get some solder lugs to learn on.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #12,764 of 20,374
  I'll look into it, thanks.

I'm not too experienced with different amps.  How does the Asgard 2 sound compared to the Lyr?
I'll keep my eye on that, thanks.

The Asgard 2 is a pure SS amp and will deliver a clear uncolored sound. The Lyr is a Hybrid with tubes in the preamp/driver stage and a solid state output stage,  A hybrid amp like the Lyr will deliver some of the even order harmonic distortion of tubes (the tube sound), usually not overly strong and has a SS output stage to be able to deliver enough current to drive low impedances as well as the voltage swing for high impedances. In any case of an amp you have to make sure that it can sucessfully drive your headphones that you have as well as those you might be planning on.
Some people lke the "warm" sound of this even order harmonic distortion. I don't find it objectionable but prefer no distortion at all sound of a pure SS amp of good quality.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #12,765 of 20,374
  The Asgard 2 is a pure SS amp and will deliver a clear uncolored sound. The Lyr is a Hybrid with tubes in the preamp/driver stage and a solid state output stage,  A hybrid amp like the Lyr will deliver some of the even order harmonic distortion of tubes (the tube sound), usually not overly strong and has a SS output stage to be able to deliver enough current to drive low impedances as well as the voltage swing for high impedances. In any case of an amp you have to make sure that it can sucessfully drive your headphones that you have as well as those you might be planning on.
Some people lke the "warm" sound of this even order harmonic distortion. I don't find it objectionable but prefer no distortion at all sound of a pure SS amp of good quality.

Thanks for the reply.  Will the Asgard 2 be able to power HE-500s and HD 800s well? I think I might get HD 800s sometime in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back