HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 1, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #12,706 of 20,374
The only thing I don't like on foobar is that it can be slightly buggy with tags and the likes.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #12,707 of 20,374
The only thing I don't like on foobar is that it can be slightly buggy with tags and the likes.

Does foobar use asio? Or only wasapi? Whats better..jriver 19 or foobar?

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #12,708 of 20,374

Sure, it can use ASIO, if your device supports it.  Maybe ASIO4ALL would help, if there is no native driver.

Never paid for a Windoze player, so can't say.

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #12,710 of 20,374
I use Foobar with the Asio driver from audio GD. That is my only annoyance with this DAC though, having to restart my computer before I turn it back on is kind of annoying >.>

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #12,711 of 20,374

Foobar can use asio, kernel streaming and wasapi.
Foobar is like Linus, compared to jriver being windows.
I'm torn between foobar and jriver at the moment.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #12,712 of 20,374
Hey guys, I recently got into Head-fi and got some HE-500s.  Right now I'm running them off my Xonar STX and I'm looking to get a new DAC and amp.  I already posted a thread about that here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/707920/dac-and-amp-for-he-500s .  

The main reason I posted here is about cables though.  Is there much need to upgrade from the stock cables?  I was looking at Norse Audio's cables so I emailed Trevor from there.  He told me about their new Skoll series that are coming out soon.  I really like the aethestics of the cables so I was thinking about getting them.  Will I see any big performance increases?  Are they worth the $150?

This is the quote from him about the cables:
Skoll Series

The Skoll Series is our "best of all worlds" pure litz occ design.  It utilizes 4x24awg (12-wire) pure silver coated cu litz in our Tri multiconductor
geometry.  This cable brings some of the most resolving sound with top end detail retrieval while also having some of the best possible
functional benefits (lightest weight, highest flexibility and low microphonics).    

Skoll Series - 4x24awg (12-wire) - Fine stranded Litz occ silver coated cu Tri multiconductor headphone cable
Cables with default options (no splitter, no sleeve, heathrink at split)

5 ft.  $152.99 (15% off $179.99)
6 ft.  $169.99 (15% off $199.99)
8 ft.  $186.99 (15% off $219.99)
10 ft. $212.50 (15% off $249.99)

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #12,713 of 20,374

Hey guys, I recently got into Head-fi and got some HE-500s.  Right now I'm running them off my Xonar STX and I'm looking to get a new DAC and amp.  I already posted a thread about that here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/707920/dac-and-amp-for-he-500s .  

The main reason I posted here is about cables though.  Is there much need to upgrade from the stock cables?  I was looking at Norse Audio's cables so I emailed Trevor from there.  He told me about their new Skoll series that are coming out soon.  I really like the aethestics of the cables so I was thinking about getting them.  Will I see any big performance increases?  Are they worth the $150?

This is the quote from him about the cables:
Skoll Series

The Skoll Series is our "best of all worlds" pure litz occ design.  It utilizes 4x24awg (12-wire) pure silver coated cu litz in our Tri multiconductor
geometry.  This cable brings some of the most resolving sound with top end detail retrieval while also having some of the best possible
functional benefits (lightest weight, highest flexibility and low microphonics).    

Skoll Series - 4x24awg (12-wire) - Fine stranded Litz occ silver coated cu Tri multiconductor headphone cable
Cables with default options (no splitter, no sleeve, heathrink at split)

5 ft.  $152.99 (15% off $179.99)
6 ft.  $169.99 (15% off $199.99)
8 ft.  $186.99 (15% off $219.99)
10 ft. $212.50 (15% off $249.99)

According to some you might see improvements.. According to some you won't or if you will it'll be placebo. I'd never buy a cable for sonic improvement. Well, I might to some degree at least for the peace of mind.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #12,714 of 20,374
  According to some you might see improvements.. According to some you won't or if you will it'll be placebo. I'd never buy a cable for sonic improvement. Well, I might to some degree at least for the peace of mind.

Okay.  Reading back a few pages it seems like a debated topic.  I think I will pull the trigger on them I really dislike the feel of the stock cable and the Skolls look great.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #12,715 of 20,374

Okay.  Reading back a few pages it seems like a debated topic.  I think I will pull the trigger on them I really dislike the feel of the stock cable and the Skolls look great.

It's kind of ironic. I've got 300$ pure silver (with gold) cable on my HE-500.. Lulz..

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #12,717 of 20,374
  It's kind of ironic. I've got 300$ pure silver (with gold) cable on my HE-500.. Lulz..

You can always make believe they sound better. 
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #12,718 of 20,374
lolz..u guys are funny..i by accident stumbled on some kind of green fanatics of sort..almost all owning a 1.1l car with 40hp or such (who needs 1litres of gas on trillion miles)..and guess what they said when a newbie posted: those cars are almost not drivable on the highway because of the lack of power and that it was hard to keep the 120km/h limit..with wind against they even couldnt manage 90 with three people inside..and u know what they said: why u need a car that can drive more then that? u eventually get there also..so no need to get a better car... my point... its all about priorities and money u wanna spend... and those two factors influence greatly how u THINK a cable will sound like...if u believe deeply that a cable wont do shiit to ur system..then u probbaly have a mediocre system at best... so ur (audio) values are a lot lower then  lets say someone buying that new NAD dac with an mjolnir amp to go with it...and thats not higher end also..its midfi... but still..u will see those people (most) will acknowledge that cables do work..its really curious that ALLLLLLL and i mean ALL owners of the budget models of Shiit and the emotiva (just examples) say a cable wont do shiit to ur sound experience (or that its almost to hard to hear it)..and i mean all! but when u check threads of the REAL premium cable brands u will see that most cables are bought by people who have expensive IEMS or a better rig then regular is owned here on this thread... is this some kind of plecebo effect (and in this situation: thinking no cable will make a difference to sound)..

its not only seen here on this thread... i am active on several forums..a few real higher end and a few european thats high and lower end...and on the lower/mid-fi threads its same thing... even the modders of those amps/phones (yep the ones who know the technical stuff) say the same things...

am not attacking here...but it just struck me..does the way how u think towards ur audio influence ur ideas whether extra stuff will attribute to ur soundexperience or not..food for thought huh? anyone has an answer for this?..

and dont start that people with money feel better when they buy expensive stuff..as that is stupid.... as i am sure u guys who bought ur emotiva or shiit or any other amp mentioned here would be just as anxious for their amp before delivery as i am now!  am just curious whether ur main rig determines what other things u buy for it...it cant be just lack of money..

on purpose i didnt mention prices..as thats not important..is it the level of soundquality in ur equipment? or our crazy mind? or are we all just lambs all brainwashed by a few others? lolz

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #12,719 of 20,374
I stand by my theory that cables won't affect sound on orthos. Not significant enough for the FLAT response of orthos. As for dynamics, I'd somewhat believe it, but still don't think it warrants the price most people pay. Maybe copper vs silver is OK (as they'd be similar cost) but not paying the premium for GOLD INFUSED or LITZ etc

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #12,720 of 20,374
  I stand by my theory that cables won't affect sound on orthos. Not significant enough for the FLAT response of orthos. As for dynamics, I'd somewhat believe it, but still don't think it warrants the price most people pay. Maybe copper vs silver is OK (as they'd be similar cost) but not paying the premium for GOLD INFUSED or LITZ etc

i also just believe in full copper of silver cables..thats why i stick with full copper...since the beginning actuallly..only the original hifiman cable was silverplated copper... but that was not by choice i had that cable...but since then..copper all the way.

and theory or not..i by own experience multiple times found out the better ur amp/headphone (also planar) the better the cable improvements will be heared... as i once said..on my m-stage i heard nada, zip, rien, nothing of change in sound experience..i only started to hear differences when i went up to my modified 337 with the tubes i had in it...tubes who had very high detaily character... especially the details became clearer and the bass cleaner and less muddy (if u can call a 337 muddy..lolz).. only with my latest balanced 8wire cable with seperated cables for each channel the soundstage improved... we will see how it will improve the sound of my new amp compared to a higher end (solid retangular copper wires instead of stranded wires) cable i maybe will get..maybe.....first thing first..

ps..ur a emotiva owner right? as what u say is so emotiva like.
wink.gif

another ps... i once started out with the he300...the only dynamic of hifiman and i can tell u the difference the upgraded cable made on the he300 was even better heard on the he500... and i am talking in my own experience..not quoting what others say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back