HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 5, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #11,641 of 20,374
Actually, if I'm less than satisfied with the Mytek's headphone out, two head amps that I've got my eye out on at the moment are:

- Graham Slee Ultra Linear Diamond Edition
- Violectric HPA V200

Although, truthfully, I have to do a lot more research before making a decision.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #11,642 of 20,374
Here are two people hypothesizing about the power of the Mytek's headphone amp from a different site:

"Well, Mytek might not has power supply voltage that high enough to output 10 Watt (RMS) into 40 ohms, which would require at least +/- 30 VDC supply voltage.  Mytek only put on the spec, headphone output : 500 mA, but didn't indicate the maximum output voltage.  At least the 500 mA output can already be considered high current for headphone.

Assuming the supply voltage for the headphone amp is the standard +/- 15 VDC, and the maximum V peak is around +/- 13 V, for 40 ohm load, the output power would be around 2.1 Watt, which can be considered pretty high for a built-in headphone amp, especially comparing with 0.1 W output of the TEAC.  But again, sound quality is not just about power"

"Just got myself reacquainted with the Mytek headphone output again and I must say it does indeed sound more powerful than I have remembered. After comparing the Mytek against my current Audio-GD NF6, I would say the Mytek can achieve around 80~90% of the volume capability of the NFB6. The Mytek headphone output sounds very clean and neutral with lots of clarity and details whereas the NFB sounded more smooth and warm. The sound signature of the TEAC headphone output is akin to the NFB6, which may explain why I actually prefer listening to the TEAC versus the Mytek for other normal PCM and DSD material with high enough gain. I would think the TEAC presents the music in the least fatiguing manner when compared to the Mytek. I am not saying the Mytek's headphone output is harsh and aggressive or fatiguing, but rather as I had suggested, it presents a more neutral and truer reproduction of the source material - reminds me a whole lot like my ATC speakers. I am glad I have both to use whichever tickles my bones for the day. However, I would like to point out again the limited output of the TEAC, when playing the Ry Cooder's album (track 3), it was struggling even to attain normal listening SPLs at maximum volume. After this exercise, if you are purely going to use inefficient headphones for listening and would prefer a one box solution, I would strongly push for the Mytek over the TEAC without any reservation... but of course, if you have the extra pennies to spare (~4000USD), the Resonessence Invicta HPA/DAC (DSD capable) may well be the current king of the hill of such HPA/DAC combos to own."

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #11,643 of 20,374
My HE-500 was literally delivered less than an hour ago and straight out of the box with no burn in and through the less-than-optimal Fiio E17/E09k I'm already thoroughly impressed with the improvements in sound signature over my HE-440: more linear bass extension, evened out mids, and a treble response that doesn't sound like my eardrums are being pureed in a food processor. Every complaint that I'd had about the HE-400's sound signature has been amended by the HE-500. Now for a better amp... 

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #11,646 of 20,374
Here's something I'm musing today:

When you say XXX headphones scale very well with better equipment (a positive trait), wouldn't another equivalent way of saying it be, that it performs relatively poorly unless driven by very good equipment (a more negative trait)? An example being HE500 vs HE6.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #11,647 of 20,374

When you say XXX headphones scale very well with better equipment (a positive trait), wouldn't another equivalent way of saying it be, that it performs relatively poorly unless driven by very good equipment (a more negative trait)? An example being HE500 vs HE6.

I wonder how much of this is due to the power of suggestion/placebo or just Internet parroting and not having heard for themselves.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #11,648 of 20,374
Nice! The HE-500 is nothing short of amazing, especially at today's prices. 

Agreed. Regardless of price I prefer the HE-500 over all the other headphones I have 3000ANV, HD800 & T1.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #11,649 of 20,374

After I'd had my HE-400 for a while I was torn between investing in better equipment to bring out more of the 400's potential and just buying the HE-500. The overwhelming consensus is that the HE-400 really doesn't scale enough to merit an amp/dac upgrade and that I should just upgrade my phone. Part of me is still slightly skeptical and my first order of business when i get my Lyr is to A/B the 400 with the Fiio E09k/E17 and the Lyr. I have little doubt that I'll find what everyone else has told me to be true, but I really want to find out for myself.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #11,650 of 20,374

This notion of scaling well kind of confuses me. The sound quality of the Liquid Gold is superior to the Vali- does this translate to the headphones scale well because the Liquid Gold sounds better? Anyways, this doesn't really speak to the above question.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #11,651 of 20,374
This notion of scaling well kind of confuses me. The sound quality of the Liquid Gold is superior to the Vali- does this translate to the headphones scale well because the Liquid Gold sounds better? Anyways, this doesn't really speak to the above question.

Scaling with regards to DACs kinda makes sense - the best DACs are the ones that most faithfully convert digital signals into their intended analog forms, with minimal jitters and bumpitty-boops and whatnot; so DAC scaling is really just trying to reach closer and closer to the theoretical 100% perfect conversion and output. Instead of "better DACs", you are trying to get "less imperfect DACs".

Amps are more tricky, and there is a lot more placebo/nocebo involved no doubt. There is the aspect of raw power, as well as of quality of power, that both appear to play critical roles in driving hard-to-drive headphones.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #11,653 of 20,374
  After I'd had my HE-400 for a while I was torn between investing in better equipment to bring out more of the 400's potential and just buying the HE-500. The overwhelming consensus is that the HE-400 really doesn't scale enough to merit an amp/dac upgrade and that I should just upgrade my phone. Part of me is still slightly skeptical and my first order of business when i get my Lyr is to A/B the 400 with the Fiio E09k/E17 and the Lyr. I have little doubt that I'll find what everyone else has told me to be true, but I really want to find out for myself.

When you do that use the same source, get a headphone switch (to quickly switch the HE-500's between both amps) and match the volumes to do a proper comparison. If you can do that, I would be very interested in your observations.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #11,654 of 20,374
  I wonder how much of this is due to the power of suggestion/placebo or just Internet parroting and not having heard for themselves.

A LOT!

And then audio religion kicks in and the flaming starts. 
eek.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #11,655 of 20,374
I have a rather conservative opinion.. Enough power and low distortion etc. will most likely make my headphones sing. With DACs I just want 'good enough'.. Then take it slow from there maybe I will get a revelation sometime down the road, who knows.
This hobby is so full of placebo and the like that I won't even try to form opinions on stuff I don't feel I can stand by.. Differences between (+200$) DACs and cables for example.. At least from my experience so far

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back