HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 2, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #11,596 of 20,386
The cup is plastic.  If you have to do that twice a day, I believe that the thread on the cup is gone.  Return and exchange for a different unit if you bought new.  Gluck.

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #11,597 of 20,386
The threads aren't on the cups themselves. There is an insert (I think it's brass) in the cups:

Check the screw itself first.  The screws are really soft so I wouldn't be surprised if the threads on the screws got messed up.  If so, then HiFiMAN can send you replacement screws (they are a propitiatory size unfortunately, so you can't just get some at a hardware store).  If the screw is fine, then the threads on the insert themselves may have got messed up.  For that you'll probably have to send the headphones to HiFiMAN.

But, if you just want a quick fix, try putting Loctite on the screw and screwing it back in: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/threadlockers.shtml  

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #11,598 of 20,386
Thank you for the advices, guys.
will check it out.

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #11,599 of 20,386
Been listening to the CALG and the FAW Noir with the HE-500 and I'll have to say I've been expierencing pure audio ecstasy these last few months.

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #11,600 of 20,386
Hey guys, I've asked Koiloco and my cousin, but I just want to see what you guys think. When attenuating volume, I know most people say to keep the source at 100% volume and adjust on analog to avoid reduction in bit depth. My cousin, however, explained that the signal to noise ratio affects how much attenuating you can do on the windows volume control in that if you listen to something like 100db peaks, the signal to noise ratio on the emotiva is 95db, meaning that you can attenuate somewhere around like 5db through windows volume control (i'm not sure if I'm saying this right, but I'm hoping you guys understand what his point was).

From a realistic standpoint, at what point would I really be getting a degradation in audible noise?

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #11,601 of 20,386
Just got a HE-500 and wow! I has almost the perfect tonality for me with the Blue Dragon cable. This is out of an o2 so it can only get better with a better amp. 

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #11,603 of 20,386
Feb 4, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #11,604 of 20,386
  Hey guys, I've asked Koiloco and my cousin, but I just want to see what you guys think. When attenuating volume, I know most people say to keep the source at 100% volume and adjust on analog to avoid reduction in bit depth. My cousin, however, explained that the signal to noise ratio affects how much attenuating you can do on the windows volume control in that if you listen to something like 100db peaks, the signal to noise ratio on the emotiva is 95db, meaning that you can attenuate somewhere around like 5db through windows volume control (i'm not sure if I'm saying this right, but I'm hoping you guys understand what his point was).

From a realistic standpoint, at what point would I really be getting a degradation in audible noise?

You are right about losing resolution when using digital attenuation. Analog attenuation is continuous and is not affected by quantization. Generally you want the signal coming to the amp as hot as possible without any clipping or distortion on peaks at either side, windows or the Amp''s input stage. The thing is, what do you mean by attenuate by 5 dB at the windows side? And how will you know when you've really reached that 5 dB point? Windows hardware varies and your line output level is probably not going to be a sure shot.
Take a peek at the below link.
http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/dynamic_range_and_signal_to_noise_ratios/

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #11,606 of 20,386
I'm looking to get to a store in my area (ann arbor) either this weekend or next to audition the He-500s.  Very exciting as my current pair of headphones are (much cheaper) Sennheiser HD555s from about 6 or 7 years ago.  Just have to wait for the store to get some he500s back in stock before i try it.  My cousin has the He-400s which I've played around with a couple times and I love them, so I'm hoping the he-500 will just blow my mind out of the water.  It would be the most expensive headphone I've touched... let alone listened to and (probably) buy.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #11,610 of 20,386
  ericeng91 - which store carries these around A2? I'm thinking of upgrading to these as well. also let me know which amps you've been looking at. thanks in advance

Overture Audio 

http://www.overture-audio.com/

Mainly loud speakers, but (at least at the open house) they had a corner set up for desktop amps and headphones.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back