HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 27, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #11,431 of 20,386
This pair of HPs is indeed amazing for the $.  I was afraid I will start neglecting it after the HD800 purchase but nope, not going to happen.  I must say IMO, the 2 HPs are really neck to neck on my enjoyment and SQ scales.  Enjoy your HE500....:beerchug:

Yeah same here. :) I've had both for a while now, and while I keep thinking that I'll eventally settle on one as my favourite, in practice I swap between them every few days. It's about 50/50 for me.

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #11,433 of 20,386
Based on the grill mod, is it safe to peel off the cloth covers- or is it safer to just leave the cloth protector alone? Don't want to damage the drivers...Edit: Please disregard- searched around and found the answers :)

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #11,434 of 20,386
Anybody ever try out the Emotiva UPA-2? The Mini A-100 doesn't seem like it's coming back anytime soon. Actually the better question is can I use the UPA-2 without blowing smoke through my He-500's? And if anyone knows where I can get a Mini A-100, then I'll gladly accept.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #11,435 of 20,386
  Anybody ever try out the Emotiva UPA-2? The Mini A-100 doesn't seem like it's coming back anytime soon. Actually the better question is can I use the UPA-2 without blowing smoke through my He-500's? And if anyone knows where I can get a Mini A-100, then I'll gladly accept.

Just got an email on a "secret sale" from Emotiva today and they're selling their refurbished gear from the warehouse and the MiniX was only $150. Here's a copy of the email:

We’re having another secret warehouse sale, and it starts now!

Most everything is Factory Renewed gear, with a little bit of scratch-and-dent mixed in (similar to Area 51 at Emofest). This sale will not be on our website! You’ll have to call in or email to place an order. The 30-day trial does not apply to warehouse sale gear. All sales are final.

Some products will go faster than others. It’s first come, first serve, so if you are interested in anything calling in your order is your best bet. 615-790-6754. You can also email us at sales@emotiva.com.

The product price includes free shipping within the contiguous 48 states. If you are shipping outside of the U.S., or to Alaska, Hawaii, or a U.S. territory, please contact us for a quote at 615-790-6754 or email sales@emotiva.com.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #11,436 of 20,386
Look what arrived today 
redface.gif

A gracious gift from Dr. Fang. What a guy! I don't think I will need to upgrade anything for a while to come.

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #11,438 of 20,386

Just got an email on a "secret sale" from Emotiva today and they're selling their refurbished gear from the warehouse and the MiniX was only $150. Here's a copy of the email:

We’re having another secret warehouse sale, and it starts now!

Most everything is Factory Renewed gear, with a little bit of scratch-and-dent mixed in (similar to Area 51 at Emofest). This sale will not be on our website! You’ll have to call in or email to place an order. The 30-day trial does not apply to warehouse sale gear. All sales are final.

Some products will go faster than others. It’s first come, first serve, so if you are interested in anything calling in your order is your best bet. 615-790-6754. You can also email us at sales@emotiva.com.

The product price includes free shipping within the contiguous 48 states. If you are shipping outside of the U.S., or to Alaska, Hawaii, or a U.S. territory, please contact us for a quote at 615-790-6754 or email sales@emotiva.com.

You guys are so resourceful, thanks man!

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #11,439 of 20,386
Look what arrived today :xf_eek:

A gracious gift from Dr. Fang. What a guy! I don't think I will need to upgrade anything for a while to come.

Awesome! I felt he should give you something, so that's nice, though you probably would have preferred one of the new phones.

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #11,440 of 20,386
Awesome! I felt he should give you something, so that's nice, though you probably would have preferred one of the new phones.

Ehhh...I actually opted for the EF6 instead of one of the new cans hahah. As much as I'd like to try out the new planars, my audio chain's weakest link was the amp. Also there's the matter of patience of having to wait till March for the new planars to exit prototyping and enter production.

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #11,441 of 20,386
Ah well congrats then!

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #11,442 of 20,386
Congrats on the EF-6 Jerg! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #11,443 of 20,386
  Ehhh...I actually opted for the EF6 instead of one of the new cans hahah. As much as I'd like to try out the new planars, my audio chain's weakest link was the amp. Also there's the matter of patience of having to wait till March for the new planars to exit prototyping and enter production.

+($)1599.00  
biggrin.gif

That's a damn fine choice, and nice payoff for your dedication to improving the HE-500s (much appreciated!).  I always wondered about the amp you were using.  Now I guess it's just a DAC 
wink.gif

Not sure if comparisons are warranted (Honda Civic vs. Ferrari), but if you feel inclined to do so...

Enjoy 
darthsmile.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #11,445 of 20,386
From Jerg, "After listening through the EF6 for a whole day, I think I would describe it as muscular, effortless, and slightly relaxed/dark. Pretty much perfectly what HE6 needs in terms of complementary traits, but still an excellent match with my modded HE500."

Sorry for the unexpected quote Jerg :3 Saves you some time though! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back