HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 26, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #11,401 of 20,386
  HE500 + emotiva minixa100 + yulong da8 has been hauntingly good.. any recommendations on must try songs? I like metal/classical/soundtrack/instrumentals but open to trying any genre.

If you want to hear the Mini-X churning out some dynamics and power on the HE-500, give Era - The Mass a listen. Not the best album out there, but sounds particularly impressive on the HE-500 + Mini-X. If you like classical guitar with an orchestra thrown into the mix check out Joaquin Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez and Concierto Andaluz. If you want something industrial check out Dredd's original film soundtrack.

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #11,402 of 20,386
  I'm not sure if this was part of the original mod, but I took my Jerg pads and stuffed the foam rings back in (be careful not to accidentally push the pad slits out of the ring). Weird idea huh? They kind of block out the damping holes and stiffen the pads, thus causing an increase in treble at around 11 to 14k, but I swear the treble is so chill (best way I can describe it, I just feels so chill, clean, and open, and it's not harsh). Basically saying, treble extension is much better (explains the chilling effect), and the treble isn't emphasized either, I'm getting so much better treble extension that I couldn't get with the original mod. The added treble extension make everything sound more airy and less congested, instruments are a lot more pronounced and feel less muddled. But the best part is there is no increase in sibalence. All in all they sound like a mix between the Sony SA5000 and the AKG Q701's; with a well layered and resolute bass though. Fore warning if you decide to try it; the sound can get very fatiguing if listened to for a long time.

BTW thanks Jerg for the original mod, it's freaking amazing what you managed to do with the original pleathers

I put the foam rings back in because the drivers touched my ears otherwise. Still really like them.

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #11,403 of 20,386
  HE500 + emotiva minixa100 + yulong da8 has been hauntingly good.. any recommendations on must try songs? I like metal/classical/soundtrack/instrumentals but open to trying any genre.

Some classical/instrumental I've been enjoying lately:

1. Brooklyn RIder: Seven Steps
  2. Jon Hopkins: Immunity
  3. Caleb Burhans: Evensong
  4. David Gilmore: Numerology

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #11,404 of 20,386
  I'm not sure if this was part of the original mod, but I took my Jerg pads and stuffed the foam rings back in (be careful not to accidentally push the pad slits out of the ring). Weird idea huh? They kind of block out the damping holes and stiffen the pads, thus causing an increase in treble at around 11 to 14k, but I swear the treble is so chill (best way I can describe it, I just feels so chill, clean, and open, and it's not harsh). Basically saying, treble extension is much better (explains the chilling effect), and the treble isn't emphasized either, I'm getting so much better treble extension that I couldn't get with the original mod. The added treble extension make everything sound more airy and less congested, instruments are a lot more pronounced and feel less muddled. But the best part is there is no increase in sibalence. All in all they sound like a mix between the Sony SA5000 and the AKG Q701's; with a well layered and resolute bass though. Fore warning if you decide to try it; the sound can get very fatiguing if listened to for a long time.

BTW thanks Jerg for the original mod, it's freaking amazing what you managed to do with the original pleathers

From a measurement standpoint, purrin did stepwise measurements of Modulor's jergpads on HE500 with/without various steps (like foam insert ring, backvents, double-sided tape) as well as stock velours/pleathers with/without foam insert ring, by my request; and what we observed was that the ring introduces a 1kHz hump, a lower treble boost, as well as not really any effect on upper treble behaviour.

Knowing that, my most reasonable guess with what you experience is that the foam insert pushes treble and lower end up a tad more relative to upper mids, and so it might create the impression of more treble details. Or maybe your HE500s are different.

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #11,405 of 20,386
  From a measurement standpoint, purrin did stepwise measurements of Modulor's jergpads on HE500 with/without various steps (like foam insert ring, backvents, double-sided tape) as well as stock velours/pleathers with/without foam insert ring, by my request; and what we observed was that the ring introduces a 1kHz hump, a lower treble boost, as well as not really any effect on upper treble behaviour.

Knowing that, my most reasonable guess with what you experience is that the foam insert pushes treble and lower end up a tad more relative to upper mids, and so it might create the impression of more treble details. Or maybe your HE500s are different.

I mainly used the foam ring to step up the pads and prevent discomfort from having the pads pushed against the tips of ear. I did have somewhat of an idea regarding how they would sound, the effect being better treble extension, worse bass extension, and a slightly wider sound stage.  I'm guessing the result was either due the spacing between my ear and driver, or that I've modded the jerg pads completely wrong and got an unexpected result. I did feel as if the vocals did open up a bit compared to before.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #11,406 of 20,386
Dang, HE500/Emotiva sounds spectacular today.   This pair of HPs is indeed amazing for the $.  I was afraid I will start neglecting it after the HD800 purchase but nope, not going to happen.  I must say IMO, the 2 HPs are really neck to neck on my enjoyment and SQ scales.  Enjoy your HE500....
beerchug.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #11,407 of 20,386
Lookie lookie what i found on headfi concerning my sold 337.. Another convert to the 337 :wink:

Quoting:
Already relieved that you guys don't think I'm delusional. HifManRookie: purchasing your 337 was value wise amongst the best deals I've done in HiFiland last year. Closely followed by a pair of Tung-Sol 5998 for 55 EUR which I scored NOS from a guy who mentioned in capitals on his page that he had purchased a huge lot of tubes and was selling them on but knew nothing about them, couldn't test them, offered no warranty whatsoever and sold=sold. I took the gamble and lo and behold, they arrived pristine, in their original box. Turned out he had purchased the stock of some French army depot that was being cleared and all those tubes had just been sitting there, untouched, for decades. If I had known I'd have purchased 10 pair, they're all gone now. Anyway, glorious sound together with the RCA's. Am keeping my eyes open for a pair of GEC curved brown base 6AS7 but those I've seen so far are hideously expensive and I'm not sure if they're worth the premium.

Frankly I don't understand how these DV/La Figaro tube amps are not more popular. I was already impressed the first time I saw a pic of one that was open when I noticed the neatness of the wiring. Call me stupid but neat wiring indicates an attention to detail that usually goes together with a good product. If you compare that to some of the competitors.... (Stereophile of last month showed a pic of a Sophia Electric selling for >2000 USD with wiring that looked like hell, bad soldering, components bent (!) so they'd fit the chassis. Typically, although they remarked on that and despite measurements being out of whack, it got a glowing review...).

My only regret is that I'm flying back to my base in India wednesday and will have to leave the amp behind in Europe until my next visit.

End quote

And u wont believe it, (and to his own surprise also!) but he is using all his phones now with the 337 instead of his excellent v200 : being a hd800, a he500 and what most surprised me (AND HIM) his he6! And he uses a v200 dac with it.. He posted that my ex-337 is excellent even with the he6 (even posted a pic with his he6 connected to the 337 by a (YEP again excellent choice) a toxic cables cable... :p
and no..didnt pay/asked him to post that, but reading his opening line made me believe some unbelievers already said that they dont believe him that it can drive a planar as its a OTL amp..bla bla bla bla :D

Just another proof that a guy (like me) who has enough money to spend goes for an amp almost no one loves (still dont know why!)..or doesnt believe in..because it doesnt have multi 1000 watts (ON PAPER most of them!)..so rubbish!

I became a believer..and everyone who has one or heard on (except one as far i know of) loved the combo with a he500 and my ex-337.. I rest my case now..this amp is really good guys..for the price its probably the best affordable tube amp deal for ur he500 u can find..the emotiva among tube amps :wink:

Ps..he found out the 337 pumps out at least 1w into 50ohms..so i am guessing thats the reason why he drives the he500 so well.

I am starting to get a iggy feeling about me selling that amp now :xf_eek:

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #11,408 of 20,386
Lookie lookie what i found on headfi concerning my sold 337.. Another convert to the 337
wink.gif

Quoting:
Already relieved that you guys don't think I'm delusional. HifManRookie: purchasing your 337 was value wise amongst the best deals I've done in HiFiland last year. Closely followed by a pair of Tung-Sol 5998 for 55 EUR which I scored NOS from a guy who mentioned in capitals on his page that he had purchased a huge lot of tubes and was selling them on but knew nothing about them, couldn't test them, offered no warranty whatsoever and sold=sold. I took the gamble and lo and behold, they arrived pristine, in their original box. Turned out he had purchased the stock of some French army depot that was being cleared and all those tubes had just been sitting there, untouched, for decades. If I had known I'd have purchased 10 pair, they're all gone now. Anyway, glorious sound together with the RCA's. Am keeping my eyes open for a pair of GEC curved brown base 6AS7 but those I've seen so far are hideously expensive and I'm not sure if they're worth the premium.

Frankly I don't understand how these DV/La Figaro tube amps are not more popular. I was already impressed the first time I saw a pic of one that was open when I noticed the neatness of the wiring. Call me stupid but neat wiring indicates an attention to detail that usually goes together with a good product. If you compare that to some of the competitors.... (Stereophile of last month showed a pic of a Sophia Electric selling for >2000 USD with wiring that looked like hell, bad soldering, components bent (!) so they'd fit the chassis. Typically, although they remarked on that and despite measurements being out of whack, it got a glowing review...).

My only regret is that I'm flying back to my base in India wednesday and will have to leave the amp behind in Europe until my next visit.

End quote

And u wont believe it, but he is using all his phones now with the 337 instead of his excellent v200 : being a hd800, a he500 and what most surprised me his he6! He posted that my ex-337 is excellent even with the last one...and no..didnt pay him to post that, but reading his first line made me believe some unbelievers already said that they dont believe his as its a OTL amp..bla bla bla bla
biggrin.gif

Just another proof that a guy (like me) who has enough money to spend goes for an amp almost no one loves (still dont know why!)..or doesnt believe in..

I became a believer..and everyone who has one or heard on (except one as far i know of) loved the combo with a he500 and my ex-337.. I rest my case now..this amp is really good guys..for the price its probably the best tube amp deal for ur he500 u can find..the emotiva among tube amps
wink.gif

Ps..he found out the 337 pumps out at least 1w into 50ohms..so i am guessing thats the reason why he drives the he500 so well.

I am getting a iggy feeling about me selling that amp now
redface.gif

Perhaps 337 > Blue Circle? I guess we shall find out soon.
tongue.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #11,409 of 20,386
Kinda regret I didn't buy your amp when I had the chance.. Oh well, that's head-fi. Can't buy everything, right? RIGHT?!?

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #11,410 of 20,386
Perhaps 337 > Blue Circle? I guess we shall find out soon. :p

Already asked him if he wanted to attend the next german-dutch-belgium meeting when its going down this year..and that he had to take the 337 and his he6 with him..am dying to try a he6 out and compare it to my code-x of which was really irritating me the first days comfort wise! Those thick cups have a bit smaller opening then the modulor pads i was customed of..and in beginning i got the feeling they glued to my head after a while as they are leather pads.but now i made the curve of the headband wider and let the pads a bit lower its much better now...i am guessing its all about the fabric needing to have some burn in time and get the right form around my head...sound is WOW!!! I keep on searching for (24bit 192) tracks to see if it sounds different then on my excellent he500 i had...but its like ur having two rooms extra in which the music plays..and weirdest thing is..i can now hear it when a player is sitting higher then another player..thats so weird to hear for the first time! And thats on a cheapish beyer usb amp
Also tried a blue ray movie...and he blew my beloved mmx300 away (that one was better in movies then my he500!)..the lows are so much more lifelike...people with LOOOOWW voices actually now sound realistic..or a burbling Tuned V8? Wonderful!

As i said...i am starting to think i made the right choice in going for the code-x instead of the he6... Only that pads thingie irritated me the first few days (first days it even gave me wanting to vomit! Am not kidding)...but it keeps on getting better ever since..sound also keeps on getting better..they keep on opening up more and more....it now has at least 70hours on them now...up to the 100 mark :p

i am guessing my cheapish amp died yesterday at 4am as no matter how high i turn up the volume on that thing now the music is barely listenable...so low! so i am guessing the code-x was a bit out of his league powerwise :D

So in short..would love to compare my new code-x and my BC to the he6 and my ex-337.. And i hope i can one day..he lives in belgium when he is in europe so its not to far from the netherlands.. :wink:

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #11,411 of 20,386
Kinda regret I didn't buy your amp when I had the chance.. Oh well, that's head-fi. Can't buy everything, right? RIGHT?!?

Yep u could have :D and those amps dont show up often second hand.. As people love them.
Ultrainferno has a 339 and just bought a very powerful custommade glenn2359? 300b tubes based amp for his planars.. But he told me he wont sell his beloved 339 when i asked him... I wonder why :wink:

And no u cant buy everything. :wink:

..if i could i would have gilbert make me an amp powered by solar energy instead of plugging him into the wallsocket... A balanced dual mono block headphone amp with seperate pre amp and seperated powersupplies for every component..pumping out 20w into 50ohm :wink:

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #11,412 of 20,386
I would get 2 class a DC coupled mono blocks with seperate power supply, a really nice DAC and use a dedicated computer running a customised version of linux built for audio playback, then using purely digital 64 bit volume control with applied dither. Best pre-amp is no pre-amp.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #11,413 of 20,386
I would get 2 class a DC coupled mono blocks with seperate power supply, a really nice DAC and use a dedicated computer running a customised version of linux built for audio playback, then using purely digital 64 bit volume control with applied dither. Best pre-amp is no pre-amp.

Any reason why you prefer Linux as opposed to say iOS?
Thanks

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #11,415 of 20,386
Linux is open source and very configurable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back