HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 9, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #10,906 of 20,386
^^ That mirrors where I'm at with the speculation on the new 560 and how I feel about the current 500. The only reason that the he500 is not end game for me is the weight. 425 grams is my comfort ceiling...anything past that point and it will become fatiguing after an hour. 

Now if the 560 can bring the same beautiful darkness and neutrality that the he500 offers, then Christmas will come a little late for me. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #10,907 of 20,386
I have sensitive ears, and the HE-500 is end game for me in terms of detail and brightness.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #10,909 of 20,386
  Time to upgrade those Sennheiser's to better match your new super-hearing abilities. Maybe Sennheiser Around Ear Momentums, if your ears can fit inside.

Well, I couldn't leave well enough alone.  I was determine to have a decent pair of closed back cans too for when the house is noisier than I want it to be, so I pulled the trigger on some Mad Dogs last night.  It'll be interesting to hear how they sound compared to my HE-500s...  I'm afflicted, $ay$ my wallet.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #10,911 of 20,386
I have sensitive ears, and the HE-500 is end game for me in terms of detail and brightness.

I agree. I'm pretty much done. Bought some ADAM Artist 3 speakers today which I hooked up to my Lyr and Bifrost. Now I have nice speakers and nice headphones. What more could I wish for. Headband isn't an issue for me and neither is the weight. So the HE560 have to be really spectacular for me to buy it. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #10,912 of 20,386
It's been mentioned elsewhere and probably in this 10 mile long thread that DT990 pads are compatible with the HE-500s.  I ordered a black pair and found that I had to cut ~1mm from the outer portion of the plastic rings (they'll still work well in the stock pads) to get them to fit without having the ring "potato chip" on me.  I really like the sound.  The bass impact is somewhere between the pleathers and the stock velours and more comfortable than the stock velours to boot.  A bit brighter sounding to me than the pleathers, which I like.  I think they are keepers...

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #10,913 of 20,386
Some interesting discussions about if the 560 will be "better" or not. Here's my take on it:

I think The HE-500 is the darkest of all Hifiman headphones (minus the HE-400 which is just darker in places). The HE-6/HE-5LE/HE-4 and even the original HE-5 was all lit up more. People describe their sound as airy, more detailed etc. The HE-500 is sort of a anomaly in the line, an accident perhaps. For me the tonality is perfect and is what I consider to be "neutral" from a subjective perspective. Even though I know the technical definition of neutral is probably a little bit brighter.

I have no doubt the 560 will be technically better. What I mean by "tech better" is that it will be more resolving of micro-details (a la HE-6) maybe have better soundstage (wider/deeper) and maybe even better imaging (more precise placement of instruments/voice etc). That's all great, same thing happened between the LCD-2 vs. LCD-3. What I'm afraid probably won't happen is that the HE-560 have the exact same tonality of the HE-500. What I mean by tonality = frequency response curve. I can accept something similar, but not something significantly brighter or darker.

There is a minimum amount of micro-detail extraction that is needed for me to enjoy my music. HE-500 provides this. It's not a HD800 or SR-009 but it has "enough" details and is transparent "enough".

I think Sennheiser drastically changing the tonality of the HD650 to the HD800 is the fear I have. If Sennheiser had kept the exact same tonality of the HD650 or even the HD600 but created a ring radiator driver with super micro-details and speed. I honestly wouldn't own anything else. I'd own the HD800 and nothing else would interest me.

So yes. I'm excited, but also fearful that Fang has gone super bright on us again.

Ever tried sr-007? Seems to have the qualities...

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #10,915 of 20,386
Jan 9, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #10,917 of 20,386
Ever tried sr-007? Seems to have the qualities...

But at a HUGE price...2900usd and then u have to get the right quality amp to drive it perfectly...2500usd also? Thats huge amount of money most of us cant even think of to pay for headphone audio. But iif i really would go the stax road..i would get the sr009.. Even if it would be a second hand one :wink:

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #10,919 of 20,386
Most think they have but really haven't - I'm just saying..

I agree..most 5watts amps are not really 5 watts..or at least not into the necessary 50ohm! The he6 not only needs power BUT also quality of that power...and that last one is the most costly..making power is easy..just put a huge powersupply and caps in it..but upping the quality of the power does force u to get better quality caps and or transformators... And whats more. :wink:

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #10,920 of 20,386
I agree..most 5watts amps are not really 5 watts..or at least not into the necessary 50ohm! The he6 not only needs power BUT also quality of that power...and that last one is the most costly..making power is easy..just put a huge powersupply and caps in it..but upping the quality of the power does force u to get better quality caps and or transformators  transformers... And whats more.
wink.gif

Opps - caught a typo - Fixed it for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back