HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 26, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #9,511 of 20,386
Anyone know if the cables are detachable on the TH600s?

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #9,516 of 20,386
That's certainly an option, Swan.. I'd opt to use the TD-11's "tube out" to a nice, transparent solid state amp (that provided ample current into low impedance loads.. which is what most planars tend to like).  Perhaps something like the Schiit Magni or Asgard 2.  A few people have run a tube buffer to their Emotiva XDA-1 (with the HE-500 running of the XDA's speaker taps) and found the combo to be excellent.  But really, I'd be more than happy with the TD-11's headphone out.. I did have the HE-500 and TD-11 at the same time (for a very short period) and remember the HE-500 to sound superb from the TD-11's headphone output.

While waiting for my HE-500's to arrive I became so jazzed and whipped into upgrade/forum mode.
After chasing all the options, Lyr, Mini-x, EF-5 and others with tubes and opamp upgrades. I'm just listening to my current setup with the 500's and I really like the sound. So I'm going to sit tight for a while and enjoy this Swiss Army knife of a Dac & HE-500's.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #9,517 of 20,386
While waiting for my HE-500's to arrive I became so jazzed and whipped into upgrade/forum mode.
After chasing all the options, Lyr, Mini-x, EF-5 and others with tubes and opamp upgrades. I'm just listening to my current setup with the 500's and I really like the sound. So I'm going to sit tight for a while and enjoy this Swiss Army knife of a Dac & HE-500's.

That sounds like quitter talk LOL

Lyr master race, just go nuts. TREAT YOSELF

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #9,518 of 20,386

Follow your dreams man

Two words:

Starquad.

Stapler.

Third word:
fail

See you are a cable vendor - do you do TH600 recables? If so, please PM me.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #9,519 of 20,386

LOL :)

So you're saying that I should treat myself... sorry, m'self... to the Bifrost Uber, cuz my tiny li'l HiFimeDIY U2 Sabre is, well, undersized physically, and perhaps sonically???  I like your dangerous mind!

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #9,520 of 20,386

LOL :)

So you're saying that I should treat myself... sorry, m'self... to the Bifrost Uber, cuz my tiny li'l HiFimeDIY U2 Sabre is, well, undersized physically, and perhaps sonically???  I like your dangerous mind!

GET ALL THE SCHIIT!

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #9,521 of 20,386

Absolutely with change in my pocket!! When I looked at that potential mini-x sitting on my desktop and remembered why I have active monitor in the first place. I don't want racks of Schiit (I love that name) like my music room looked like in the old days (80's), album crates, later cd racks, mono amps, 200lbs towers. Stop Swan, it's about hi-res digital files now and a minimalist setup LOL! That last 15-10% equals loads of cash and/or space in the case of the mini-x for a desktop rig. When or if I get an amp, I'll get the mini EF-5 I think keeping with the 85% sound ratio and space issue. These forums are dangerous, it was safer in the old Stereo Review, Audiophile mag days, if your equipment was listed you were content. But I love this type of danger, I need help lol!!

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #9,523 of 20,386

GET ALL THE SCHIIT!

Looks at Austin's sig... 
evil_smiley.gif

wink.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #9,524 of 20,386
Nov 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #9,525 of 20,386
I have been finally listening to the HE-500 from the Audio GD NFB-28 for about two weeks. I resisted the temptation to post back before I have done a reasonable amount of listening. The results are a big plus with an unintended anti-climax.

The first thing I did on the arrival of the NFB-28 was to terminate the stock cables of HE-500 to balanced using the kit available from the Audio GD (basically just one each of 4 pin XLR male + female connector and some solder tin). I had heard the Audio GD sound better off being balanced and it was only a 15 minutes job. 

If I was expecting to be blown away compared to using the HE-500 off my Denon 3312 headphone jack, I would have been disappointed. I would say a better analogy would be saying that it was like going from a good full HD TV to a very good Ultra HD television. The picture grew bigger and with a matching 4K source the UHD was going to be having more resolution. Watching the visual off a TV having more black levels (read more bass extension and finesse) and better brightness (read better treble) means the overall picture is enhanced. So is the ful HD vs 4K a stark difference? Yes, but so many factors figure in... like the viewing distance, the source, brightness of the viewing room etc. etc. Similarly the NFB-28 do not make the listening experience a paradigm shift but the differences are quite audible. The most benefit seem to be with the bass. It is well extended and extremely well behaved. Meaning the percussion sound excellent and VERY natural. Treble benefits too.. The notes have started distancing and hanging in the air. Mids are basically better but I will give it to the HE-500 mostly for their neutral presentation than for NFB-28. Anyway there is improvement all around. Everything is more precise, more separation, more taut and very natural. The brightness I have been complaining about HE-500 seem a little better behaved, but still present if the source allow for it. Anyway all this is after about 20 hours of listening.

So far my conclusion about the HE-500 is a big thump up. Yes they scale really well with the equipment. They were kind starved off being driven by the Denon headphone jack. The NFB-28 drives them extremely well. After going balanced, the I am reaching quite audible levels just 4-5 points (NFB 28 volume levels start at 100 and with many sources 105 is quite loud when in high gain mode). 

I have not done any critical single end vs balanced listening. But it is easy to do because the stock cable now can be used both SE or balanced. A very nice touch. I do not understand why Hifiman start offering their headphone with a 4 pin XLR male > 4 pin XLR female to a TRS jack so they can be used both single ended or balanced because the headphone is essentially designed as balanced. It may cost them just under ten dollars to do this. 

Well the anti-climax part is that this the first time I have taken the HE-500 to bedroom so I can listen to them during the night. Unfortunately they leak sound heavily and they are very prone to sound from outside, disturbing the experience. Of course my house is very quite in the night and the music finally has the that enjoyable richness and authority that my speakers could call upon only with some real loudness risking neighbor interventions. But wife is not pleased and she has started voicing her displeasure at my sonic nirvana at the cost of her sleep. So finally I am where I started. Unable to listen to my beloved speaker setup for fear of annoying wife and neighbors and now at risk of giving up my night time HE-500 sessions to my wife...I am told women were created from men's ribs and I am sure the sonic DNA was lost from them during this transfer. No wait, the Dubstep Girl is a girl 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back