HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 21, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #14,641 of 20,386

Apologies if my remark came over as somewhat snide, I really do appreciate the trouble you've gone to compare the cables. If I had access to Mogami cable locally and good solder I'd try soldering my own cable as well.

This is what my HE-500 internal wiring looks like...

That red cable to me looks like a bottleneck regardless of what wire you are connecting to the SMC connector. This is why I think a shielded cable might be worth more as it reduces EMI over the entire length of the cable so in theory you should have a blacker background, but the electrons might go on strike once they hit that awful red piece of wire.

I doubt that a short piece of wire is going to be a problem when the impedance is relatively low and there is no gain. If this was a microphone going to a high gain preamp, I'd be more concerned.

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #14,642 of 20,386
I'm still waiting for the announcement of a new line of headphone cables made on an assembly line of primates. C'mon Thurston, what gives? Union problems?

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #14,643 of 20,386
  I doubt that a short piece of wire is going to be a problem when the impedance is relatively low and there is no gain. If this was a microphone going to a high gain preamp, I'd be more concerned.

*sigh*, Stan and there I was looking for an excuse to buy a cheaper cable and you of all people have to burst the bubble... 
wink.gif
 One of these days I'll have to send you a real "visblik"...

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #14,644 of 20,386

*sigh*, Stan and there I was looking for an excuse to buy a cheaper cable and you of all people have to burst the bubble... 
wink.gif
 One of these days I'll have to send you a real "visblik"...

I prefer anchovies, not sardines. I'll be checking the expiration date on the can.
I'm not a proponent of overpriced cables, so cheaper is OK as long as it's not junk.
I'm still waiting for the grand opening of Monkey Cables.

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #14,645 of 20,386
  I prefer anchovies, not sardines. I'll be checking the expiration date on the can.
I'm not a proponent of overpriced cables, so cheaper is OK as long as it's not junk.
I'm still waiting for the grand opening of Monkey Cables.

Indeed we are!

Good choice on the anchovies, they are quite great over here, especially on pizza.

Lets hope we don't end up with an electron traffic jam, once that super speedy conducting cable is in place! The red wire is just the parking lot with a couple of speed bumps thrown in for good measure.

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #14,646 of 20,386

Indeed we are!

Good choice on the anchovies, they are quite great over here, especially on pizza.

Lets hope we don't end up with an electron traffic jam, once that super speedy conducting cable is in place! The red wire is just the parking lot with a couple of speed bumps thrown in for good measure.

The red wire is a test to see if you're cured of babbelas.

Sep 21, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #14,647 of 20,386
  I'm still waiting for the announcement of a new line of headphone cables made on an assembly line of primates. C'mon Thurston, what gives? Union problems?

Given the problems I just had completing a new HFM cable (&$#^%^%$%!  SMC connectors!!), I think I'll lie low for a bit, enjoy it (it lives!!) and the music flowing through it.

re: the primates and unions, turns out they throw so much schiit around that no union workers would take the job of cleaning it up.  Thus ends Magick Monkey Cables.

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #14,649 of 20,386

Here's my going away present 
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #14,650 of 20,386
  This is what my HE-500 internal wiring looks like...

That red cable to me looks like a bottleneck regardless of what wire you are connecting to the SMC connector. This is why I think a shielded cable might be worth more as it reduces EMI over the entire length of the cable so in theory you should have a blacker background, but the electrons might go on strike once they hit that awful red piece of wire.

If you can solder and your new cable is only for 500's get rid of the SMC + internal cable. The solder points are below the black ring, just make sure the new cable cannot be tugged out.
"$400 new external cable/25 cents internal cable" No point doing things in halves....

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #14,651 of 20,386
Definitely a point in doing that, as long as you don't know about it you won't mind anyway. Placebo and stuff. Ever thought about the 'wire' in the driver?

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #14,653 of 20,386
  Sweet, let me know when Rangy is ready to ship them. I'll be waiting.

FYI: the photos were your going away present 
wink.gif

I've decided that the cable makers know exactly what they're doing.  Magick Monkey Cables hereby announces a drastic price increase.  Still less than the big boys, who, of course, have a big experience gap over me.

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #14,654 of 20,386
Just put the black version of one these on my HE-500s

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261445245520

Yes, it's wool, but being "merino" wool (see caveat, below), it feels very soft out of the package.  It will seem warmer than other pads, but even in my warm upstairs Lab it's not itchy.  It definitely provides nice padding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merino says:

"The term merino is widely used in the textile industries, but it cannot be taken to mean the fabric in question is actually 100% merino wool from a Merino strain bred specifically for its wool. The wool of any Merino sheep, whether reared in Spain or elsewhere, is "merino wool". However, not all merino sheep produce wool suitable for clothing, and especially for clothing worn next to the skin. This depends on the particular strain of the breed."

The seller claims its pure wool, and who am I to argue.  For $10, I doubt you will, either.

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #14,655 of 20,386
Just put the black version of one these on my HE-500s

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261445245520

Yes, it's wool, but being "merino" wool (see caveat, below), it feels very soft out of the package.  It will seem warmer than other pads, but even in my warm upstairs Lab it's not itchy.  It definitely provides nice padding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merino says:

"[COLOR=252525]The term [/COLOR][COLOR=252525]merino[/COLOR][COLOR=252525] is widely used in the textile industries, but it cannot be taken to mean the fabric in question is actually 100% merino wool from a Merino strain bred specifically for its wool. The wool of any Merino sheep, whether reared in Spain or elsewhere, is "merino wool". However, not all merino sheep produce wool suitable for clothing, and especially for clothing worn next to the skin. This depends on the particular strain of the breed.[/COLOR]"

The seller claims its pure wool, and who am I to argue.  For $10, I doubt you will, either.

I have been waiting for over two weeks on mine. Can't wait to try them out! Also got that black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back