HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 8, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #11,806 of 20,386

Glad you got your Miniwatts and they're working out.  Is it ever the end game with tubes though?  
biggrin.gif

Saw your pix in the other thread.  Now you just need a comfy kick-back-and-enjoy chair.  The back of the one in the shot not shown here makes my back cringe 
wink.gif

And don't mind StanD.  He's a troublemaker, as if it weren't painfully obvious (yeah, yeah, takes one to know one!)

Trouble is my middle name by mistake, it should have been my first name. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #11,807 of 20,386
Feb 8, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #11,809 of 20,386
  Looking forward to reading the reviews between the HE-500 and the HE-560.

double +infinity on that comparison for sure!
sadly, I think it will be a number of months before a consensus (if ever? ha) is reached.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #11,810 of 20,386
  Looking forward to reading the reviews between the HE-500 and the HE-560.

double +infinity on that comparison for sure!
sadly, I think it will be a number of months before a consensus (if ever? ha) is reached.

I wonder how much of it will be BS and the flash mob speaking out of turn.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #11,811 of 20,386
I'm sure I'll be one of them. But I will have a 2hr drive home to think before I start speaking put of turn. I'm going to be putting some money down tomorrow on a pair of headphones. If I don't find the headphone that screams for me I will be waiting for the 560. Also very interested in the new pads as I find the current versions to be uncomfortable

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #11,813 of 20,386
 Anyone throw on some Denon D2k pads? I had some laying around and I immediately prefer them to the velours (EDIT: Comfort wise). Maybe I'll try some of my old D2k pad mods ... aka stuffing cotton balls in the pads. They don't seem to sound as good though. More veiled, but much better bass.

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #11,814 of 20,386

Glad you got your Miniwatts and they're working out.  Is it ever the end game with tubes though?  
biggrin.gif

Saw your pix in the other thread.  Now you just need a comfy kick-back-and-enjoy chair.  The back of the one in the shot not shown here makes my back cringe 
wink.gif

And don't mind StanD.  He's a troublemaker, as if it weren't painfully obvious (yeah, yeah, takes one to know one!)

I do have a comfy chair you just can't see it in the picture (it's on the side). 
biggrin.gif
 I really really dig the Philips Miniwatt E88CC. I think I like them more than the Dario Miniwatt E188CC and the Telefunken ECC88. Also like them more than some other ones I've had, although I can't directly compare now.

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #11,816 of 20,386
Quick question guys - do I need to do any mods to get the HE-500 to work in balanced mode?   Or is it merely a matter of getting a balanced cable and plug-n-play?

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #11,817 of 20,386
   Anyone throw on some Denon D2k pads? I had some laying around and I immediately prefer them to the velours (EDIT: Comfort wise). Maybe I'll try some of my old D2k pad mods ... aka stuffing cotton balls in the pads. They don't seem to sound as good though. More veiled, but much better bass.

That's because the pad slots cover up much of the driver. Its like trading airiness for bass extension. In theory Audeze leather pads should be the best fit for the He-500's, they have large pad slots.

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #11,818 of 20,386
  Quick question guys - do I need to do any mods to get the HE-500 to work in balanced mode?   Or is it merely a matter of getting a balanced cable and plug-n-play?

Thanks!

You may reterminate to xlr the standard cable (you may term it a mod, if you like) or buy a cable already xlr terminated (the plug-n-play "balanced" cable you mention)

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #11,819 of 20,386
  You may reterminate to xlr the standard cable (you may term it a mod, if you like) or buy a cable already xlr terminated (the plug-n-play "balanced" cable you mention)

Thanks for that - so i dont need to do anything to the headphone, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back