HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 17, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #11,071 of 20,386
  You guys are such mod amateurs.

Professionals like me take out the HE-500 driver all together and throw away the uselss pads, grills, cups and headband and then mount the planar driver directly onto the ears. I've soldered them to my ears now. There was a little bleeding, but the sound is well worth it. It sounds way more open now.

I also keep my head inside a drawer to prevent dusting, but it's hard to close the drawer all the way because of my neck.

No love for LCD-2s, I'll take em.

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #11,072 of 20,386
  I think you should remove the fabric altogether, I've noticed these headphone are very sensitive so any sort of obstacles place in front of the cups, even placing a finger in front of the grills congests and darkens the sound. I'd can imagine why, planer magnetic drivers push out a lot of air from the back end too. As of right now, they sound absolutely wonderful, I can drive them very well at high gain with my O2 amp (props to NwAvGuy), and the sparkle-y treble isn't even an issue anymore (though it needs a little tweaking I can't see it being a problem as of right now).

All right, so either I remove the fabric from one pair of grills and A/B them against the ones with the fabric... or I solder the drivers to my head.  Decisions decisions.  hifimanrookie, what would YOU do?!  And don't tell me to buy a $5K amp, or I'll fly over there and steal yours!  
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #11,073 of 20,386
All right, so either I remove the fabric from one pair of grills and A/B them against the ones with the fabric... or I solder the drivers to my head.  Decisions decisions.  hifimanrookie, what would YOU do?!  And don't tell me to buy a $5K amp, or I'll fly over there and steal yours!  :wink:

Well..before u even come close to any amp in my house u have to go through my wife and my daughter..they are like pitbulls now protecting and admiring my new code-x, and trust me they are deadly with their heavy handbags! :D
They BOTH have the pic with my daughter with the codex on on their facebook profile and shared it..trust me..thats a miracle!!! And funny is..although i know the code-x is heavier then my he500 my daughter could have it on her head for at least 30min without pain!!!! And she is just 11.. So i am guessing it has to do with the memory foam Luis put in the headband that makes it feel less heavy?

And i would never advice u to buy a 5k amp..i just let u listen to my rig when we one day meet on a headfi meet..thats all...u then decide if u wanna break ur bank or not.. :D u see am a nice guy :veryevil:

But i for sure wouldnt attach phones to ur ears..that would get messy if u go into the shower (for the phones..lolz)..and not going is also not an alternative..as ur wife/girlfriend would kill u first and then me for advising that..hehehehe

But seriously..for me taking off the grills was, especially with the modulor pads made the sound more open...less headphone like.. Especially if u have very high quality recordings..like 24bit/96 bit vinyl rips of groups in the past who still knew how to make music..like art and garfunkel or queen... A guitar was a guitar..raw and pure..no rubbish filters to make it sound MORE REAL...lolz with thos kind of recordings (live) u for sure can pinpoint the musicians better in the soundstage...more 3d.. But u do have to have a good rig i am guessing to get the best out of that grill mod..maybe a 3000usd amp? Lolz...i was very pleased with it!

Ps..taking of the fabric didnt do much..taking the grills off altogether did..in the end i had a extreme grill made by me with huge holes...so i had some kind of protection (from fingers) for the drivers.

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #11,074 of 20,386
  You guys are such mod amateurs.

Professionals like me take out the HE-500 driver all together and throw away the uselss pads, grills, cups and headband and then mount the planar driver directly onto the ears. I've soldered them to my ears now. There was a little bleeding, but the sound is well worth it. It sounds way more open now.

I also keep my head inside a drawer to prevent dusting, but it's hard to close the drawer all the way because of my neck.

Obviously you have been assimilated by the Borg. What's the burn in period?
Don't let them upgrade your OS, especially if it's from Microsoft.

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #11,075 of 20,386

Windows hifiman 1.1? Ofcourse u first download the beta version :D

By the way look at this..a new headphone especially for gaming and movies..is this the abyss alternative for gaming and movies? The price is 3100usd....excluded extras! for a gaming phone! :D and i thought my 399euro beyer mmx300 was expensive for a gaming headphone :wink:

https://www.bluwavs.com/p-1-bluwavs-fiji.aspx

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #11,076 of 20,386

Windows hifiman 1.1? Ofcourse u first download the beta version
biggrin.gif

By the way look at this..a new headphone especially for gaming and movies..is this the abyss alternative for gaming and movies? The price is 3100usd....excluded extras! for a gaming phone!
biggrin.gif
and i thought my 399euro beyer mmx300 was expensive for a gaming headphone
wink.gif

https://www.bluwavs.com/p-1-bluwavs-fiji.aspx

Nobody's getting near my ears with a soldering iron, even if the sound will be out of this world. Did you ever experience Windows 1? Low display resolution and the windows did not overlap. If you think that today Windows has issues, back then a BSOD would have been a positive experience.
Edit: I almost forgot to ask. When are your BlueWavs going to be delivered?

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #11,077 of 20,386

Borg burn-in period after assmilation is around 50 to 100 hours for full assmilation into the hive mind. This is alien tech beyond your Earth education so don't even try to argue.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #11,078 of 20,386
Nobody's getting near my ears with a soldering iron, even if the sound will be out of this world. Did you ever experience Windows 1? Low display resolution and the windows did not overlap. If you think that today Windows has issues, back then a BSOD would have been a positive experience.
Edit: I almost forgot to ask. When are your BlueWavs going to be delivered?

Lolz..i do remember windows and especially when we went from msdos or ddrdos...damn..that was a step...no black and white screens..i got a 14inch 16color screen on my desk! Thats was almost sci fi! And i secretly played DOOM on it..yep doom 1 loaded from floppy disks. Lolz...

I dont know what to think of those bluewavs...but am broke now anyway..my audio budget is empty..and next year my whole budget will be for a speaker rig for my new house that will be ready around september..i will get the keys in oktober i understand..so next year is booked also.. :D

BUt U NEVER KNOW..i tend to make impulsive purchases sometimes..like my code-x..i was looking to buy a he6 in february (second hand) and what did i do?? Yep..code red..oops i mean code -x..

but no kidding..that phone is seriously sexy..that black is not really black..its blackish with a dark brownish thingie deep inside..when light hits it (u can see it on the pics where the flash hits it.its brownish there)..now i have to ask my artistic brother to make me a even so sexy stand for it..ofcourse custommade... :p

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #11,079 of 20,386
At 3k I'd expect them to measure my personal HRTF and use that as base for the virtual surround!

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #11,080 of 20,386

Borg burn-in period after assmilation is around 50 to 100 hours for full assmilation into the hive mind. This is alien tech beyond your Earth education so don't even try to argue.
tongue_smile.gif

They won't get me, my mind is blank and my blood is rusty. Oh, I've already been burned in.

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #11,081 of 20,386
Lolz..i do remember windows and especially when we went from msdos or ddrdos...damn..that was a step...no black and white screens..i got a 14inch 16color screen on my desk! Thats was almost sci fi! And i secretly played DOOM on it..yep doom 1 loaded from floppy disks. Lolz...

I dont know what to think of those bluewavs...but am broke now anyway..my audio budget is empty..and next year my whole budget will be for a speaker rig for my new house that will be ready around september..i will get the keys in oktober i understand..so next year is booked also..
biggrin.gif

BUt U NEVER KNOW..i tend to make impulsive purchases sometimes..like my code-x..i was looking to buy a he6 in february (second hand) and what did i do?? Yep..code red..oops i mean code -x..

but no kidding..that phone is seriously sexy..that black is not really black..its blackish with a dark brownish thingie deep inside..when light hits it (u can see it on the pics where the flash hits it.its brownish there)..now i have to ask my artistic brother to make me a even so sexy stand for it..ofcourse custommade...
tongue.gif

So when do you start your new career as a bank robber? 
wink_face.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #11,082 of 20,386
So when do you start your new career as a bank robber? :wink_face:

Who says i am not already one...oops...ssssttt .or i could be a banker next year .or a politician..as those are even worse then a bank robber sometimes.. :D

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #11,084 of 20,386
Let me know if you need a getaway spaceship. Our Borg Cube is pretty fast ever since we got that Transwarp Drive installed.
thanks! Good to know..those pityful non-he500 users wont know what hit them :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back