HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #10,411 of 20,386
I just went back and looked at the pictures, lots of opamps. The tube contingent of Head-Fi won't approve, I do. Just be careful of noise when you have that many opamps. I hope that it does what you expect, you must be waiting at the edge of your seat.

Yep..i am the enemy now for that group..lolz
Am not worried about the opamps...he is the authority concerning amps based on opamps..his NSL has 288 opamps inside! and all his amps sound wonderfull..

Yess..waiting is hell..especially now..as its only a few weeks away from finishing..but hey..have been waiting since june..so waiting a little more wont kill me.. But trust me..when i do get my amp... U better close ur ears..as i will scream like a lion of happiness... :D

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #10,412 of 20,386
Yep..i am the enemy now for that group..lolz
Am not worried about the opamps...he is the authority concerning amps based on opamps..his NSL has 288 opamps inside! and all his amps sound wonderfull..

Yess..waiting is hell..especially now..as its only a few weeks away from finishing..but hey..have been waiting since june..so waiting a little more wont kill me.. But trust me..when i do get my amp... U better close ur ears..as i will scream like a lion of happiness...
biggrin.gif

From the looks of it, since the HE-500's are open back, I'll hear it from across Europe and the Atlantic.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #10,413 of 20,386
From the looks of it, since the HE-500's are open back, I'll hear it from across Europe and the Atlantic.

I sold my he500's :wink:
Am now waiting for something very special and unique..headphone wise.. Only 20 originals will be made..and they are all sold out now...and yep..also open back..but much harder to drive then the excellent he500.. :p

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #10,414 of 20,386
I just went back and looked at the pictures, lots of opamps. The tube contingent of Head-Fi won't approve, I do. Just be careful of noise when you have that many opamps. I hope that it does what you expect, you must be waiting at the edge of your seat.

Actually the reviewer of the speaker amp on which this is based called it eerily quiet. http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/blue_circle_nsl.htm

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #10,415 of 20,386
I sold my he500's
wink.gif

Am now waiting for something very special and unique..headphone wise.. Only 20 originals will be made..and they are all sold out now...and yep..also open back..but much harder to drive then the excellent he500..
tongue.gif

I guess you're taking a chance on it and hope your risk is rewarded. Well it looks like you're getting prepared. Although one isn't going to find a smartphone, simple DAP or low end amp capable of driving an HE-500 to satisfaction, they aren't all that difficult to drive and sound great. Even though they are a bit heavy, I don't find them uncomfortable as some others do, I can wear them for hours on end. For me the headband distributes the weight very effectively,

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #10,416 of 20,386

Actually the reviewer of the speaker amp on which this is based called it eerily quiet. http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/blue_circle_nsl.htm

Dang, for 20 grand that thing better do my laundry and then some.

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #10,418 of 20,386

Dang, for 20 grand that thing better do my laundry and then some.

$20k for 15 days work!  That's a pretty good salary if you asked me.  
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #10,419 of 20,386
$20k for 15 days work!  That's a pretty good salary if you asked me.  :p

Its not only labor my friend..ur forgetting the best components/materials money can buy that he uses on/in his products..did u check the backside of my new amp? Just Check the thickness and perfect workmanship of that (mirrorshine?) Stainless steel rearside of my amp...thats not flimsy! And no cheapish aluminium plating...And that blue paint on the inside must have a reason also..and probably not cheap..also the immaculate paintjob of that inside wont be free..lolz to be honest..its first time i see a brand painting the INSIDE of their amp :D
I am just thinking...i once bought 1 opamp to upgrade an excellent matrix mstage i once had..it was around 28usd...soooooo lets make a simple calculation: 28x288=8064usd..., as there are 288x quality opamps inside the NSL...ru starting to get the picture? :wink:

So al in all i am guessin that 19950usd (for a STANDARD NSL) pricetag isnt very high if u look at the total costs concerned..

Yes he probably makes a good living out of it..he told me he has a backlog as long as august 2014 already...but why not? He does extremely good work...with as far i could find..NOT ONE DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER (and many are customers for life as he has sort of an upgrade plan for their amps no matter how old..)and He works hard for it...10hours a day..day in day out..i only have respect for that..
But yah..his products are not emotiva affordable... But then again...u get what u pay for i guess. :wink:
AND just in case i offend anyone...the emotiva is an excellent amp for its money! As is the 337 i had or the other amp i once owned..the matrix mstage.

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #10,420 of 20,386
Its not only labor my friend..ur forgetting the best components/materials money can buy that he uses on/in his products..did u check the backside of my new amp? Just Check the thickness and perfect workmanship of that (mirrorshine?) Stainless steel rearside of my amp...thats not flimsy! And no cheapish aluminium plating...And that blue paint on the inside must have a reason also..and probably not cheap..also the immaculate paintjob of that inside wont be free..lolz to be honest..its first time i see a brand painting the INSIDE of their amp :D
I am just thinking...i once bought 1 opamp to upgrade an excellent matrix mstage i once had..it was around 28usd...soooooo lets make a simple calculation: 28x288=8064usd..., as there are 288x quality opamps inside the NSL...ru starting to get the picture? :wink:

So al in all i am guessin that 19950usd (for a STANDARD NSL) pricetag isnt very high if u look at the total costs concerned..

Yes he probably makes a good living out of it..he told me he has a backlog as long as august 2014 already...but why not? He does extremely good work...with as far i could find..NOT ONE DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER (and many are customers for life as he has sort of an upgrade plan for their amps no matter how old..)and He works hard for it...10hours a day..day in day out..i only have respect for that..
But yah..his products are not emotiva affordable... But then again...u get what u pay for i guess. :wink:
AND just in case i offend anyone...the emotiva is an excellent amp for its money! As is the 337 i had or the other amp i once owned..the matrix mstage.

You're crazy :)

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #10,422 of 20,386
For 20k I could buy an Orpheus and would still have money left for a SR-009.

I dont think so...i jsut saw a confidential for an he90 orpeus system..asking price 18,000euro!..for the amp and phones..
But thats a headphone amp...the NSL of 20,000usd is a speaker amp...so a Competely different animal.
My headphone dac/amp costs much less being around 5000usd (as its less powerfull and a dedicated headphone amp with only one input.. USB)..and for that price u cant have a orpheus system..or even a sr009 system..

But in the end its all about the eye of the beholder who buys what and for what price.. Thats the fun of headfi... We are are different..if everyone would buy stax (sr007?) because its in that price range headfi would be very boring i am guessing... :D

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #10,423 of 20,386
I dont think so...i jsut saw a confidential for an he90 orpeus system..asking price 18,000euro!..for the amp and phones..
But thats a headphone amp...the NSL of 20,000usd is a speaker amp...so a Competely different animal.
My headphone dac/amp costs much less being around 5000usd (as its less powerfull and a dedicated headphone amp with only one input.. USB)..and for that price u cant have a orpheus system..or even a sr009 system..

But in the end its all about the eye of the beholder who buys what and for what price.. Thats the fun of headfi... We are are different..if everyone would buy stax (sr007?) because its in that price range headfi would be very boring i am guessing... :D

I would ask your amp builder to declare a lower value than five grand. The customs bill on that would be outrageous.

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #10,424 of 20,386
I would ask your amp builder to declare a lower value than five grand. The customs bill on that would be outrageous.

Ofcourse i will..as otherwise my bill would be a total of around 7400usd when deliverd from canada to my doorstep..as its around 600usd postage based on wieght and measurements (found online)..and on total of those prices (product&postage&insurance) i have to up it with 30-35% in taxes and customcosts. :xf_eek:
Lucky i have some reseves that my wife doesnt know about..as she still thinks my new amp is second hand and under 1000 euro.. Oopsie :veryevil:

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #10,425 of 20,386

But in the end its all about the eye of the beholder who buys what and for what price.. Thats the fun of headfi... We are are different..if everyone would buy stax (sr007?) because its in that price range headfi would be very boring i am guessing...
biggrin.gif

20k is expensive even for a speaker amp. You can get some great speakers for half that price.

About Orpheus: http://www.head-fi.org/t/697285/fs-sennheiser-he90-orpheus-electrostatic-headphone

Also: http://www.htforum.com/vb/showthread.php/165415-Sennheiser-Orpheus-HE90-HeadAmp-Aristaeus?highlight=orpheus

R$ 28,000 =~ U$12,000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back