HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 24, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #10,096 of 20,386
This is seriosuly insane sounding on the HE-500. Free and lossless.

http://rustyjoints.bandcamp.com/album/robot-in-your-ear

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #10,097 of 20,386
^awesome.  Thx.

Dirt lovely = my favorite so far.

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #10,099 of 20,386
My favorite too. XD

3 hours straight on the HE500.  I was about to go to sleep then saw your link to the album so I downloaded it and listened briefly thru the album but ended up repeating Dirt lovely 3 times.
Gnite bud. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #10,100 of 20,386
Does anybody here have the Mr Speakers Mad Dogs and how do they compare. I'm in need for a closed can..

Dontforget the other great fostex modded phone..the paradox! And now a new version came out..the slant! :wink: Its of the same maker of my code-x

Edit...just came upon this review on a german based high end audio forum:

https://docs.google.com/presentation...25f83b2cd_0407

The mad dogs are not very well tested :xf_eek:

And this quote: :xf_eek:

Unfortunately the Mad Dog and Paradox mods aren't DIY. Those mods are secret and will cost several hundreds to have them done for you. That takes some of the fun away. And it would be very difficult to decide between either the Mad Dog or Paradox without being able to personally hear each and make my own decision about which better suits my preferences.

There's also the Thunderpants, which I have heard in several variations. They're on my wish list. I like the sound. Great sound from the bass through upper midrange. But the treble doesn't have the same smoothness and lushness as the midrange. So the treble sounds out of place and sort of staticy compared to the midrange. The treble doesn't integrate well with the mids. A minor quibble. And with most any other headphone the treble would be fine. But this isn't any other headphone. The quality of the midrange makes me expect more of the treble. I don't know if the Mad Dog or Paradox have similar challenges with the treble.

I'm not sure what I'm going to end up doing with my T50RP. I'll likely play with some mods. I also want to get familiar with its stock sound.

I already have a LCD-2 rev2 that already tickles my fancies and gives me magic sound. The T50RP isn't going to best the LCD-2. But the T50RP is closed and will be useful in situations where the LCD-2 isn't.

REPLY ON THIS POST:

Right but the level of quality all three mods have is way above average. I used to own some Thunderpants but the bass just never seemed right to me. They were also a bit dark sounding. The wood cups were beautiful though.

The Mad Dogs sound like cheap LCD-2 knock off to me. The bass is off, the mids are shouty and the highs are a bit off as well. It's like a handicapped LCD-2 that's more uncomfortable to wear.

The Paradox are on another level. They are closed but sound completely open and provide a great seal. Even with meet noise, I could hear the music loud and clear. I definitely preferred it over the HE-6 and LCD-2. It's true quality is found in it's refinement and neutrality.

Having the MD's, the Paradox, LCD-2, HE-6 all nearby really helps you A/B sound. The Paradox might be DIY but it is the best sounding closed headphone I have ever heard and even better than most high end open headphones.

I ordered a T50RP from B&H Photo to get Paradoxed. I just hope my pair sounds like the one at the meet and that LFF doesn't decide to keep my headphones as this is the first time I ever go out on a limb like this.
salleno, Aug 20, 2012 #13

Another reply:

Yeah. The Mad Dogs do get a lot of love and that's why I was so interested in them. They are cheap and get rave reviews. Talking with a member there, he pointed out that the rave reviews mainly come from "newbies" but I thought that was a condescending comment. What do I know.

To me, they are a cheap LCD knock off but the LCD-2 is clearly better in ever aspect. Even comfort.

I didn't understand why the Paradox wasn't getting as much love but it seems only certain members owned them before LFF officially started selling them. They really are comparable to the SR-009 and his comfort strap really works. They are very, very comfortable and the sound I heard really left an impression on me.

Before ordering I researched a bit and this post (#12) made me go out on limb, especially considering what this guy owns!:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/577060/irvine-orange-county-meet-impressions#post_7843631

LFF has quoted me a 2-3 week build time...so I just have to be patient.
salleno, Aug 20, 2012 #15

Just trying to help out texfeud :D

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #10,102 of 20,386
  Cool, thanks! I'll look into them. Price is also a factor here because I will be using it only in situations where I won't be able to use the HE-500. 
cool.gif

Totally different cans, but my wife and I really like the AKG K550s.  Not too expensive.  Maybe you can demo them.  I can tell you their ability to isolate external sounds and not leak (and she listens WAY too loud! :wink: is excellent.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #10,104 of 20,386
  Cool, thanks! I'll look into them. Price is also a factor here because I will be using it only in situations where I won't be able to use the HE-500. 
cool.gif

Look into the Alpha Dogs.  I don't know what your price point is, but the Alpha Dogs is one of the best bang for buck headphones out.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/676095/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-revealed-the-worlds-first-production-3d-printed-headphones

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #10,105 of 20,386

Look into the Alpha Dogs.  I don't know what your price point is, but the Alpha Dogs is one of the best bang for buck headphones out.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/676095/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-revealed-the-worlds-first-production-3d-printed-headphones

Yeah that one would be my choice if I could get them for the same price in Europa as in USA (599$ or 438 euro). But I can't so that one isn't an option 
frown.gif

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #10,108 of 20,386
  Custom fees of 25% and standard fee of 20-30 euro. So that adds up. 
frown.gif

no worries, the akg k550 are a great pair of headphones!

edit: if you're thinkin abt goin portable there's the new akg 545

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #10,109 of 20,386
  Aah they can be found cheap which is a pre. Will they work well with Schiit Lyr? 

They are very easily driven, so the Lyr is almost overkill.  But since you already own one... 
L3000.gif

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #10,110 of 20,386
I hate choosing. So I went to Marktplaats (Dutch Ebay pretty much) and wrote some people selling their closed cans. From Aiaiai to AKG K545; I wrote everybody with an offer. First one to accept my offer I take. That way I don't have to browse Head-Fi for three days untill I make up my mind, lol. 

Portability would be a plus though. I'm in the train every once in a whole. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back