HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 20, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #691 of 20,374
Is that the HE-6 OCC cable, or the OFC cable sold separate by HiFiMAN?

It's an HE-6 OCC cable. I think it sounds exactly the same as the stock HE-500 cable. It's just a lot lighter and more flexible. Plus, it ends in a 1/4" plug. Kind of stupid for the stock cable to end in a 1/8".

By the way, does anyone else think that the stock HE-500 cable is pretty shoddy? They didn't glue mine properly. The adapter does not sit completely flush. So, sometimes sound would only come out of one channel. I can push the sleeve down a bit to fix it, but I shouldn't have to.

Oh well, I have the HE-6 cable now.

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #692 of 20,374
Heya,

So I'm enjoying my HE-500's. I'm going to pay it a big compliment. I was looking for a single headphone that had the exquisite mids of the SRH940 and the bass capability of the PRO 900. The HE-500 does that for me. I had over 12 pairs of headphones because no headphone satisfied my needs in mids and bass at the same time. The HE-500 does it. They're bright, but not tizzy or shrilly. The mids are generous and gorgeous and detailed and forward. The bass extends low, impacts well and is lush and full. I don't feel like bass is left behind at all. I compared to the PRO 900 before I sold it and it was quite similar in many ways. I was floored.

The headphone itself is pretty heavy actually and I like that. I love knowing it's heavy because it's not made entirely of plastic. It's very comfortable. I'm wearing it for hours with no problems. Huge cups. Style is superb, simple, clean and classy.

Female vocals are insane. "Young Blood" by Norah Jones is crazy. Goose bumps crazy. Ani Difranco is pretty much in the room with me. Even electronic music comes through with authority. Some Rusko and Robyn are excellent, and the drop is low, hard and rumbly but controlled, it's so gorgeous. Also does metal/rock with serious authority. Buckethead & Petrucci are just crazy.

The only thing the HE-500 isn't doing for me... is getting me another beer so I don't have to move.

Very best,
basshead.gif

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #693 of 20,374
Mal,

Good to see you're enjoying your HE-500! It seems I missed the fire sale on all of your gear. Your praises of the SRH940s make me very interested in it for a portable commute option. 

Anyway, I was wondering what your thoughts were regarding your Lyr vs. MKIII? I'm looking to upgrade my computer station and the Lyr is on my short list. I figured the HE-500 and LCD-2 are so similar that your impressions should carry over. 

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #694 of 20,374

Quote:
Mal,

Good to see you're enjoying your HE-500! It seems I missed the fire sale on all of your gear. Your praises of the SRH940s make me very interested in it for a portable commute option. 

Anyway, I was wondering what your thoughts were regarding your Lyr vs. MKIII? I'm looking to upgrade my computer station and the Lyr is on my short list. I figured the HE-500 and LCD-2 are so similar that your impressions should carry over. 

Heya,

Yes'sir, still loving them. I'm still very skeptical though in the sense that I must test the SRH940 with the revision 2 of the ZO once released. Because if it's even a hair similar, it's going to be a flagship killer in my opinion. A lot of people will scoff at that, but hey, it's only one person's opinion so who cares. I honestly think if the SRH940 had bass that was really able to kick it, it would be a ridiculously good setup. So I'm going to try it and see.

The Lyr vs. the MKIII. Well, very stark actually. The MKIII can power these headphones, but, not fully. I asked and was told it would power them. Sure, that's true. I have volume. But it's under powered, I can hear clipping some times. The Lyr, I don't hear that. It's just solid tight sound no matter the volume, no matter the tone. The Lyr really was meant to power othros. At this point I'm selling my MKIII as I have no use for it for now. The MKIII is a really good amp, but you can really hear a noise floor on the Lyr. It's not meant for headphones that are very sensitive and low impedance, even as a hybrid. The Lyr is meant to throw voltage at headphones that can take stupid amounts and just keep playing. Orthos. Dyanmics, well, the Lyr is really not the amp I would select for a dynamic headphone, not even the K701. Again, noise floor. And I don't believe in $300 cables, so I cannot comment there in terms of how it effects differences between amps.

Unfortunately I don't have the LCD-2 to compare directly. But it's supposed to run more efficiently, yet still can eat all the power from something like the Lyr.

Very best,

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #695 of 20,374
I got my spare HE-6 cable for the HE-500, and in just a short time listening I'm really pleased with the improved micro-detail.  

And, with this cable and my TWag balanced 4-pin adapter I tried the HE-500 out of my balanced SR-71b amp for the first time, and I was pretty well blown away by the combo.  Highly recommended for you all to try someday.  I'm using the DACmini as source, with a Soloz 12-strand Litz braid RCA-mini interconnect into the SR-71b.  I need to listen some more, but I suspect that this an even better match than my LCD-2 with silver dragon cable on the same rig.

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #696 of 20,374
I got my spare HE-6 cable for the HE-500, and in just a short time listening I'm really pleased with the improved micro-detail.  

And, with this cable and my TWag balanced 4-pin adapter I tried the HE-500 out of my balanced SR-71b amp for the first time, and I was pretty well blown away by the combo.  Highly recommended for you all to try someday.  I'm using the DACmini as source, with a Soloz 12-strand Litz braid RCA-mini interconnect into the SR-71b.  I need to listen some more, but I suspect that this an even better match than my LCD-2 with silver dragon cable on the same rig.

This was my finding as well. The 6 cable does a better job than the supplied cable. Now that may be because of the balanced connection vs the se cable that comes with it.

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #697 of 20,374

Quote:
Heya,

So I'm enjoying my HE-500's. I'm going to pay it a big compliment. I was looking for a single headphone that had the exquisite mids of the SRH940 and the bass capability of the PRO 900. The HE-500 does that for me. I had over 12 pairs of headphones because no headphone satisfied my needs in mids and bass at the same time. The HE-500 does it. They're bright, but not tizzy or shrilly. The mids are generous and gorgeous and detailed and forward. The bass extends low, impacts well and is lush and full. I don't feel like bass is left behind at all. I compared to the PRO 900 before I sold it and it was quite similar in many ways. I was floored.

The headphone itself is pretty heavy actually and I like that. I love knowing it's heavy because it's not made entirely of plastic. It's very comfortable. I'm wearing it for hours with no problems. Huge cups. Style is superb, simple, clean and classy.

Female vocals are insane. "Young Blood" by Norah Jones is crazy. Goose bumps crazy. Ani Difranco is pretty much in the room with me. Even electronic music comes through with authority. Some Rusko and Robyn are excellent, and the drop is low, hard and rumbly but controlled, it's so gorgeous. Also does metal/rock with serious authority. Buckethead & Petrucci are just crazy.

The only thing the HE-500 isn't doing for me... is getting me another beer so I don't have to move.

Very best,
basshead.gif

Welcome to the club (of high-end headphones)!

I've stalked all the posts you have on the regular headphone forum (jk jk but I have seen a lot of your posts) and congrats on finding a pair you have settled on (at least temporary).  These headphones sure do cost a lot, don't you agree they are miles ahead of those mid tier cans?

I had the chance to hear them (very briefly though in a not so ideal environment) at a big meet a couple weeks back and they sound exactly like what all the reviews said.  Sounds like an HE-6 with tamer treble, slightly warmer mids.  I actually thought they were surprisingly easy to power, they weren't at their full potential but close to it.

After hearing them, I think I prefer the T1 was also available at the meet because of the more exciting treble.  Overall this is a great headphone for those who don't want another amp just for an HE-6 or felt they wanted a slightly warmer HE-6.

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #698 of 20,374

Quote:
These headphones sure do cost a lot, don't you agree they are miles ahead of those mid tier cans?  
After hearing them, I think I prefer the T1 was also available at the meet because of the more exciting treble.  Overall this is a great headphone for those who don't want another amp just for an HE-6 or felt they wanted a slightly warmer HE-6.

Heya,

That's the thing, I don't think they're miles ahead. I think they're ahead, but it's not a margin so great that if I put them on my friend's head and ask them to rate the sound quality from 1 to 10 after 1 minute of listening on three mid-tier headphones and one high-end and see just how well they all correlate high quality sound to the high-end. I find it to be just another headphone at this point, but it's one that does the things that I wanted. I can definitely see how people would want the T1 over the HE-500 if they're into treble. I already feel like I've lost that bright sibilance free high of the SRH940. But, I still have great treble, it's just a bit smoother, which is actually really pleasant for long listening. I have great mids. The kicker is that I have serious bass attached to it. Most headphones that I've tried that have great bass, usually have recessed mids or have a veil of some kind. The HE-500 doesn't. It's got great bass, great mids, great highs, but nothing is veiled, and at the same time, it's also not so sharp and shrilly that it cuts you in half. I think a lot of the sound quality, for me, was actually more about finding a frequency response // sound signature that did what I wanted for all genres. That was incredibly difficult to find in the mid-tier headphones. The HE-500 does that across the board for me, as it's capable in all regions of the spectrum.

When I put it up against a mid-tier headphone that is similar, there's always something missing. DT770 felt like it wasn't going as low, mids were not as present, highs were less smooth. K701, missing bass. SRH940, missing bass. PRO900, missing mids. DT990, missing mids, bass not as low and controlled, highs not as controlled and sibilance free. HD580 (HD600), veiled, not energetic, bass didn't seem to drop as low. Then there's of course sound stages and imaging. They all sound really good. It's just they didn't do all of the things I wanted at the same time. So I had to have a different headphone for a different purpose (and some just to test of course and for fun).

Very best,

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #699 of 20,374

Quote:
Heya,

That's the thing, I don't think they're miles ahead. I think they're ahead, but it's not a margin so great that if I put them on my friend's head and ask them to rate the sound quality from 1 to 10 after 1 minute of listening on three mid-tier headphones and one high-end and see just how well they all correlate high quality sound to the high-end. I find it to be just another headphone at this point, but it's one that does the things that I wanted. I can definitely see how people would want the T1 over the HE-500 if they're into treble. I already feel like I've lost that bright sibilance free high of the SRH940. But, I still have great treble, it's just a bit smoother, which is actually really pleasant for long listening. I have great mids. The kicker is that I have serious bass attached to it. Most headphones that I've tried that have great bass, usually have recessed mids or have a veil of some kind. The HE-500 doesn't. It's got great bass, great mids, great highs, but nothing is veiled, and at the same time, it's also not so sharp and shrilly that it cuts you in half. I think a lot of the sound quality, for me, was actually more about finding a frequency response // sound signature that did what I wanted for all genres. That was incredibly difficult to find in the mid-tier headphones. The HE-500 does that across the board for me, as it's capable in all regions of the spectrum.

When I put it up against a mid-tier headphone that is similar, there's always something missing. DT770 felt like it wasn't going as low, mids were not as present, highs were less smooth. K701, missing bass. SRH940, missing bass. PRO900, missing mids. DT990, missing mids, bass not as low and controlled, highs not as controlled and sibilance free. HD580 (HD600), veiled, not energetic, bass didn't seem to drop as low. Then there's of course sound stages and imaging. They all sound really good. It's just they didn't do all of the things I wanted at the same time. So I had to have a different headphone for a different purpose (and some just to test of course and for fun).

Very best,

Yup, half the search for a headphone is the sound sig.  Then of course there are technical superiorities of flagships - more detail, driver speed, soundstage, separation. etc.  Yes, the HE-500 indeed does everything quite well - extremely balanced.

But think of it this way, just the fact that it can be so well balanced all around already makes it miles ahead of a mid-tier.  Plus the step up in detail is quite a lot.

Enjoy.

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #700 of 20,374
Can I just clarify something with you guys who own the HE-500: most of the music I listen to is vocally-driven.  I read another thread that said the LCD-2-Rev2 is better for vocals than the HE-500.  I know unless you actually own both headphones you cannot comment on that, but since you do own the HE-500, is it really good for vocals?  I mean - vocals that make you believe the singer is there with you, and you can hear every transparent detail in their voice, and all the instruments?

That's what I'm after. I have to make a decision on either the HE-500 or LCD2 Rev2, and it's not easy as naturally there are a lot of conflicting views!

I'd be interested to hear your opinions on the HE-500 for vocals, live instruments, etc (as opposed to heavy rock, R&B, hip hop)

Cheers :)

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #701 of 20,374
vocals on lcd2r2 and he500 are both very good but presented slightly different.
vocals are relatively laid back on the lcd2r2 compared to the he500. both are
grain-free and present a very high resolution sound. so, it really depends on
if you want a gentle laid back presentation or a slightly more forward/intimate vocal
presentation. hope this helps.

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #702 of 20,374
vocals on lcd2r2 and he500 are both very good but presented slightly different.
vocals are relatively laid back on the lcd2r2 compared to the he500. both are
grain-free and present a very high resolution sound. so, it really depends on
if you want a gentle laid back presentation or a slightly more forward/intimate vocal
presentation. hope this helps.

So one does it right and not the other. Which is which?

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #703 of 20,374
^  

Listening to the same recording on different headphones is like going to the same concert at different music venues. 

A singers voice sounds warmer from a small cllub-stage than in an open air concert. There is no such thing as "true" presentation. What matters is what you enjoy the most 

L3000.gif

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #704 of 20,374

Quote:
So one does it right and not the other. Which is which?

imo, it depends on the listener. some on this forum may have you believe that one way
is "right" and the other "wrong". but imo, not everyone hears the same way and much
more importantly, not everyone desire/enjoys the same presentation.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #705 of 20,374

Quote:
Can I just clarify something with you guys who own the HE-500: most of the music I listen to is vocally-driven.  I read another thread that said the LCD-2-Rev2 is better for vocals than the HE-500.  I know unless you actually own both headphones you cannot comment on that, but since you do own the HE-500, is it really good for vocals?  I mean - vocals that make you believe the singer is there with you, and you can hear every transparent detail in their voice, and all the instruments?

That's what I'm after. I have to make a decision on either the HE-500 or LCD2 Rev2, and it's not easy as naturally there are a lot of conflicting views!

I'd be interested to hear your opinions on the HE-500 for vocals, live instruments, etc (as opposed to heavy rock, R&B, hip hop)

Cheers :)

IMO, the HE-500 do vocals a bit better. It's because I slightly prefer the mids of the HiFiMAN, despite the fact that the LCD-2 Rev.2 are the better overall performer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back