HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 13, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #647 of 20,386

Quote:
Also, many tube sellers claim that they burn-in the tubes. I can just imagine 100s of 6550s burning for 72 hours just to weed them. Imagine the electrical cost.

Upscale Audio does burn them in. I have known Kevin Deal for 17 years . He does what he say he does. Check ut the gear he has and I am surprised he sold them to you because he had stopped retubing audio research

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #648 of 20,386
Jim McShane burns his power tubes in and then matches them again. Well worth dealing with him. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #650 of 20,386

Quote:
They sell thousands of them a month. Imagine retubing a VTL MB750 monos with 12 KT88s per amp.

There is a lot to be made selling tubes. There is a nice markup so it worth it to them. Both Kevin Deal and Jim McShane are the best in the business IMO.  buy from both of them and Kevin is better at NOS where Jim is mostly better at new production for me at least. I buy from both of them and a couple of others but  not as much as those two. Lots of dealers sell you factory matched and they are not the same quality.

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #651 of 20,386
Back to 500s, I wonder how it would sound with a big all tube speaker amp. My 6 sounds like a small planar speaker with my ARC amp. I was listening earlier to Ted Nugent's Stranglehold, the drums and bass are as dominant as the lead guitar.

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #652 of 20,386

Quote:
There is a lot to be made selling tubes. There is a nice markup so it worth it to them. Both Kevin Deal and Jim McShane are the best in the business IMO.  buy from both of them and Kevin is better at NOS where Jim is mostly better at new production for me at least. I buy from both of them and a couple of others but  not as much as those two. Lots of dealers sell you factory matched and they are not the same quality.

Right, factory matched means nothing. They do a quick check and throw them together as matched. You are almost better to get random tubes. Jim McShane really burns the tubes in and rematches them. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #654 of 20,386

Quote:
That's a lot of work.

And that is why he has a great reputation. He also makes sure the batch of tubes he gets are up to standard and if a line of tubes generally do not sound good, he does not carry them. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #655 of 20,386

Quote:
And that is why he has a great reputation. He also makes sure the batch of tubes he gets are up to standard and if a line of tubes generally do not sound good, he does not carry them. 

I would imagine that this is what it takes him.

1. Tubes arrive, takes each one out of the box to burn them in for X hours.
2. Then each tube goes to the tube tester for sorting and matching.
3. Tubes that are close go into one basket and so on.
4. Then they go back to their box and stored.
5. Let's say it takes 3 minutes for each tube to test and pack.

One hundred tubes a day would take 5 hours.

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #656 of 20,386

Quote:

[size=11pt]I’m the guy that snagged MorbidToaster’s HE-500s.  Though I received them almost 2 weeks ago, it wasn’t until last Sunday I could really begin to listen to them.  A lesson learned:  newish computer that you’re still tweaking, new music (it’s classical so technically new recordings, I know the music), and new headphones is a really, really bad combination. [/size]

[size=11pt]Most of my experience is with Denon 7K . With the J$ pads and HDP I was quite content, but had decided I wanted to try something different, and open rather than closed.  Given my atypical, at least for members of this site, taste in music it’s difficult for me to gage, based on reviews, what will meet my needs.  The choice came down to the LCD-2 and HE-500.   You can tell who won. [/size]

[size=11pt]So far I’m impressed with the sound stage, clarity. The separation of of instruments and detail are phenomenal.   However, right now, I’m not sure the denons are leaving. (Well at home, the pair at work is a whole separate issue ).  They’re on a strict 2 week vacation though.  [/size]

[size=11pt]Current set up is ALAC/Foobar WASAPI/X-Fi Titanium/optical out/HDP[/size]

[size=11pt]The HDP does a fine job.  Enough to show it’s potential, but even limited as my experience is I know there’s more to be had.  In particular I’d like to see the bass strengthened and more articulate.    [/size]

[size=11pt]To my surprise, the Lyr I ordered on Wednesday arrived today.  Anxious as I am, it’s been connected to my laptop since this morning playing my libray through cheap headsphones I had in the back of a closet.  Tomorrow I’ll switch it over and put it with the HE-500’s.   Bottom line I’m impressed, and excited about finding out if once it’s settled in, the Lyr brings out the depth and refinement in the bass I feel I’m missing, and makes me feel I’m hearing them closer to their potential.[/size]

The HDP amp section sounded identical to my balanced RSA Protector amp, and I think the DAC section is just a little better than it's amp section.  I think feeding the HDP into the Lyr is going to really make you happy driving the HE-500.  They still like a lot of power.

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #658 of 20,386

Quote:
That how Jim does his tubes. Kevin Deal also the same thing. You had mentioned a 1000 tubes a day. I do not believe either one of those guys sell anywhere near that volume.

100 tubes is what he was looking with regards to time consumed. I prefer Jim's prices to Kevin's. I never like the cooky jar thing with certain tubes available only if you bought the amp from him. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #659 of 20,386

Quote:
100 tubes is what he was looking with regards to time consumed. I prefer Jim's prices to Kevin's. I never like the cooky jar thing with certain tubes available only if you bought the amp from him. 

Cooky Jar is gone. Jim does not always have some nOS I want like Mullard 12AT7. I buy my 6922 and some others from Jim . I am not ever sure they sell 100 tubes a day. Hell most people buy tubes every two or three years when you have a stash. that is what I find myself doing. I have so many EL84 I wont need any for years. I also have 6922, and everything else my amps use in stash. I may pick up some more Mullard 7189 and EL84 but thats only because they are hard to find and Kevin has the EL84

Users who are viewing this thread

Back