HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 12, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #634 of 20,386
The volume pot must be turned further clockwise with the HE-500 than the LCD-2. Ca. 1 hour. The HE-300 needs about the same volume setting as the LCD-2. But that is of course just half of the story. It's more than just sensitivity / dB. The remaining half is sound quality / dynamics. That answer is far less predictable to proclaim...

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #636 of 20,386

Quote:
do the he-6, he-500 and LCD-2s perform well with a Lyr? some ppl are saying they work great while some say even the Lyr is just barely enough. confusing 
confused.gif

Can't say about the HE-500 (never heard one), but both my HE-6 and LCD-2s sound just great with my Lyr! So the answer is a resounding YES IMO.

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #638 of 20,386
I use the HE-500 with the Lyr all the time. I like the Siemens from the mid 60's and earlier. For a good bang for the buck the 6BZ7 is a great tube. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #640 of 20,386

Quote:
I bought 3 BB 6DJ8s from one of the guys here for my ARC amp. They're little noisy but incredible in my amp.

what power tubes did you end up going with. There is a guy Sklyab turned me on to in VA. that has some nice and reasonable NOS tubeshop.com I bought some EL84 Sylvanias and some used Mullard 7189 and am very satisfied..

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #641 of 20,386

Quote:
what power tubes did you end up going with. There is a guy Sklyab turned me on to in VA. that has some nice and reasonable NOS tubeshop.com I bought some EL84 Sylvanias and some used Mullard 7189 and am very satisfied..

I just bought some new Tung Sol 6550 re-issues, waiting for them. NOS 6550s are too expensive and Ei KT90s are the same.

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #643 of 20,386

[size=11pt]I’m the guy that snagged MorbidToaster’s HE-500s.  Though I received them almost 2 weeks ago, it wasn’t until last Sunday I could really begin to listen to them.  A lesson learned:  newish computer that you’re still tweaking, new music (it’s classical so technically new recordings, I know the music), and new headphones is a really, really bad combination. [/size]

[size=11pt]Most of my experience is with Denon 7K . With the J$ pads and HDP I was quite content, but had decided I wanted to try something different, and open rather than closed.  Given my atypical, at least for members of this site, taste in music it’s difficult for me to gage, based on reviews, what will meet my needs.  The choice came down to the LCD-2 and HE-500.   You can tell who won. [/size]

[size=11pt]So far I’m impressed with the sound stage, clarity. The separation of of instruments and detail are phenomenal.   However, right now, I’m not sure the denons are leaving. (Well at home, the pair at work is a whole separate issue ).  They’re on a strict 2 week vacation though.  [/size]

[size=11pt]Current set up is ALAC/Foobar WASAPI/X-Fi Titanium/optical out/HDP[/size]

[size=11pt]The HDP does a fine job.  Enough to show it’s potential, but even limited as my experience is I know there’s more to be had.  In particular I’d like to see the bass strengthened and more articulate.    [/size]

[size=11pt]To my surprise, the Lyr I ordered on Wednesday arrived today.  Anxious as I am, it’s been connected to my laptop since this morning playing my libray through cheap headsphones I had in the back of a closet.  Tomorrow I’ll switch it over and put it with the HE-500’s.   Bottom line I’m impressed, and excited about finding out if once it’s settled in, the Lyr brings out the depth and refinement in the bass I feel I’m missing, and makes me feel I’m hearing them closer to their potential.[/size]

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #644 of 20,386

Quote:
I just bought some new Tung Sol 6550 re-issues, waiting for them. NOS 6550s are too expensive and Ei KT90s are the same.

I used them in my CJ Premier 11a and I much preferred the SED 660 and yes the EI KT90 was my favorite but I bought those for 40.00 each and gave my backup pair away. I thought you would go Geenelex KT88 or the Shuggies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back