HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 11, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #5,491 of 20,386
Jun 11, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #5,492 of 20,386
After a year of having the HE-500 and 5 months with LCD-2, I think I can now safely give the nod to the LCD-2 for vocals.

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #5,493 of 20,386
Quote:
After a year of having the HE-500 and 5 months with LCD-2, I think I can now safely give the nod to the LCD-2 for vocals.

Give your HE-500 +2db @ 2KHz with an equalizer and try it again 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #5,494 of 20,386
Yup used is definitely an option. I'm waiting for a good price in good condition.

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #5,497 of 20,386
Check my post of yesterday....u will find ur answer there... :wink:

What answer do you think there is? That their engineers are working on things? Of course they are. They might be working on lower end ones, closed ones, on ear ones. Your correspondence reveals nothing at all about updates or new flagships.

If you want the hifiman sound buy the one that meets your needs now, for all we know the newer ones might not sound as good as current ones. New doesn't = better, neither does more expensive.

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #5,498 of 20,386
Quote:
If you want the hifiman sound buy the one that meets your needs now, for all we know the newer ones might not sound as good as current ones. New doesn't = better, neither does more expensive.

Very true. I was luckily able to get D2000 in the last week before they were all sold out after the discontinuation. Based on what I've read about the new generation models, it seems I made a good decision.

Although I am quite sure that the HE-500 shouldn't be going away from their lineup anytime soon considering how well it is doing. For Fang to remove the HE-500 would mean he is either crazy or he came up with something that blows it away (which is plausible since HE-500 also has numerous flaws and the tech can still get better since it's recently new within Hifiman).

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #5,499 of 20,386
^ LOL one of you guys need to tell me how to EQ the HE-500 to get more depth
wink.gif

I'll try the EQ when I pair it with a computer next. I usually pair it with my CD player, so it's just a line out to Emotiva...don't get any EQ in there. So I just try to find gear that can work nicely without EQing on all my gear.

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #5,500 of 20,386
What answer do you think there is? That their engineers are working on things? Of course they are. They might be working on lower end ones, closed ones, on ear ones. Your correspondence reveals nothing at all about updates or new flagships.

Wow..who made u so nervous?? Lolz. I just put that post as info for us all..actually if u read my post u will see i specifically ask them for new models above the he500... Not lower end or any other model u mentioned...and they gave me the aswer i have included in my post...saying they are working on new models...this year they came out with the re600 in ear..so i suppose there wont come any of that kind out...the he400 came out last year..so i wont expent a lower end model coming out soon also..so what next...the he6 is already more then 4 years old...so u fill in the blank....and until now..the newer the headphone of hifiman..the better they got..they learn of their mishaps..but as i said..my post was just as info..i cant see into the future.. I wish i could :D

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #5,501 of 20,386
Quote:

Very true. I was luckily able to get D2000 in the last week before they were all sold out after the discontinuation. Based on what I've read about the new generation models, it seems I made a good decision.

Although I am quite sure that the HE-500 shouldn't be going away from their lineup anytime soon considering how well it is doing. For Fang to remove the HE-500 would mean he is either crazy or he came up with something that blows it away (which is plausible since HE-500 also has numerous flaws and the tech can still get better since it's recently new within Hifiman).

i doubt that though... in 700$ atleast... maybe something that is lcd-2's price would be an upgrade...

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #5,502 of 20,386
Quote:
i doubt that though... in 700$ atleast... maybe something that is lcd-2's price would be an upgrade...

They *could* make something at HE-500 price with better sound quality and still make a profit... But if they make something better quality they will probably leave the he-500 where it is and then charge more for the better model. They are trying to make money at the end of the day.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #5,503 of 20,386
Quote:

They *could* make something at HE-500 price with better sound quality and still make a profit... But if they make something better quality they will probably leave the he-500 where it is and then charge more for the better model. They are trying to make money at the end of the day.

Since they were able to successfully streamline and more-or-less automate the processing and assembly for the HE-400 and HE-300 (it's my understanding that all the other models are still assembled by hand), that will ultimately drive costs down, so we may find that the next gen of the HE series cans improve on the sound of the current gen at a much lower premium.  As long as they get that down, they could easily have their entire series range under $1k that delivers performance far above the $1k range and still turn the same if not a bigger profit - benefits for everyone!  A perfect example aside from the HE-400 is the RE-400.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #5,504 of 20,386
Yeh would be nice to see that because the flagship headphones are very overpriced. Between the mid / high range and the flagships it is like double or triple the price which is just a bit excessive and puts them out of the reach of most people. LCD3, HD800, Tesla T1 etc. Headphones like HD600, DT880 etc. are more realistic, but the double or triple the price for flagships is excessive.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #5,505 of 20,386
I don't think they will make anything in the price segment of the HE-500, unless they can automate the process. So my guess is 1000+ or below 500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back