HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 27, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #4,606 of 20,374
For me the difference is so stark that it is like having a completely new pair of headphones. I was considering selling them but now i'm not. I'm intrigued as to how the material can make such a difference.

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #4,607 of 20,374
For me the difference was like going from a loose seal to a tighter one that encapsulated the sound better. I had fit issues with mine, so that probably played a role in how much it improved, as the velours gave a snug fit.

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #4,608 of 20,374
Then you should have had some j$ pads

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #4,609 of 20,374
The HE-500 was originally tuned with velours, and the sonic signature remains the same. The original velours were more squishy and of course the original canare cable was a garden hose. The pleather option came about later because people were bugging Fang about it. They wanted the earpads to match the leather headband so Fang spent a bunch of time making them and revising them again and again.

Anyway I guess my point is that the current velour version actually is a much closer to how the original HE-500 sounded. The pleather version is just terrible IMO, it makes the HE-500 try to sound like the LCD-2, but a much worse version of it, congested with bloated bass. I also think it has worse timbre.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #4,611 of 20,374
Quote:
The HE-500 was originally tuned with velours, and the sonic signature remains the same. The original velours were more squishy and of course the original canare cable was a garden hose. The pleather option came about later because people were bugging Fang about it. They wanted the earpads to match the leather headband so Fang spent a bunch of time making them and revising them again and again.

Anyway I guess my point is that the current velour version actually is a much closer to how the original HE-500 sounded. The pleather version is just terrible IMO, it makes the HE-500 try to sound like the LCD-2, but a much worse version of it, congested with bloated bass. I also think it has worse timbre.
evil_smiley.gif

I also think that the HE-500 with pleather is similar to LCD-2. Although I don't hate it at all. In fact I enjoy it a lot. Out of HE-500 with pleaters, HE-500 with velour and LCD-2 (don't know about how LCD-2 changes with their vegan pads or whatever it is), the most relaxing in terms of sonic and physical comfort is HE-500 with pleathers.

HE-500 with pleathers is in between those two. Not too much detail that it can distract you. Also not too dark that your brain is always trying to fill in the information. It actually fits the bill quite nicely. The soundstage going from velour to pleather gets smaller, but it is still bigger than LCD-2 (in terms of width of course). Also while it doesn't have air like velours, it still has good separation and images decently. Bass is fine as well. In fact I find the background to be the blackest with pleaters...even over the LCD-2. Although it depends on what kind of mood you are in, what genre you are listening to, and what you are currently doing (studying, browsing internet and listening or listening only music for music sakes)...just my $0.05 (no more pennies) 
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #4,612 of 20,374
I made many testing with velours, pleathers and DT990 pro velour pads.

By comfort it goes like: DT990 pro > stock pleather > stock velour.

By sounding: stock velour > DT990 pro pads > stock pleather.

Stock velour wins, hands down. The sonical changes are just to big to abandon them IMO.

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #4,613 of 20,374
I prefer the Beyer pads, in terms of comfort and sq I think they are the best option.
I have tried Dt990 pads very soft and Dt770 pads middle soft both give no problems with sq
Recently I tried the Beyer Custom One Pro pleather pads and have had excellent results very high comfort level and no sq issues
It takes nimble fingers and some persistence but all the Beyer pads will fit an unmodified mounting ring.

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #4,615 of 20,374
Quote:
I prefer the Beyer pads, in terms of comfort and sq I think they are the best option.
I have tried Dt990 pads very soft and Dt770 pads middle soft both give no problems with sq
Recently I tried the Beyer Custom One Pro pleather pads and have had excellent results very high comfort level and no sq issues
It takes nimble fingers and some persistence but all the Beyer pads will fit an unmodified mounting ring.

The Custom One Pro pleathers with the HE-500 is a very attractive proposition to me!  They look deeper than the HE's stock pleathers which is my only gripe about them.  So, for just $26, I'm going to take the plunge on that.

Any tips for easing the process of mounting them on the ring?

Apr 28, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #4,616 of 20,374
Quote:
The Custom One Pro pleathers with the HE-500 is a very attractive proposition to me!  They look deeper than the HE's stock pleathers which is my only gripe about them.  So, for just $26, I'm going to take the plunge on that.

Any tips for easing the process of mounting them on the ring?

Get everything nice and warm and don't give up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back