HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 21, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #4,561 of 20,374
Quote:

set a dollar limit on what you'll spend and stick to it.

I don't think a dollar would buy that much, would it?

biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #4,562 of 20,374
Quote:

I don't think a dollar would buy that much, would it?

biggrin.gif

haha although for what it's worth, I once got a HDMI cable for $0.69 from Amazon. Still works to this day 
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #4,563 of 20,374
Sounds like someone made some poor choices in Summit-fi territory and now has regrets 
evil_smiley.gif

(just teasing).

I think what roadcykler is trying to say is that what sounds 'better' has more to do with taste (and maybe other things like expectation bias) rather than actual technical ability and quality. 
For various reasons I prefer the HE-500 to the HD800 for example. One is technically superior to the other, but they're quite different.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek.

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #4,564 of 20,374
Apr 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #4,565 of 20,374
I must have missed the invisible-ninja-jester emoticon beside the comment. 
biggrin.gif

I guess I just thought it was unnecessary. I have an MSii+ and a Magni - pretty far from summit-fi. It was akin to saying, "Whoa man, you're making way too much sense for head-fi." :D

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #4,566 of 20,374
Whelp, the Audio-GD NFB10SE sounded amazing but was way too big for my desk so I've sold it.

I have ordered a Meier Corda Daccord and Classic stack to replace it as the units have similar DACs and the Meier is the perfect size for my new desk set up.

I'll post some impressions when they're delivered in the next few days :D

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #4,567 of 20,374
Quote:
I guess I just thought it was unnecessary. I have an MSii+ and a Magni - pretty far from summit-fi. It was akin to saying, "Whoa man, you're making way too much sense for head-fi."
biggrin.gif

Summit-fi isn't about performance persay, it's about an utmost devotion and pursuit in this hobby, financially and mentally.

You could very well sink many thousands of dollars and hours into assembling entire exotic headphone systems, become among summit-fiers, but the system might still have lower SQ than a combo that is wildly cheaper and simpler to buy and put together.

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #4,568 of 20,374
Summit-fi isn't about performance persay, it's about an utmost devotion and pursuit in this hobby, financially and mentally.

You could very well sink many thousands of dollars and hours into assembling entire exotic headphone systems, become among summit-fiers, but the system might still have lower SQ than a combo that is wildly cheaper and simpler to buy and put together.

Sorry, but i still dont believe that a WELLREGARDED and expensive brand can be worse then a quality budget amp..if that expensive amp of lets say 3000usd is worse sounding then lets say a o2 or emotiva (two budget amps wellknown here) then in my believe that expensive amp is a RIPOFF...they are robing u of ur money.and buying that shows ur a snob (brand addiction and apearances are extreme important for u) or just blind...easy as that..BUT..really well made amps with top grade (and expensive) parts inside will always destroy any budget amp..ANY! Only a personal taste,budget and ur mind can be the choosing factor then...like a stax sr009 rig..u cant possibly believe that such a rig wont completely annihilate any socalled high end budget amp.. And this was ofcourse all imho.. :D

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #4,569 of 20,374
Quote:
Sorry, but i still dont believe that a WELLREGARDED and expensive brand can be worse then a quality budget amp..if that expensive amp of lets say 3000usd is worse sounding then lets say a o2 or emotiva (two budget amps wellknown here) then in my believe that expensive amp is a RIPOFF...they are robing u of ur money.and buying that shows ur a snob (brand addiction and apearances are extreme important for u) or just blind...easy as that..BUT..really well made amps with top grade (and expensive) parts inside will always destroy any budget amp..ANY! Only a personal taste,budget and ur mind can be the choosing factor then...like a stax sr009 rig..u cant possibly believe that such a rig wont completely annihilate any socalled high end budget amp.. And this was ofcourse all imho..
biggrin.gif

SR009 is only one of countless summit-fi-discussed headphones. You don't see 100% of summit-fi users going for SR009+(insert upstream setup here).

The key in what I stated was that you could get or exceed the performance of many summit-fi headphone setups, with simple headphone setups under $1k and purchased in 5 minutes online and shipped straight to you the next day.

Certainly the objectively best summit-fi-worthy headphones with their most synergized top notch upstream gears could not be toppled, but that's a small fraction of summit-fi

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #4,570 of 20,374
Has anyone commented on MLE being into pad-fi yet? (tip: k70x=annie - pads, right?)

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #4,571 of 20,374
Quote:
Whelp, the Audio-GD NFB10SE sounded amazing but was way too big for my desk so I've sold it.

I have ordered a Meier Corda Daccord and Classic stack to replace it as the units have similar DACs and the Meier is the perfect size for my new desk set up.

I'll post some impressions when they're delivered in the next few days :D

Im running them off a Corda Classic too, its an amazing amp. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #4,572 of 20,374
Switching between velour and pleather pads, I think I prefer pleathers. *puts on flame suit*
I'm not the only one am I?

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #4,574 of 20,374
Quote:
Switching between velour and pleather pads, I think I prefer pleathers. *puts on flame suit*
I'm not the only one am I?

Is that in terms of comfort? if so, I am with you but the difference in sound keeps me from using it

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #4,575 of 20,374
Quote:
Is that in terms of comfort? if so, I am with you but the difference in sound keeps me from using it

Actually in sound... I think there is a tad more slam and a little less 'air' in the sound. 
I think this makes a more personal/intimate but fun sound at the expense of soundstage.

I'm a little torn, as I think I like both for different reasons and different genres. Still not fully decided though as I think I'm losing micro details, which is actually quite a big loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back