HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #3,586 of 20,386
Quote:
Then hopefully the bad stuff about both will help you decide better:

HE500 cons: a little slow-sounding, bass is a little wooly, and overall like other Hifimans the fit and finish is not as good as Audezes

LCD2 cons: treble a little less smooth/grainfree, sound is much less open (many comment on it sounding almost like closed headphones, to which I share the sentiment), lacks dynamics

All relative to each-other, of course.

Sounds about right to me..

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #3,587 of 20,386
Yep.  I had the same dilemma a few months back.  In the end decided to start with the HE-500 for the simple reason that it was cheaper.  Haven't looked back since.  Actually haven't had even the slightest bit of upgraditis since then, been completely happy with the Hifimans.  But one day I'll probably get the urge to hear the LCD-2 as well.  :)

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #3,591 of 20,386
Yep.  I had the same dilemma a few months back.  In the end decided to start with the HE-500 for the simple reason that it was cheaper.  Haven't looked back since.  Actually haven't had even the slightest bit of upgraditis since then, been completely happy with the Hifimans.  But one day I'll probably get the urge to hear the LCD-2 as well.  :)

Because I like the HD650 so much, my tendency was to favor the LCD 2, but I got a good deal on HE-500s and I'm completely wowed. I have no interest in the LCD 2 anymore.

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #3,592 of 20,386
Ok so i just pulled the trigger on the he-500. TTVJ is having a sale and ive wanted them for a long time...

Here is my dilemma; this is my very first set of high end cans so im starting from scratch. i will be using my ps3 as source while my pc is being fixed so i need a dac with optical and usb input. i have $450 to spend on dac and amp and im not sure what to do.

Here are my options...

*Spend it all on an amp and get dac later.(have to wait at least 2 months).

*Get a dac/amp combo for now and upgrade amp later. (i was told ADG NFB 5.32 or NFB 11.32 have very good dac's for their price but amp is lacking) which one of these are better?

*Buy Audioengine d1($169 and i heard isnt even worth that) and buy amp with remaining $280.

I am leaning toward dac/amp combo for now but id like one with a good dac for future use with better amp. Which is the better option; nfb-5.32 ($430) or nfb-11.32 ($350)? OR is there a better option? Im really new to all this and need some advice... Cheers!

Assuming you're in the US, get a Magni for $99 and spend the rest on a DAC.

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #3,593 of 20,386
Quote:

+1

Haven't had an urge to upgrade ever since I got the HE-500s. They sound so good that i'm completely happy with just keeping them. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #3,594 of 20,386
Sold my LCD-2.2   Kept my HE-500s  
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #3,597 of 20,386
Quote:
Now I can't decide between the he500 and the audeze lcd-2 for a more fun headphone next to my hd800 :frowning2:

Read lots of good stuff about both...

Both are equally enjoyable but the HE500 is more fun, the notes sound sharper around the edges, and vocals are more emotive than the dryer sounding but still good vocals on the LCD2s.  I always felt LCD2 excelled w/male vocals.  The LCD2 reigns supreme when it comes to texture/timbre and is a bit warmer/natural sounding to me.  They both have a clean, crisp sound, with the HE500 having a touch more clarity b/c of the treble emphasis and lesser bass.  Having heard both it's hard to choose one over the other.  But if there's anything that would make me choose the LCD2 over the HE500 it would be the timbre/texture, which is more important to me than other aspects. LCD2's timbre sounds more fleshed out and better articulated.  I feel like I'm extracting more out of the music.  And if there's anything that would have me choose the HE500 over the LCD2 it would be the overall sound/notes being more sharply focused/defined and the ability to portray emotion in the singer's voice for a "wetter" presentation.

People say the LCD2s bass is way better and it probably is.  I don't feel like I'm missing much with the HE500 in that area because it can still bring that low rumble when it's called for.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #3,598 of 20,386
x2 on all points.  Now that I have the HE500 & HD700 with the Schiit Stack.. my upgraditis has been severely tamed.. Love both of them! (but then again, there's that Woo WA7)..
Quote:

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #3,600 of 20,386
A bit of a cross post as I put this up on the HD700 thread.. I have a playlist of about 17 songs that I'm using to compare but for now, have been spending 90% of my time with the HE500.  Here's my initial impressions between the two though it might change in another couple of weeks.
Just one major caveat as I'm thinking about the two: The Amperex Orange Globes I'm using do tame the highs on the HD700 and make them silky and a joy to listen to. I really need to try the Mullards or Matsu's with the HE500 (which are too bright with the HD700). Might bring more life to the HiFiMAN's.

Just picked up a pair of HiFiMAN HE500's two weeks ago.  The HD700 really holds its own against them.  If I had to pick between the two, I think it would be the HD700.  They really compliment each other. Greater detail, tighter, but less bass, a little more exciting, awesome for vocals and jazzy music and of course, much more comfortable.  The HE500 are silky smooth across the range, especially the mids and are incredible for club type music.  I think the HE500 still need a little more break in, they have about 150 hours, but for now, the Senns have the edge for me. YMMV.
On the other hand, If I was asked for a recommendation, it would be the HE500. They would sound better across more sources/amps.
For the first time, I have two pairs of headphones that I really, really love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back