HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 8, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #3,556 of 20,386
Quote:
Interesting.. I've noticed that the bass has tightened up, seemed a little HD650'ish at first (slow), mids have alway been brilliant and the highs are smoothing out. Maybe because I was mostly using an ill fitting set of velour pads.  Have the pleathers back on now and am really liking it. YMMV.. just my experience.

My experience has been similar. I've got about 50-60 hours now and I've noticed the bass seems quicker and has a bit more impact than when I first took it out of the box. Mids and highs are silky smooth. I prefer the velour pads though, they just sound more natural to me. I found the pleathers sounded slightly hollow and artificial.

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #3,557 of 20,386
mine changed after about 20 hours, out of the box the HE-500 is like a hybrid between DT880 (abit forward on the treble yet very smooth and never sounded thin) and HD650 (abit forward on the mids, and thick bass yet tighter and faster), after 20 hours the treble start to take forms, take a few step back but sounded realistic and still retaining that smoothness, the mids become lusher yet still forward though. After changing my setups the HE-500 is become a newly beast, most noticeable is it's techicality, seperation, depth, height and imaging improves.

This is my first encounter with an orthodynamic headphone and the experience is very intriguing, so is everybody i guess
smily_headphones1.gif

Just my 2cent

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #3,558 of 20,386
I don't really know if mine changed - it was an open-box refurb. It could have gotten burned in, although I doubt it. Most likely, it was so poorly amped at first that small details in the change escaped me.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #3,560 of 20,386
Worried I might have damaged my precious HE 500. For about 30 sec I accidentally played white noise at a very high volume. Where I had to take them off and disconnect from the Amplifier. Is there anyway of finding out if some damage has occurred to the headphones. Any advice is welcomed thanks. By the way these are the best headphones I have ever heard. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #3,561 of 20,386
The only burn-in they needed is actually switching the muffled pleather to the velour.

Too bad I started the experiment with the Alpha pads after I sold the 500s... Considering the positive effect they have on both my 4s and 5LEs, I might have done a mistake selling them...
The 500s with Alpha pads and hard wired Norse cables might be an extremely yummy experience! In the future, maybe?

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #3,562 of 20,386
Worried I might have damaged my precious HE 500. For about 30 sec I accidentally played white noise at a very high volume. Where I had to take them off and disconnect from the Amplifier. Is there anyway of finding out if some damage has occurred to the headphones. Any advice is welcomed thanks. By the way these are the best headphones I have ever heard. 

I doubt you have damaged them. They can handle several watts. The lcd2 can handle 15 watt rms.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #3,564 of 20,386
The difference between when I first opened the box and when I plugged them in and put electronic signals though them was literally night and day. Initially they were just a lump of metal, plastic, and wires, then when I hit "play" on the FOOBAR, they sounded like the best headphones I've ever owned. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #3,566 of 20,386
Has anyone here tried the HE500 with Graham Slee Solo Srg II? 

Because my current desktop amp is GS Solo Srg II and i don't intend to invest in another amp
How srg ii +HD650 combo compare with srg ii + HE500?

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks.

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #3,567 of 20,386
when i first listened to the he500, the highs were piercing and hard to hear. But it changed after a 10 hours burn-in and they became really good and smooth but the imaging wasn't good even though the sound stage was huge. And now after a lot more burn in of around more than 200 hours, they have really opened up. I think hifiman recommends 200 hours of burn-in if it is a brand new pair...

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #3,570 of 20,386
Congrats! Be sure to post your impressions.
Either you're showing your age or have seen too many re-runs of Mork & Mindy 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Just picked up a pair from TTVJ.  Looking forward to receiving them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back