HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #3,196 of 20,386
Quote:

Of course.  Still have fingers to feel with ya :p

Good one..and ur so right
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #3,197 of 20,386
What does a hybrid do anyway?
Is it the best of both worlds?
Does it bring merits of silver and copper in one package?

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #3,198 of 20,386
Quote:
What does a hybrid do anyway?
Is it the best of both worlds?
Does it bring merits of silver and copper in one package?

could also combine their flaws together and make it worse overall. 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #3,200 of 20,386
I have found silver cables to be a love or hate choice. At times, they give the cleanest treble with lots of air. Although with harsh poorly mastered recordings, they can make you fatigued after a while. Regarding differences in cables, I really don't notice a difference in sound quality between the stock silver cable and a Headphone Lounge silver cable (7N) besides in durability, smoothness, flexibility and weight.

Just get something that's built well and is easy to manage. If something sounds horrendous, then by all means go ahead and change it. Otherwise no need to go and spend $300+ on cables. Like you can get a D2000 or a DT 990/880 or a AKG for that price. I would rather try to change headphones than cables to get the sound I want. The cables are only there to transmit the signal at the end of the day. Keep transparent DAC and an amp with clean cables and then modify the setup with headphones or perhaps an analog EQ.

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #3,201 of 20,386
Quote:
I have found silver cables to be a love or hate choice. At times, they give the cleanest treble with lots of air. Although with harsh poorly mastered recordings, they can make you fatigued after a while. Regarding differences in cables, I really don't notice a difference in sound quality between the stock silver cable and a Headphone Lounge silver cable (7N) besides in durability, smoothness, flexibility and weight.

Just get something that's built well and is easy to manage. If something sounds horrendous, then by all means go ahead and change it. Otherwise no need to go and spend $300+ on cables. Like you can get a D2000 or a DT 990/880 or a AKG for that price. I would rather try to change headphones than cables to get the sound I want. The cables are only there to transmit the signal at the end of the day. Keep transparent DAC and an amp with clean cables and then modify the setup with headphones or perhaps an analog EQ.

If ur ever at a point to use a eq to get to the sound for ur headphone u want then u just have the wrong rig for ur ears..ur rig must sound right to ur ears in its purest form..so no manual frequency distortion/alterations by any component...if not..then its time to change components in it..IMHO ofcourse...with loudspeakers i can imagine sometimes using eq to balance the sound IN ur room..as that a thing u cant buy to make ur rig sound better..
wink.gif

just a tip..try a norse audio silver cable or dhc silver cable or toxic cables silver widows..and compare them to the cables u just mentioned...u will be surprised how different those will sound.
by the way...a few days ago i read that.the hifiman 'silver cable' is actually a copper cable with silver around it (so actually its a hybrid) .so its weird u dont hear a difference..or the HL cable is not full silver also? I dont know..i dont know them..so am not going to say things i dont know bout..my apologies.

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #3,202 of 20,386
Quote:
If ur ever at a point to use a eq to get to the sound for ur headphone u want then u just have the wrong rig for ur ears..ur rig must sound right to ur ears in its purest form..so no manual frequency distortion/alterations by any component...if not..then its time to change components in it..IMHO ofcourse...with loudspeakers i can imagine sometimes using eq to balance the sound IN ur room..as that a thing u cant buy to make ur rig sound better..
wink.gif

LMAOO exactly my point. Then why do people buy different cables to alter the sound - as that would still be distortion - since input doesn't equal output. Digital EQ's can be funky, although if you use high quality parametric analog EQ, then it's quite fine and also cheaper than cables, if you want to tweak the sound. That's why I prefer changing headphones instead. 

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #3,203 of 20,386
Quote:

LMAOO exactly my point. Then why do people buy different cables to alter the sound - as that would still be distortion - since input doesn't equal output. Digital EQ's can be funky, although if you use high quality parametric analog EQ, then it's quite fine and also cheaper than cables, if you want to tweak the sound. That's why I prefer changing headphones instead. 

The problem is that the stock silver copper cable that comes with the he500 is poor. Its bright and scratchy and poorly made so IMO the HE500 sounds best with an upgraded copper cable but YOMV

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #3,205 of 20,386
Quote:

I dont believe most people buy cables to alter the sound..they buy them to get their rig to the closest to natural sound...in their ears...but i agree in this..i also dont understand why people buy bright cans and then buy cables to make them sound darker..or other way around..cables has to be bought to compliment the already good qualities of ur headphone together with the rest of ur rig...not alter it..like what u do with eq..but for home rigs u have to counter for the room ur speakers are in..so sometimes u have to change simething to counter undesirable  effects because of that..
but as i said..i respect any other opinion on this..we all are different..and see things or hear thing different..and thats good..
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #3,206 of 20,386
Quote:
The problem is that the stock silver copper cable that comes with the he500 is poor. Its bright and scratchy and poorly made so IMO the HE500 sounds best with an upgraded copper cable but YOMV

I agree..their cable is not the best around..and most people buy a new cable anyway..ever tried the black widow? I have one..sounds excellent with the he500. To my ears ofcourse and on my rig..

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #3,207 of 20,386
Quote:
Poeple dont buy cables to alter the sound..they buy them to get their rig to the closest to natural sound...in their ears...but i agree in this..i also dont understand why people buy bright cans and then buy cables to make them sound darker..or other way around..cables has to be bought to compliment the already good qualities of ur headphone together with the rest of ur rig...not alter it..like what u do with eq..but for home rigs u have to counter for the room ur speakers are in..so sometimes u have to change simething to counter undesirable  effects because of that..
but as i said..i respect any other opinion on this..we all are different..and see things or hear thing different..and thats good..
wink.gif

Natural sound???? The fact that someone is changing the sound through cables to make it sound more "natural" or even "artificial" by definition will mean there has been some "alteration."

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #3,208 of 20,386
Quote:
I agree..their cable is not the best around..and most people buy a new cable anyway..ever tried the black widow? I have one..sounds excellent with the he500. To my ears ofcourse and on my rig..

I have not tried the black widow with the he500. I have the Freedom Cablepro cable in for a review and its an outstanding well built cable. I have decided to keep the LCD 2,2  and will also be reviewing the cablepro cables for them as well including the Reviere ultra expensive cable. If I was keeping the he500 and man it was a tough call but I cant afford to keep everything as much as I want to but I wont sell my hd800 or at3000anv  so I can keep only one planar.

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #3,209 of 20,386
Quote:

Yea I highly recommend everyone to get rid of that stock cable. It was a pain the ass to deal with physically. Sound wise, I don't really remember if there was any difference when I switched over though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back