HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 16, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #3,181 of 20,386
Quote:
When ordering directly from Holographic Audio the Ear One seems to cost ~500€ (5000SKr viewed from Sweden) including crossfeed ...

http://www.holographicaudio.com/headphone-amp.html

Wow, I do not get a skr price, what I see on the page you posted is the following (viewed from UK):

Specifications for Ear One
Product type Headphone Amplifier
Input impedance 10 kOhm
Output impedance 0.1ohm/100Ohm
Headphone output 1/4" (6.35 mm)
Inputs 1 pair RCA and 1 pair XLR
Maximum amplification 12dB
Distorsion <0.01% @33 Ohm @2.83Vrms @1kHz
Bandwidth dc-200kHz
Output power ca 3W/32 Ohm (10Vrms)
Weight 2 kg
Dimensions (mm) 140x80x210

Guide price

795 EUR

Seems we need you as a middle man.
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #3,182 of 20,386
Quote:
What about the Woo Audio double stands for all the stage and toasty bass goodness?

Son, now you're going into uncharted territories here! Tread carefully. You have been warned!

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #3,184 of 20,386
Quote:
so if im getting a new cable for my he-500, I shouldn't go anything less than pure silver?

Nah bro, go for pure copper; HE500 is bright enough as is.

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #3,186 of 20,386
Quote:
is the stock he400 cable pure copper?

It is, dunno if it's OCC or even OFC though. Here's Canare's description:

"All Canare microphone cables utilize high-
conductivity, annealed copper wires, stranded
to form flexible conductors and shields."

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #3,187 of 20,386
Recently, I tried an interesting amp at my local Jaben

It's the Bakoon Products HDA-5210 Mk3 Amp. It's quite obscure since this model is Japan only and there are no spec sheets available for this specific model but I do know the price. It's $2000.
Paired up with my HE-500 and the synergy is amazing. More power than you could ever shake a stick at. This amp makes the HE-6 look very easy to drive which it absolutely can with ease. When the switch is on the low current setting, it sounds extremely good with the HE-500 but flick the switch to high current then suddenly, it turns the HE-500 into an absolute heaven sounding machine.
I used the pleather pads which I find it makes the sound a tad slower but with this amp, everything is just elevated. I just can't imagine with velour pads, it might just hurt my ears.
This amp is very detailed but not harsh. It has a smooth treble, an excellent midrange and low end impact that is just more. I thought that the HE-500 is already detailed but with this, it's even more detailed, more dynamic. I'm in love with this amp but with that price tag...
I just can't afford it.
Oh well, the Lyr then... 

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #3,189 of 20,386
Quote:
Nah bro, go for pure copper; HE500 is bright enough as is.

+1 i agree totally..het urself some good quality litz 2 coppercable..like the toxic cables black widow 22awg..a match in heaven..imho ofcourse.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #3,191 of 20,386
Quote:
Copper or silver?

Copper
- gives more substance to voices/instruments
- makes them sound smoother
- also improves the bass

Silver
- opposite of copper?
- reveals more detail?
- improves instrument separation?

What do you think?

It totally depends on the headphone u have...a cable has to complement the character of the headphones..u dont have one best cable for every headphone..sometimes a cheaper good quality copper cable is better then a much much much more expensive silver cable for ur headphone.. 

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #3,192 of 20,386
@hifimanrookie Do you think, you could differentiate different cable in a (dare I say it
size]
) blind test?

Don't want to start a debate, just want a simple answer 
size]

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #3,195 of 20,386
Quote:
@hifimanrookie Do you think, you could differentiate different cable in a (dare I say it
size]
) blind test?

Don't want to start a debate, just want a simple answer 
size]

Simple answer..yes..between silver and copper sound is different and easy to spot..especially on high quality sources/amps/lossless very high quality music/or headphones..maybe u wont hear much difference on lesser quality sources/amps/ lower quality music..i dont know the latter.. between copper cables difference is on detail level. I have dhc and toxic cable..both sound different..especially in soundstage and natural sounding..both are copper..but as i once said..if u have different rig or headphones or even different hearing..some (like u) could defend not hearing any difference between the two kind of wires..copper against silver (am not talking bout hybrids by the way!)

and as we all know here..this is a debate that has been around for eons on any audiophile thread..so..lets say both are right here or else this could be a very looooong back and forth thingie
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back