HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #2,911 of 20,386
Quote:
Ok the decision has been made - the HE-500 it will be :)

Now I have to find a fine matching AMP for it.

What would be the rule of thumb for Orthos - lamps or transistors?

Thanks for great help so far guys, really made a difference.

Also what place in USA would you recommend to order from HE-500 - preferably authorised dealer. Some trustworthy place (I am in EU dont know your brands and dealers so hence my question).

Everyone and their mothers will recommend you buying from Justin (HeadAmp).

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #2,912 of 20,386
Quote:

An amp that goes to 11. I can tell you the V200 is very good with them, and the V200 driven by a tube amp is excellent. Liquid smooth, but controlled, details and plenty of power.

KP

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #2,913 of 20,386
Quote:
Short ball guys - HE-500 or T1? If anyone here can be objective of course :D

I listen to everything with emphasis on electronic and inde rock ofc most of it in Flac.

I come from AH-D1000 and I also own for last few days D7100 but I dont like them and I am going to return them as way too bassy and wit ha bit of pinchy highs and mutated high pitched women voices.

Thanks for all and any input :)

What just happened to this thread???  Anyway, skimmed the 4 pages since you asked this question so it's doubtful I'll say anything that hasn't been said. I have both T1 and HE-500 and they're both wonderful.... would prefer to keep them both thank you.  T1 is a bit brighter, HE-500 more forgiving and more magical; gets my vote as favorite.  I play them both out of a Lyr and I'm quite content!!

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #2,914 of 20,386
Quote:

What just happened to this thread???  Anyway, skimmed the 4 pages since you asked this question so it's doubtful I'll say anything that hasn't been said. I have both T1 and HE-500 and they're both wonderful.... would prefer to keep them both thank you.  T1 is a bit brighter, HE-500 more forgiving and more magical; gets my vote as favorite.  I play them both out of a Lyr and I'm quite content!!

The guy asked a question "Headphone X vs Headphone Y" in a "Headphone X appreciation thread", what'd you expect would happen? 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #2,915 of 20,386
Feb 3, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #2,916 of 20,386
Quote:

Also what place in USA would you recommend to order from HE-500 - preferably authorised dealer. Some trustworthy place (I am in EU dont know your brands and dealers so hence my question).

You should also consider the amp/preamp I pair with the HE-500 if you already or will have a high quality source for your music:  the Audio-gd NFB-6.  You need to run it in balanced mode for best results but I think it represents terrific value with way more connectivity options than I'll ever use and digital remote volume control (no potentiometer!).  It has high and low gain settings with 80 steps each (I stay on low gain and am usually in the 28-34 range). And the SQ is  wonderfully neutral and detailed with a particularly deep soundstage.  It deliveres 5.92 watts into the 500's 38 ohms with an output impedence of just 1 ohm.   And all this at not much over $500US delivered!

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #2,917 of 20,386

There are HiFiMan resellers within EU as well. In Denmark we have http://www.dengodelyd.dk/shop/frontpage.html

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #2,918 of 20,386
Quote:
There are HiFiMan resellers within EU as well. In Denmark we have http://www.dengodelyd.dk/shop/frontpage.html

In germany u have madooma and in holland hificonsult and in uk toxic cables. Make ur pick
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #2,919 of 20,386
Quote:
Everyone and their mothers will recommend you buying from Justin (HeadAmp).

Damn that guy musy be the perfect son in law then 
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #2,920 of 20,386
Outside of the T1 costing more and having better materials than other Beyer headphones... it's not their best headphone.  The best Beyer in production is the 880/600 and the good news is it costs a lot less :wink:

The HE-500 is in a whole other league than either though.

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #2,921 of 20,386
Quote:
Outside of the T1 costing more and having better materials than other Beyer headphones... it's not their best headphone.  The best Beyer in production is the 880/600 and the good news is it costs a lot less :wink:

The HE-500 is in a whole other league than either though.

I had the 880 on two different occasionI I owned them and had them side by side with the T1and the T1 always was more transparent and had better treble and bass and much more refinement than the 880. IMO its Beyer best offering. The HE500 is an excellent phone and  different than the T1 but its subjective what would be better. To many people they prefer the T1 transparency and pinpoint focus while others prefer the HE500. Both are top tier headphones IMO . The 880 may cost less but its not as refined as the T1. I owned the T1 for 2yrs before I sold it and it was a great headphone but I preferred my HD800 slightly. YOMV

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #2,922 of 20,386
Quote:
The bass on the hE6 when properly amped with power and I mean at least 15 watts is explosive.. I used an 80w wat tpower amp and it never distored until I used my Taboo on comples passages the amp simply gave out causing distortion,. I will say this again and IU have purchased the he500 again the he6 when properly amoed and I mean powerful amps is the best headphone I hav eowned or heard. Sadly I sold it off because my SX980 was having some issues or I would still own both. The bass on the HE6 when amped properly is to die for

Well the Emotiva Mini-X is 50wpc into 8 ohms... I am not saying there cant be further improvement, but your statement is ridiculous...
Its about two things wattage AND current... you need both and one doesnt automatically assure the other.
The bass is rolled off in the graphs and this simply prevents the HP from reaching that deep. What you are implying would mean "forcing" the HP to reach lower against its own will, which may or may not be good for the drivers and the HP... 

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #2,923 of 20,386
so the HE-500 is different/unique enough to the T1 to be worth buying? 

ive really been considering these headphones for quite some time now, im probably gonna sell my D7000s for them, while i enjoy my D7000s crazy bass, the rest of the headphone isn't as good as T1/LCD-2/Hd 800, so it doesn't get much use.

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #2,925 of 20,386
Quote:
I had the 880 on two different occasionI I owned them and had them side by side with the T1and the T1 always was more transparent and had better treble and bass and much more refinement than the 880. IMO its Beyer best offering. The HE500 is an excellent phone and  different than the T1 but its subjective what would be better. To many people they prefer the T1 transparency and pinpoint focus while others prefer the HE500. Both are top tier headphones IMO . The 880 may cost less but its not as refined as the T1. I owned the T1 for 2yrs before I sold it and it was a great headphone but I preferred my HD800 slightly. YOMV

I have to agree with Frank on this one.  Also, just to note:  The T1 amp requirements may be more demanding than the 500s.  I find my B22 does in fact bring out the best of the T1. The bass on the T1 is more accurate when compared to the 500s - not as deep in the sub bass area but more accuracy as across the spectrum.  I find the treble on the 500s to be much smoother but the energy is about the same.  Again the T1 is not as forgiving as the 500s are thus make it more transparent - the 500s are a warmer headphone by far.

I like the 880s as well but the T1 IMO is a step above. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back