HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 11, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #2,551 of 20,386
Quote:
Personally, I don't like the silver cable. What do you guys say?

Hate the stock silver cable in terms of its built. Very rigid and easily gets damaged. My newer silver cables from Headphone Lounge are much lighter, softer and seem to be built tough (although time will time)

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #2,552 of 20,386
Quote:
These sound great straight out of the box, my goodness.  Easily the best cans I've had, or heard for that matter (I haven't heard very many).  And although I do intend to upgrade my amp and DAC (probably to  Violectric), they sound pretty great without burn-in and straight through my Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 and PH-6 rig.  

Congrats and enjoy!  

I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading for now, the HE500's sound great out of most quality amps. They also play well with tubes.   

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #2,553 of 20,386
Thanks LugBug1.  Yeah I can probably keep the GAS at bay for a while in between my Grant Fidelity rig, Leckerton DAC/amp and I might even dust off my old FiiO E7/E9 just for the sake of comparison.  And yet, I hear the Violectric V200 and V800 calling me from a distance.  :)

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #2,556 of 20,386
I would say so probably. The silver stock cable for me was a little thin and hard sounding to the upgrade that I got. I went for a silver/copper job from toxic and I noticed smoother and fuller sound.

But cables are a fickle subject... If anything, a quality upgrade will be more flexible with less microphonics.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #2,558 of 20,386
Quote:
Thanks
I had the he400 and just got these in from Justin who had them to me in one day so I will be selling the he400

thanks for posting.  im probably going to go ahead and keep the free next day air shipping on these

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jan 12, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #2,559 of 20,386
Posted in the other thread, but I think this one is more active. I may be going crazy, but during burn in did anyone else notice their HE500 get brighter? I left the cans on pink noise all night and this morning I think they sound brighter/more shout'y then they did. Could just be in my head.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #2,561 of 20,386
Quote:
Posted in the other thread, but I think this one is more active. I may be going crazy, but during burn in did anyone else notice their HE500 get brighter? I left the cans on pink noise all night and this morning I think they sound brighter/more shout'y then they did. Could just be in my head.

Yes I did. They opened up quite a bit for me, not sure how much was brain burn in but they defo changed from stock over time.

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #2,562 of 20,386
I didn't notice that but they do smooth out nicely, at least the ones I got.

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #2,563 of 20,386
I didn't notice any change in sound with mine, even though I avidly tried to burn them in every night (probably only listened to 20 out of the first 200 hours of them playing music).

If you find its treble too bright, try pleather earpads. If you find them too dark, try velours. The earpads determine largely the upper end tonality of the headphones.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #2,564 of 20,386
I didn't notice any change with my pair either .
confused.gif

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2,565 of 20,386
First impression of the J$+HE500: It sounds like a marriage between the stock (airy treble, microdetails) velours and (robust lush lower end, black background) pleathers. But more importantly, hallelujah it's comfortable.

It sounds a bit sibilant similar the HFM velours though, possibly because it doesn't have any nylon screen in the middle at all to mediate the treble.

I just pm'ed him to ask if he still had those beyer pads for my he500...keep my fingers crossed :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back