HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 24, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #2,071 of 20,386
Quote:
eek.gif

Good choice though my friend. The HE500's are definitely the best for classical between the two. I'd be more than happy to only have the HE500's if all I listened to was classical.
My LCD2's are keepers for my love of Jazz, and they can't be beat for this genre. No matter what anyone says. I won't believe them. Simple as.
bigsmile_face.gif

I have no complaints about the HE-500 with orchestral material. With the pleather pads out of an HT receiver playing 256kps MP3s they still frequently remind me of the real thing.  My main complaint is comfort. They squeeze so hard it reminds me of headlocks back at school. (Ah...nostalgia
tongue.gif
)

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #2,072 of 20,386
I've read the Phonitor and LCD's aren't such a good match, but opinions will of course vary. Haven't experienced the Phonitor myself.

360 mA is not really enough for the HE-500 if you want to get the really best out of it, you should look elsewere if you're gonna spend that amount of money. The Violectric V100/200 gives close to 2000 mW, for instance - if you want to stick with German solid state :wink:..  Then, there's always the Schiit stuff.

Quote:
Recently only, I got my HE-500 and I am running them at the moment on a LD MKIII (who is laughing? :wink: ). After a little tube rolling galore, it already sounds great. But I guess there is quite more amp headroom. :) 
With interest, I read the desktop amp speaker tap discussion. Just wondering what about the opposite side, for example the SPL Auditor with 360 mA at 30 ohms? I have heard the Phonitor with LCDs (2 and 3) and it sounded quite impressive. Would the Auditor be driving the HE-500 good enough?

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #2,073 of 20,386
Quote:

I have no complaints about the HE-500 with orchestral material. With the pleather pads out of an HT receiver playing 256kps MP3s they still frequently remind me of the real thing.  My main complaint is comfort. They squeeze so hard it reminds me of headlocks back at school. (Ah...nostalgia
tongue.gif
)

Hifiman headbands use springsteel cores so that users could (gently) flex them until they give optimal clamp for specific heads, ya know. It's extremely durable and elastic, so you needn't worry about breaking anything unless you bend it past 180 degrees.

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #2,074 of 20,386
What took you so long? 
tongue.gif

Glad to hear they scratch your classical bone where it itches 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Please, don't start up a Rev1, Rev2, Rosewood or Bamboo, veiled or not veiled or unveiled controversy here. I thought I'd escaped that when I sold my LCD-2.  

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #2,075 of 20,386
Quote:
Hifiman headbands use springsteel cores so that users could (gently) flex them until they give optimal clamp for specific heads, ya know. It's extremely durable and elastic, so you needn't worry about breaking anything unless you bend it past 180 degrees.

This actually occurred to me before I read your post and it worked. Most headbands have a strong memory (unlike yours truly) and will resist all attempts to decrease the inward pressure; the HE-500 is the exception. Now I wish hifiman would offer more luxurious earpads--maybe an economy version of the Audeze pads.

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #2,077 of 20,386
This actually occurred to me before I read your post and it worked. Most headbands have a strong memory (unlike yours truly) and will resist all attempts to decrease the inward pressure; the HE-500 is the exception. Now I wish hifiman would offer more luxurious earpads--maybe an economy version of the Audeze pads.

+1 on that..or angled lawton pads.. :D maybe we can ask lawton audio to make modded pads for hifiman range..they do it for denon and they do it also for fostex 900..next hifiman?

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #2,078 of 20,386
There's also the stock D7k pads. I use them on my HE6. The angled pads by Lawton Audio are past what I would like to spend on pads. 

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #2,080 of 20,386
Hahha, you're right, I wouldn't.

Don't think I'm going to let you off that easy.
biggrin.gif
 I want to hear your impressions.
Quote:

You wouldn't use the word itch if you knew I had a wheat allergy.  
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #2,082 of 20,386
I do not really think the HE-500 has a rolled off treble. It is one of my brightest cans.... Also - amp synergy vary from can to can, and isn't easily predicted. I thought the HE-500 sounded good on the V200 - but I never owned it (the amp).  Especially a low-sensitive headphone such as the HE-500 might sound very different on low power amps that doesn't drive it properly, I guess.
Quote:
I've read the Violectric V200 would be a good match for the HE-500. But I also read that the V200 has a relaxed, rolled off treble. Now HE-500s have a quite forgiving treble as well, wouldn't this combination make the treble quite "unexciting"?

Here's headroom's graph - as you can see - it isn't totally clear that the treble of the HE-500 is recessed.. even compared to the "treble monster" HD800.....

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #2,083 of 20,386
I do not really think the HE-500 has a rolled off treble. It is one of my brightest cans.... Also - amp synergy vary from can to can, and isn't easily predicted. I thought the HE-500 sounded good on the V200 - but I never owned it (the amp). 

He500 bright? Ru kidding? :D .if they are bright..ur head will explode hearing the he400,he6 or grado's :D with my 337 they sound plush and velvetly..with emphasis a bit on mids..for me best balance..imho :D but i think it has to do what amp, what source or even what cables u use..for instance i changed the standard silver cable for a copper cable from DHC..

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #2,084 of 20,386
I said it was "one of my brightest cans". I have deliberatly collected the most unbright cans I can find of decent quality. Compared to losts of other stuff, it isn't bright. 

I also replaced the silver cable - it made it a lot sweeter. 

The 337 has a veeeery unbright reputation FWIR - so I gues it's not really representative. 

Anyway - if you love it on the 337 (being a very unbright amp) then it is safe to assume that Acapella11 could assume it is not unexiting :) My guess is the V200 is more bright than the 337...

Quote:
He500 bright? Ru kidding?
biggrin.gif
.if they are bright..ur head will explode hearing the he400,he6 or grado's
biggrin.gif
with my 337 they sound plush and velvetly..with emphasis a bit on mids..for me best balance..imho
biggrin.gif
but i think it has to do what amp, what source or even what cables u use..for instance i changed the standard silver cable for a copper cable from DHC..

I've read the Violectric V200 would be a good match for the HE-500. But I also read that the V200 has a relaxed, rolled off treble. Now HE-500s have a quite forgiving treble as well, wouldn't this combination make the treble quite "unexciting"?

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #2,085 of 20,386
Quote:
I do not really think the HE-500 has a rolled off treble. It is one of my brightest cans.... Also - amp synergy vary from can to can, and isn't easily predicted. I thought the HE-500 sounded good on the V200 - but I never owned it (the amp).  Especially a low-sensitive headphone such as the HE-500 might sound very different on low power amps that doesn't drive it properly, I guess.

Here's headroom's graph - as you can see - it isn't totally clear that the treble of the HE-500 is recessed.. even compared to the "treble monster" HD800.....

No, it isn't. But I think the critical thing here is where the peaks occur and the hearing ability of the person commenting. I don't hear the HE-500 peak, not surprisingly as I'm 66. A younger person would. The HD800 peak occurs 3khz down, and thus is more significant to more people. (You know, I have a feeling that if Sennheiser could just tame that peak a litle they'd have a world-beater on their hands).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back