HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 22, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #2,056 of 20,374
Quote:

May I borrow your ears? I can't hear any difference. 
tongue.gif

Yes. And can you then send them onto him below
Quote:
I feel exactly the same about the pleather.  The velour feel harder, the pleather softer.  The pleather create a seal around my ears that I like which the velours don't.  And I don't hear any difference in the sound at all.  My only complaint that applies to both is that they're not deep enough.  Another 1/2 inch would be perfect so that my ears don't make contact with the driver covers.

I really want to like the pleathers, they are more comfortable and look nice and don't collect fluff (that annoys me...!) but I've tried them 3 time now telling myself that they are'nt much different.... but no. Noooo no. They compress the sound too much, it becomes "boxy", the mids become congested and muddy....

I must have great ears!
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #2,057 of 20,374
Yes. And can you then send them onto him below
I really want to like the pleathers, they are more comfortable and look nice and don't collect fluff (that annoys me...!) but I've tried them 3 time now telling myself that they are'nt much different.... but no. Noooo no. They compress the sound too much, it becomes "boxy", the mids become congested and muddy....

I must have great ears! :ksc75smile:

Yeah i really hate that they collect fluff...my beyerdynamics with velours dont collect almost any..i keep on cleaning the stuff off! This is a big letdown for the velours..
its strange though..with my he300 i liked the sound better with the pleather! But with he500..less so. Maybe my ears are tuned different then others? :D

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #2,058 of 20,374
Quote:

That could be a bit uncomfortable.
tongue.gif

Am I the only who finds the pleather pads more comfortable than the velour? Or who can't hear any difference between the two?

I feel exactly the same about the pleather.  The velour feel harder, the pleather softer.  The pleather create a seal around my ears that I like which the velours don't.  And I don't hear any difference in the sound at all.  My only complaint that applies to both is that they're not deep enough.  Another 1/2 inch would be perfect so that my ears don't make contact with the driver covers.

I got hold of some of the last sets of J$money lambsskin Beyer replacement pads and they are perfect for me. Otherwise the Fischer FA-003 leather pads are also good. Both are deeper than the HiFiMan pads

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #2,059 of 20,374
I got hold of some of the last sets of J$money lambsskin Beyer replacement pads and they are perfect for me. Otherwise the Fischer FA-003 leather pads are also good. Both are deeper than the HiFiMan pads

Doesnt the sound change in a negative way?..as i heared when the drivers get more separated from ur ears from the he500 the sound gets less deep and full..can u confirm thats the case or not?as i am interested in those pads

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #2,060 of 20,374
They are slightly smaller, but they fit the ring OK. I even use the supplied foam covers but one can improvise something more transparent of course. 

Check out this thread for alternative pads for the HE-500
http://www.head-fi.org/t/572327/mission-replace-the-hifiman-ear-pads-with-other-brand-ear-pads
Quote:
Are they easy to fit? I might give them ago.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #2,061 of 20,374

Doesnt the sound change in a negative way?..as i heared when the drivers get more separated from ur ears from the he500 the sound gets less deep and full..can u confirm thats the case or not?as i am interested in those pads

I don't really hear any difference but that's just me. You will only be able to get J$money pads second hand as no more will be made and they are sold ouy. Also if you have big ears they might not do as the inner diameter is slightly smaller that on HiFiMans own pads

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #2,062 of 20,374
Quote:
I don't really hear any difference but that's just me. You will only be able to get J$money pads second hand as no more will be made and they are sold ouy. Also if you have big ears they might not do as the inner diameter is slightly smaller that on HiFiMans own pads

Personally I'm looking for pads that are slightly larger than hifiman's as the latter--the velours in particular--pinch my ears.

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #2,063 of 20,374
Personally I'm looking for pads that are slightly larger than hifiman's as the latter--the velours in particular--pinch my ears.

I heard bout lawton audio angled denon pads or fostex pads...anyone experience with those? Those are huge and comfy..i even saw someone put on lcd 2 pads on their he500..need to find that thread again! :D

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #2,065 of 20,374
LCD pads on the HE-500 would be a great idea---when Audeze start selling them for $30 a pair. :D

Yeah :wink: and if u do order them for ur 500..better not say its for ur 500..as if u do they will say they are out of stock..:D seriously..i think a pair does 99 usd..maybe i will try it..just to be silly..am really curious how hey will sound then..only need to decide whats best sounding pad..the vagan or the real leather pad.. I think i will quietly step into a audeze thread to find out.. :p

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #2,066 of 20,374
Does anyone have experience with both earlier production (mid~late 2011) and recent production (made during or past summer of this year) HE500? Do they have discernible differences?

I acquired a pair of HE500s made from last year and am thinking about replacing them with Head-Direct, a bit curious though if such a replacement would have improved or reduced performance.

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #2,067 of 20,374
Quote:
Does anyone have experience with both earlier production (mid~late 2011) and recent production (made during or past summer of this year) HE500? Do they have discernible differences?

I acquired a pair of HE500s made from last year and am thinking about replacing them with Head-Direct, a bit curious though if such a replacement would have improved or reduced performance.

More padding on the newer HE-500 headband and it feels as if my newer I got this summer had less clamping force. Sound wise, at this point I honestly can't remember too much...but initially I couldn't stand my new HE-500...maybe it was the lack of burn in. Although now the sound has gotten much better, but still don't remember enough to say which one was better after burn in.

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #2,068 of 20,374
Quote:

Please, don't start up a Rev1, Rev2, Rosewood or Bamboo, veiled or not veiled or unveiled controversy here. I thought I'd escaped that when I sold my LCD-2.  

Nov 24, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #2,069 of 20,374
Quote:

Please, don't start up a Rev1, Rev2, Rosewood or Bamboo, veiled or not veiled or unveiled controversy here. I thought I'd escaped that when I sold my LCD-2.  

eek.gif

Good choice though my friend. The HE500's are definitely the best for classical between the two. I'd be more than happy to only have the HE500's if all I listened to was classical.
My LCD2's are keepers for my love of Jazz, and they can't be beat for this genre. No matter what anyone says. I won't believe them. Simple as.
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #2,070 of 20,374
Recently only, I got my HE-500 and I am running them at the moment on a LD MKIII (who is laughing? :wink: ). After a little tube rolling galore, it already sounds great. But I guess there is quite more amp headroom. :) 
With interest, I read the desktop amp speaker tap discussion. Just wondering what about the opposite side, for example the SPL Auditor with 360 mA at 30 ohms? I have heard the Phonitor with LCDs (2 and 3) and it sounded quite impressive. Would the Auditor be driving the HE-500 good enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back