HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 20, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #18,542 of 20,386
Perforated Ori or Brainwavz Angled Velour pads. Perforated Ori breathe really well and have that downward response that sounds natural with no rising treble. The Brainwavz Angled Velour are a little more accurate but also slightly leaner and aren't as comfortable to wear.

Hello cskippy!

I currently use straight Brainwavz Velours on my pair of HE-500s. Do the angled ones make much of a difference?

May 20, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #18,543 of 20,386
The angled pads will improve the sound stage as they place the drivers further from your ears and slightly in front. They might be too laid back in the presence region coming from those pads and the 10kHz peak might stand out a bit, but I haven't tried the non angled pads so I'm not 100% on that.

They do sound quite good though!

May 26, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #18,545 of 20,386
Hello cskippy!

I currently use straight Brainwavz Velours on my pair of HE-500s. Do the angled ones make much of a difference?

I tried the Angled HM5 pads. I thought the increased distance between driver and ear took away some of that wonderful mid-range and vocals away. Went back to flat pads.

Currently using HM5 hybrid flat pads, as the cloth on the back of the HiFiMan Pads started to some loose.

May 26, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #18,546 of 20,386
Can anyone that also owns a pair of LCD-X's provide any comparison between these cans? Love the audeze sound but man, they are hard to wear for extended periods due to the weight.

I don't own either so I have to go off of memory: LCD-X sounds brighter/more fatiguing, though that fatigue might also come from Audeze's typical treble dip which causes unnaturalness for vocals, pianos, and more. HE-500 doesn't have that and sounds more natural, a nice mix of good impact when called for yet never fatiguing. LCD-X wins in detail retrieval and wins clearly in bass.

I'm interested in how the HE-500 compares to its modern day counterpart, the Sundara. The HE-500 was an incredible deal at $500, which the Sundara can be had for nowadays. I've heard only good things about the Sundara's sound quality, that it threatens $1000+ headphones.

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #18,548 of 20,386
Picked up a pair of these the other day. I heard them at a head-fi meet and really liked their sound. So far the only thing I've changed on them is the earpads. I'm using the FocusPad-A's as they are the best sounding to me. I prefer them over the ZMF Ori pads and both sets of stock pads. I'm thinking about getting the headband pad to help with comfort but so far I'm okay with it. The stock cable is adequate from a cosmetic standpoint. It's stiff as a board, tangles easily, is micro-phonic but in all honesty it sounds great. I've tried it with both the iDSD BL and Hugo 2 and prefer them with latter. The HE-500's are fantastic sounding headphones and to me sound better than the HE-560's I use to own. The HE-560's sounded more open, airy with good bass. But the HE-500's sound is more weighty, musical and natural sounding to my ears. It's an awesome addition to my collection!

HE-500 and Hugo 2.jpg

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #18,551 of 20,386
I think the HE-500 far outperforms the HE-560 and probably any LCD-2 (my LCD series experience is limited to the LCD-2F, LCD-X, LCD-3F, and LCD-4 which crushes all the others in every way). I will even say the HE-500 sounds far more natural than the LCD-4.. so yes I rank the HE-500 above any Audeze. Audeze's recession causing treble is really the death of natural sound for the LCD lineup.

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #18,552 of 20,386
Jun 22, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #18,553 of 20,386
I think the HE-500 far outperforms the HE-560 and probably any LCD-2 (my LCD series experience is limited to the LCD-2F, LCD-X, LCD-3F, and LCD-4 which crushes all the others in every way). I will even say the HE-500 sounds far more natural than the LCD-4.. so yes I rank the HE-500 above any Audeze. Audeze's recession causing treble is really the death of natural sound for the LCD lineup.

I feel the same way. The only thing i don't know is if the HEX-V2 is an upgrade?

Jun 22, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #18,554 of 20,386
I feel the same way. The only thing i don't know is if the HEX-V2 is an upgrade?

Need to find people with both. I have listened to the Edition X but only once and it was a while ago, and I wasn't very interested since I was listening to the HE1000 which was new at the time.

The most direct upgrade to me is the HE-6, despite its hotter treble which mods can tame (e.g. LFF Code-6). The LFF Code-X should be an upgrade too.

Jun 22, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #18,555 of 20,386
Need to find people with both. I have listened to the Edition X but only once and it was a while ago, and I wasn't very interested since I was listening to the HE1000 which was new at the time.

The most direct upgrade to me is the HE-6, despite its hotter treble which mods can tame (e.g. LFF Code-6). The LFF Code-X should be an upgrade too.

Hopefully there's someone on this thread that heard both and can offer their impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back