HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 18, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #18,496 of 20,374
Regarding the he500 vs hex v2 I found the hex more laid back and softer overall.

It has a slightly larger soundstage, and a quite similar response but the he500 has a little more sparkle and a bit more impact throughout the frequency response, making it sound a little more forward and engaging.

The hex probably has the most unoffensive and balanced frequency response I’ve ever heard, but it’s just a bit to soft for my liking- I want a little more fun and enagagement; which the he500 brings through its punchiness.

The bass on the hex rumbles more than the he500, but slams and punches a little harder on the he500

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #18,497 of 20,374
Balanced tonality is important to me, and a draw for HE-500 is the pricepoint, and better efficiency than the HE-6(which is notorious for inefficiency). HIfiman must have placed the 6 on there for a reason. His models do go up in number as they go higher Tier, although at some point he's giving them names(Susvaria, etc..).

I think HE500 and 560 need to make a baby. LOL.

Now, I'm curious what people thought of properly driven HE-6 to HE-500.

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #18,498 of 20,374
Funny you ask, i just asked for comparisons of the HE-500 on the HEX V2 thread.

Anyway yes, i extensively compared the HE-560 to the HE-500 and i 'wanted' to prefer the HE-560 since it is more comfortable, however i found the HE-560 thinner sounding and a tad shrill on top. To me the HE-500 is weightier with more body and better bass impact.

I put an aftermarket wrap around headband cushion onto my HE500's which has substantially improved the comfort, therefore, pleasure of lengthier listening sessions.

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #18,499 of 20,374
Regarding the he500 vs hex v2 I found the hex more laid back and softer overall.

It has a slightly larger soundstage, and a quite similar response but the he500 has a little more sparkle and a bit more impact throughout the frequency response, making it sound a little more forward and engaging.

The hex probably has the most unoffensive and balanced frequency response I’ve ever heard, but it’s just a bit to soft for my liking- I want a little more fun and enagagement; which the he500 brings through its punchiness.

The bass on the hex rumbles more than the he500, but slams and punches a little harder on the he500

Thank you. This description is precisely how i feel about the HEX having heard it briefly without the ability to A/B directly with the HE-500.
Seems like the next 'true' upgrade would be the outrageously expensive HEK.

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #18,501 of 20,374
I took my HE-500s to CanJam NYC this weekend and played with a few balanced amps. The Klipsch heritage DAC/Amp was very clean and rich in detail but I felt it didn't have the bass I like out of an amp. The Questyle CMA600i was very impressive with the mids without displacing the lows and highs. But the King amp in my opinion was the Cayin Stack iDAC6/iHA-6, it blew me away. It was like the Bruce Lee of DAC/Amp pairings. Highly recommend that amp for any HE-500 owners. I have Ether Flow angled pads on mine but the bass attack, crystal clear mods, and sparkling not sibilant highs were a dream.

Feb 19, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #18,502 of 20,374
I took my HE-500s to CanJam NYC this weekend and played with a few balanced amps. The Klipsch heritage DAC/Amp was very clean and rich in detail but I felt it didn't have the bass I like out of an amp. The Questyle CMA600i was very impressive with the mids without displacing the lows and highs. But the King amp in my opinion was the Cayin Stack iDAC6/iHA-6, it blew me away. It was like the Bruce Lee of DAC/Amp pairings. Highly recommend that amp for any HE-500 owners. I have Ether Flow angled pads on mine but the bass attack, crystal clear mods, and sparkling not sibilant highs were a dream.

You didn't mention trying them with the Keces S3, I hear that was there and is what I use with mine. Brilliant pairing

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #18,504 of 20,374
Agreed- love the impact and think the treble is best with the velour- everything else either makes the mids or treble too dark or muffled (brainwavz, focus, vegan)

Although the vegans are 2nd. Vegans are amazing on the he400i though

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #18,505 of 20,374
Yeah, the vegans help the soundstage and comfort, but like you said, it's overall too muffled sounding on the 500s. Brainwavz velour is second to me and measure the best (I posted measurements pages back), but they just don't sound as clean as the stock velour - nothing does. With the other pads I was often reaching for my 650s, but when I switched back to stock I was like damn, this is what has been missing.

The only small issue is there is minor bass roll off at around 30 Hz which some other pads fix, but I have yet to notice it while listening. I'm going to work on trying to get them to seal a bit better, a method I posted earlier helps but there is room for improvement I think.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #18,507 of 20,374
those pads sound better than stock velours, i just made a comparison
HTB1ukFPPFXXXXbLXVXXq6xXFXXXH.jpg

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #18,508 of 20,374
what are those?

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #18,510 of 20,374
those pads sound better than stock velours, i just made a comparison
HTB1ukFPPFXXXXbLXVXXq6xXFXXXH.jpg
Upon close inspection interior material of the ring seems a different material with some pores.

I've seen Hifimans have more reflective material like leather or fuax in the interior ring with pores and surface more like velour. Both HE560 and HE1000, forget if they had pores

The recent Focal pads puts pores all over I think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back