HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 1, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #17,596 of 20,386
Just completed the HE500 mods! Whoever said you need to do them all together was absolutely correct. I started with the grill mod which opened up the soundstage tremendously however it increased the treble a few db too much for my liking. Next I replaced the pads with the vegans and I noticed an increased bass impact, more focus in the imaging and it brought the treble back in balance. After that I followed Ohhgourami's suggestion and cut out the dust cover in the vegan pads and installed his felt disc on the back side of the pads, this improved the clarity but unfortunately made the headphones too bright again. I just finished with the fuzzor mod as I read that could reduce the treble spikes and now I have the balance I was looking for along with all the other improvements that come with the mods. These headphones were good as is but now they are on a new level completely!

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #17,597 of 20,386
I respect your position. It sounds like you should try the HE-6 properly driven. They synthesize beautifully the hot chocolate and distilled water and then take everything up a notch. Magical is the best adjective I can think of. I could also see, though, someone saying the HE-500s are less colored than the T1 (as if color actually mattered as a criteria for me). I still have yet to hear the T1 and would love to have the opportunity, especially the first version. 

T1 colored? Absolutely not. I can't think of a more transparent headphone. You really ought to hear it for yourself.

Apr 2, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #17,600 of 20,386
  Compared to HE-500 (and even other Hifiman headphones), T1 (or actually any other Beyer headphone) is less transparent. 

Can't really disagree with your taste given the opamp driven, heavy NFB amps you are possessing.

Apr 2, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #17,602 of 20,386

Can't really disagree with your taste given the opamp driven, heavy NFB amps you are possessing.

How can my taste be correlated to the amps I am possesing? First of all, my Musical Fidelity amp is not OP-driven, it is a tube amp. Second, I didn't use the amps I am possessing right now when I tested the T1. Third, the sound signature of the T1 is what it is. It won't change with a different amp.

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #17,603 of 20,386
How can my taste be correlated to the amps I am possesing? First of all, my Musical Fidelity amp is not OP-driven, it is a tube amp. Second, I didn't use the amps I am possessing right now when I tested the T1. Third, the sound signature of the T1 is what it is. It won't change with a different amp.

Enlightening opinion indeed.

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #17,605 of 20,386
Compared to HE-500 (and even other Hifiman headphones), T1 (or actually any other Beyer headphone) is less transparent. 

I own both and could not disagree more.

Apr 2, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #17,606 of 20,386

You'll have a hard time convincing a lot of people here of that last statement. Then again, you'd have a hard time convincing some people that cables don't make a difference. "I know what I hear" is a common retort.

Apr 2, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #17,607 of 20,386
  You'll have a hard time convincing a lot of people here of that last statement. Then again, you'd have a hard time convincing some people that cables don't make a difference. "I know what I hear" is a common retort.

Yeah, I know 
wink_face.gif
 Amplifiers are hugely overrated, let alone cables. I have really hard times convincing people that my HE-500 sound great through my O2 to me (and yes, I have heard hp amps costing over $1000). 

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #17,609 of 20,386
My question is: What do you mean by transparency?

Uncolored. Transparent to the source, doesn't impose any warmth. An open window?

Apr 2, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #17,610 of 20,386
T1 colored? Absolutely not. I can't think of a more transparent headphone. You really ought to hear it for yourself.

Yes. Even the HD800 is colored, especially with its peak at 6K. Boosting the treble may give the illusion of more transparency, but ultimately, just because something is colored doesn't mean it's inherently bad. Without having heard the T1 (I own the HD800 classic), from all accounts it appears to emphasize the treble just as another headphone might emphasize the mids or bass. I don't see why people are so defensive about this. People are entitled to enjoy whatever headphone that pleases them. The HE-500 has a pleasant, slightly euphonic and warm tonality that I find pleasing, and it's not totally neutral. The closer analogy to the T1 from the HiFiMAN line, in terms of pricing and signature would be the HE-560 and still the two are very different from each other. Comparing the T1 to the HE-500 makes little sense to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back