HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 21, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #15,871 of 20,386

Originally Posted by prez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I bought some velour pads for some Sony headphones I have, and they are exponentially better than the ones included with the hifiman set.  I may have to consider a mod at some point down the road.

Oh, btw, I did try the Hifiman Focus pads (newer ones with perforated pleather on inside ring) these are better made and softer/more comfortable than the original 500 velours.
But to me these pads made the 500's sound boring - removing both presence and lightening the balance. Others seem to luv em - go figure.
confused.gif

Very much personal preference.

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #15,872 of 20,386
About comfort. HE500s feels similar to my previous ath m50, except they heavier. Pleather pads more plesant, than velour (yep, the last one are scratchy). But thats all. I saw 3 star reviews, where sound was rated at 5 stars, and comfort get only 1. Thats not true, cuz 1 is turture machine, and 500s are far away from it

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #15,873 of 20,386
Hm, i found velour pads a little more brighter. And that "little" was too much for me, so i changed 'em back. Now mission #1 to get rid of stock silver plated cable, and achieve pure cooper.

See my review on Zynsonics Trebuchet

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #15,874 of 20,386
Hm, i found velour pads a little more brighter. And that "little" was too much for me, so i changed 'em back. Now mission #1 to get rid of stock silver plated cable, and achieve pure cooper.

I still gotta get rid of the short cable that the seller i bought my HE-500 from used. Atleast he had the heart to change the pads to brand new ones. But that cable its super short like it used for portable players or something. Worst enough playing a game and battling the cable at the same time. He used Velour pads but I don't know if it was the hifiman velvours or the cheap ones on ebay. What ever earpads he used annoy me as well as they keep rotating when i put the headphones on.

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #15,875 of 20,386
I still gotta get rid of the short cable that the seller i bought my HE-500 from used. Atleast he had the heart to change the pads to brand new ones. But that cable its super short like it used for portable players or something. Worst enough playing a game and battling the cable at the same time. He used Velour pads but I don't know if it was the hifiman velvours or the cheap ones on ebay. What ever earpads he used annoy me as well as they keep rotating when i put the headphones on.

I meant that cheap stock silver cable gives a very bright, sharp sound, with terrible sibilance. Replacing on copper cord will solve this problem.

See my review on Zynsonics Trebuchet

I will, but living in Crimea, i have no optiins to buy it :p

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #15,876 of 20,386
  Comfort is another personal thing. Initially I found the velour pads coarse and scratchy - but either I've adapted or they've worn in. In comparison I find the pleather a bit sticky/plasticky - is that a word?  

I will a/b them a bit more, but i was surprised to say the least!

I bought some velour pads for some Sony headphones I have, and they are exponentially better than the ones included with the hifiman set.  I may have to consider a mod at some point down the road.

Yes, plastic-y and sticky can apply to the cheap pleather HFM uses.  They also use very cheap velour, esp. compared to the four or five others I have.  There's a reason HFM charges $10 for their velours.

Some people like one of the FocusPad variants on their HE-500s.  I thought the FocusPads were OK, though I really prefer a larger opening.  They're not worth $40 to me, but YMMV.  I'd say try the ~$25 eBay AKG pads first.

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #15,877 of 20,386

Yes, plastic-y and sticky can apply to the cheap pleather HFM uses.  They also use very cheap velour, esp. compared to the four or five others I have.  There's a reason HFM charges $10 for their velours.

Some people like one of the FocusPad variants on their HE-500s.  I thought the FocusPads were OK, though I really prefer a larger opening.  They're not worth $40 to me, but YMMV.  I'd say try the ~$25 eBay AKG pads first.

Comfort wise the HM5 velours rock but they are pretty thick so bass takes a slight hit. http://www.yourbrainwavz.com/HM5padsvelour.html

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #15,878 of 20,386
  Comfort wise the HM5 velours rock but they are pretty thick so bass takes a slight hit. http://www.yourbrainwavz.com/HM5padsvelour.html

Yes, they are really comfortable, but as you noted, the bass suffers.  For me it got a bit wooly and one-noted.  That led to an overall lack of energy compared to other pads.  The same thing happened when I tried them on the Fidelio X2s, but even worse due to the X2s signature.  While I'd love to try the angled Alpha pads, they're approaching 3x what I paid for the surprisingly good AKG knockoffs.

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #15,879 of 20,386
I meant that cheap stock silver cable gives a very bright, sharp sound, with terrible sibilance. Replacing on copper cord will solve this problem.
I will, but living in Crimea, i have no optiins to buy it
tongue.gif

I know you meant the stock cable,does it happen to sliver cables in general or just the stock ones. As I have Very similar type of sound and the seller used the Furutech silver cables that  on the HE-500 he sold me

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #15,880 of 20,386
I don't believe in silver. Maybe it's because I'm a Vampire, more likely because I know better. Just say'in to keep some balance. Copper all the way, stock is good except for the annoying ergonmomics/microphonics.

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #15,881 of 20,386
I don't believe in silver. Maybe it's because I'm a Vampire, more likely because I know better. Just say'in to keep some balance. Copper all the way, stock is good except for the annoying ergonmomics/microphonics.

Which cable do you use Mr. Vampire?

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #15,882 of 20,386
Yes, they are really comfortable, but as you noted, the bass suffers.  For me it got a bit wooly and one-noted.  That led to an overall lack of energy compared to other pads.  The same thing happened when I tried them on the Fidelio X2s, but even worse due to the X2s signature.  While I'd love to try the angled Alpha pads, they're approaching 3x what I paid for the surprisingly good AKG knockoffs.

I dont know if the Alpha Pads would be to your liking. On the M-Audio Q40 thread they were very popular but were purported to change the sound into a "fun" (v shaped?) sound signature. Also, they are very expensive but do look nice.

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #15,883 of 20,386
Which cable do you use Mr. Vampire?

Stock. Since I don't do calisthenics, microphones is not an issue. By the way the microphonics occur mostly by contact with the upper portion of the cable, above the split.
I also use the stock cable on my HD600. I measured both the resistance and capacitance of that cable and found that it's effects occur at RF (Radio Frequencies) far above what even the most golden of ears can hear.
By the way for those interested, these calculations are the very basics of Electrical Engineering, something that is learned in college very early on. Yes I was there for the classes, I also learned this when I was a teenager as Electronics and audio were my hobbies back in the dark ages.

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #15,884 of 20,386
  Stock. Since I don't do calisthenics, microphones is not an issue. By the way the microphonics occur mostly by contact with the upper portion of the cable, above the split.
I also use the stock cable on my HD600. I measured both the resistance and capacitance of that cable and found that it's effects occur at RF (Radio Frequencies) far above what even the most golden of ears can hear.
By the way for those interested, these calculations are the very basics of Electrical Engineering, something that is learned in college very early on. Yes I was there for the classes, I also learned this when I was a teenager as Electronics and audio were my hobbies back in the dark ages.

Haha. I did not find the microphonics in stock to be as much of a problem either. However, I do actually dance with my headphones on some times, so it became more of an issue then. :)

Interesting to hear this topic comes up in rudimentary EE coursework!

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #15,885 of 20,386
  Haha. I did not find the microphonics in stock to be as much of a problem either. However, I do actually dance with my headphones on some times, so it became more of an issue then. :)

Interesting to hear this topic comes up in rudimentary EE coursework!

You can dance with that cable, it tangles easily.
I wasn't kidding when I said it's very basic and in the first courses an EE takes. The math as it relates to headphone cables isn't complicated. A lot easier than risky VaR calculations. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back