Hifiman HE-5 + Little Dot MKVII+ = Wow!!!
Jun 11, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #17 of 18
AcousticMatter,

Any update on the VI+ with the HE-5LE? Trying to decide between it and a hybrid amp (speaking of which, if anyone knows a good balanced hybrid that might work, I am all ears). EF5 is designed for synergy with these phones, but I'd love to have what it offers in terms of matching the HE-5LE with being able to take advantage of the balanced cable.

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #18 of 18
Roscoeiii,

Absolutely - I am enjoying my new HE-5LEs a lot with the VI+. The headphones seem to match this amp very, very well. As others have noted, the VI+ is a very clean sounding amp, which I find do the HE-5LEs a lot of good. While both my HD650s and K1000s sound excellent running balanced through the VI+, the HE-5LEs together with the LD amp is my favorite all round rig. It does classical and acoustic music very well with details, speed and a wide soundstage in range of what my K1000s are capable of. On top of that the HE-5LEs provide fuller sound than the K1000s without making the sacrifices which I feel characterizes the HD650s.

I have been using my balanced SS AKG K1000 amp with the HE-5LEs - a combination that works very well -  but I am actually enjoying the sound from the VI+ a tad more.

I have been doing a lot of tube rolling with the VI+, which I feel is necessary to get the full joy out of this amp. The standard tubes which are supplied from little dot is of poor quality sound wise. At the moment I am using a quad of Tung Sol 5998 + a pair of Brimar 6sl7gt - this gives me a very refined and detailed sound with sufficient power in the lows. 

Good luck on your quest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back