Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jun 10, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #14,281 of 14,386
When I first listened to the HE-400i, I thought they had great detail retrieval, but couldn't distinguish some instruments on busy tracks. They were better than my Fostex T50RP MK3 at the time and I felt were above my other gear (Shure SE535, Westone UM Pro 10, even the Sennheiser HD650).

But going to the HE-500, there was better separation of instruments and a larger sound stage that I could distinguish them even better. In that sense, they are "more detailed". At least that's how I would describe it. The HE-400i are about on par in detail retrieval as my Audeze Sine.
I was hunting for older used Hifimans on my local audio enthusiast forum and actually found a nice deal on HE-500 but then realized there's no way I can provide them with a good enough amplification. I'm still very curious about Hifimans of that era (HE-6 especially) but I don't own a nuclear reactor at the moment even if I'll buy them somehow. Desire to hear them still remains of course.

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #14,282 of 14,386
I was hunting for older used Hifimans on my local audio enthusiast forum and actually found a nice deal on HE-500 but then realized there's no way I can provide them with a good enough amplification. I'm still very curious about Hifimans of that era (HE-6 especially) but I don't own a nuclear reactor at the moment even if I'll buy them somehow. Desire to hear them still remains of course.
You might be surprised how the HE-500 are surprisingly not that difficult to drive. They can be powered off my iPod classic just fine. I'm only missing out on a little bit of soundstage, separation and maybe bass impact, but they can be driven to very loud listening volumes. It's not as demanding as the HE-6, that's why Hifiman created the HE-500 at the time. I would recommend getting it if you can. You can do mods to change the headband and improve the sound further as there's apparently nothing else in the market that catches the essence of its sound (save for maybe the Sundara being the closest based on some here have said).

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #14,283 of 14,386
Hart audio cables maybe. Love the functionality. Don't have them yet but has the 2.5mm cans connector and interchangeable plugs (xlr, 4..4, 1/4) and can be made in custom colors

Took forever for them to arrive, but then I'm not complaining what with the state the world is in right now, but they're here. I ended up getting these cables out of the UK via eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/232980101435 They do go extremely well with my Shanling M6. It drove them all right single ended, didn't even need high-gain mode. But with the balanced plug it's a markedly improved sound. I'm quite impressed.

Sep 24, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #14,284 of 14,386
Crinacle added some graphs of the original & updated 400i using his new headphone measuring rig: https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/hifiman-he400i/

There are clear differences between them; the 2020 version has a somewhat attenuated 2k-5k range and extended sub bass. Not sure which of these can be attributed to the new design and/or if the tuning was intentionally updated.

Sep 24, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #14,285 of 14,386
Crinacle added some graphs of the original & updated 400i using his new headphone measuring rig: https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/hifiman-he400i/

There are clear differences between them; the 2020 version has a somewhat attenuated 2k-5k range and extended sub bass. Not sure which of these can be attributed to the new design and/or if the tuning was intentionally updated.

Interesting. That's actually similar to the change in sound I got from switching the stock pads to ZMF sheepskin Oris. I wonder if they altered the pads, rather than the drivers.

Sep 24, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #14,286 of 14,386
These look much improved to be honest vs 2016. Not enough to choose over Sundara but if budget is an issue I can't see anything wrong with going 2020 400i.

Sep 26, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #14,288 of 14,386
While it is typically strongly suggested to have a speaker amp or such for HE-6, a beefy enough headphone amp does them pretty good justice. Using mine from a Lyr 2 and still have plenty of headroom on the amp, and they perform really well. I have the HE-6se, similar to the 6-screw.

Sep 26, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #14,289 of 14,386

They need 2 wpc to give a full bodied sound. Sure they will run on .4 but it won't bloom. The He-6 needs at least 8 but 16+ would work for sure.

Sep 26, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #14,290 of 14,386
While it is typically strongly suggested to have a speaker amp or such for HE-6, a beefy enough headphone amp does them pretty good justice. Using mine from a Lyr 2 and still have plenty of headroom on the amp, and they perform really well. I have the HE-6se, similar to the 6-screw.

Yes. Lyr 3 is enough. I have a Rag 1 and that's extra enuf even for the Susvara another of the HFM 79-83 db cans.

Sep 26, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #14,292 of 14,386
nice headphone.....harsh treble

Maybe stock.

1. Get rid of silver plate microphonic stock cable. A DIY or aftermarket copper cable will get rid of a lot of sizzle.
2. Fuzzor mod - the king of mods, described on this site in several several hundred spots. Helps with instrument Sep and ringing (yes planar fans all things equal planar ring the most) this mod helps that too.
3. Rear screens off for naked or audibly invisible. Cuts down treble ringing and more depth/ air.
4. Widest and deepest stage with best freq response? Dan Clark Ether Angled pads.
5. Digital Parametric EQ - 6 band at least to finish the job.

So why should you fuss with a can that's needs so much work? Because the drivers are great and HFM didn't take enough time to deal with the associated issues.

Sep 26, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #14,293 of 14,386
Maybe stock.

1. Get rid of silver plate microphonic stock cable. A DIY or aftermarket copper cable will get rid of a lot of sizzle.
2. Fuzzor mod - the king of mods, described on this site in several several hundred spots. Helps with instrument Sep and ringing (yes planar fans all things equal planar ring the most) this mod helps that too.
3. Rear screens off for naked or audibly invisible. Cuts down treble ringing and more depth/ air.
4. Widest and deepest stage with best freq response? Dan Clark Ether Angled pads.
5. Digital Parametric EQ - 6 band at least to finish the job.

So why should you fuss with a can that's needs so much work? Because the drivers are great and HFM didn't take enough time to deal with the associated issues.

wow, big thanks.

what will good a good amp+dac for this? (man voacle with musical Instruments, love the deep guitar, piano)

Sep 26, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #14,294 of 14,386
wow, big thanks.

what will good a good amp+dac for this? (man voacle with musical Instruments, love the deep guitar, piano)

I use a Rag 1, but at a more reasonable point I like the Lyr 3. Ever since I found my DAC - the Gumby (multibit) I've ignored the market. A used one would be around 700. I heard they make a nice multibit cheap I don't know might even fit in the Lyr 3.

Sep 30, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #14,295 of 14,386
Just a quick FYI to anyone with this hp and the Loxjie P20 amp, if you haven't you need to try the https://www.ebay.com/itm/6N3P-2C51-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
with this hp\amp.
Absolutely without a doubt positive change from the sound with the stock tube. I have the P20\SU8\HE400i combo (balanced) and was always a little eh about it but man rolling in that tube changed my whole experience. Great detail, separation and overall sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back