Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 31, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #11,401 of 14,386

Damn, I wish someone had given me that advice prior to my purchase. People over here have been raving about the Brainwavs non-stop. Theres definitely a difference in the sound. just not a good one IMO. I gave it a few days of listening, just cant get used to the unnecessary bass hump and the narrow soundstage, so I've shifted back to the focus pads for the time being. 

YMMV, and with my particular pads/cans:
the soundstage does take a small hit, but it's almost negligible. 5% tops. You might be confused with the fact that the soundstages relative position changes a bit, it moves closer to you/inside your head, width having the beforementioned small reduction, but height/depth remains the same.
With me, the bass "hump" you mention translated to an increase in sub-bass, combating any signs of roll off in that department - increase in quantity increased the detail in the timbre in the low end, added some texture there, I don't mind.
Also, the treble problem I was having, was eased a bit.

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #11,402 of 14,386
  Wouldn't any towel or piece of cloth work for a cover if concern with dust?

What Sticker?

They most certainly do but not as much as easily the way any generic pouch does. Besides, with the price it comes for, most people wouldn't expect basic stuffs like this would not be included.

I would have liked some kind of pouch, or even a drawstring bag, as well. They do sell a relatively inexpensive hard case for these. It keeps them safe and secure and dust free. You will need to remove the cables. I have the case for the 400, 400i, and 560. I wish they sold one for the HEK.

You can also take the foam out of the box that they came in and put them in there. Not as elegant, but it works.

I would've used the pouch in daily basis if that were included. Isn't it possible that every time attaching and de-attaching the 2.5mm connector in regular basis would yield a loose connection issue in near future?

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #11,403 of 14,386
  I would've used the pouch in daily basis if that were included. Isn't it possible that every time attaching and de-attaching the 2.5mm connector in regular basis would yield a loose connection issue in near future?

It'll lead to issues with the connection, that's for certain. The question is, when.
I can't fathom how a pouch or a sticker is relevant though, I could see the point including a pouch with a can intended for portable use :p For transporting, this.

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #11,404 of 14,386
  They most certainly do but not as much as easily the way any generic pouch does. Besides, with the price it comes for, most people wouldn't expect basic stuffs like this would not be included.

No most people would not expect that. I knew what was included with the HE-400i when I bought them. In addition of the 15 or so current sets of headphones I own only 2 or 3 came with pouches.

And no the cables are made to be connected and disconnected.  It will not harm them.

I am sure there are aftermarket pouches you could purchase if you really need one...

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #11,405 of 14,386

No most people would not expect that. I knew what was included with the HE-400i when I bought them. In addition of the 15 or so current sets of headphones I own only 2 or 3 came with pouches.

And no the cables are made to be connected and disconnected.  It will not harm them.

I am sure there are aftermarket pouches you could purchase if you really need one...

Although the cables are made to be connected/disconnected, I do think any such apparatus will fail in time :p

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #11,406 of 14,386

Although the cables are made to be connected/disconnected, I do think any such apparatus will fail in time :p

Are you worried when you connect and disconnect the other end that the amp side will fail???

confused.gif

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #11,407 of 14,386

Are you worried when you connect and disconnect the other end that the amp side will fail???

confused.gif

Well, it depends on the amp, quality of the jack/soldering etc., in general the 6.3mm jacks have stood well with the test of time, but for example, even this happened with a new 2.5k amp. Not the jack failing per se, but related to it, and managed to damage the amp nonetheless.
Any jack problems are usually rather easy to fix, but there might be some fitting annoyances present with the HiFiMANs, haven't had to repair any yet, but it's a possibility. Obv the cables can break as well.
That being said; I wouldn't put my money on HiFiMANs 2.5mm jacks in the longer run, they don't look too great, quality-wise.

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #11,408 of 14,386

Well, it depends on the amp, quality of the jack/soldering etc., in general the 6.3mm jacks have stood well with the test of time, but for example, even this happened with a new 2.5k amp. Not the jack failing per se, but related to it, and managed to damage the amp nonetheless.
Any jack problems are usually rather easy to fix, but there might be some fitting annoyances present with the HiFiMANs, haven't had to repair any yet, but it's a possibility. Obv the cables can break as well.
That being said; I wouldn't put my money on HiFiMANs 2.5mm jacks in the longer run, they don't look too great, quality-wise.

Sure any piece of equipment can break.  Nothing lasts forever.

However if you use reasonable care you should not be to concerned about plugging and unplugging a device that was designed to be plugged and unplugged. 

I do agree that some of Hifiman's QC is questionable...

IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada

beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #11,409 of 14,386

Sure any piece of equipment can break.  Nothing lasts forever.

However if you use reasonable care you should not be to concerned about plugging and unplugging a device that was designed to be plugged and unplugged. 

I do agree that some of Hifiman's QC is questionable...

IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada

beerchug.gif

The 6.3mm seems to be very well constructed and very durable but the 3.5mm is not as durable.  I've had to change the 3.5mm jack on my MDR-7506 twice since the jack failed after 2 years of plugging and in-plugging once a day but I've never seen any failures with the 6.3mm.  The 2.5mm being smaller still does not look like it will stand up as well as the 6.3mm.  The problem with both the 3.5 and 2.5 is a lot of stress is concentrated in a smaller area compared to the 6.3 is what I think is causing the 3.5mm jack to fail after 2 years.

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #11,410 of 14,386
  The 6.3mm seems to be very well constructed and very durable but the 3.5mm is not as durable.  I've had to change the 3.5mm jack on my MDR-7506 twice since the jack failed after 2 years of plugging and in-plugging once a day but I've never seen any failures with the 6.3mm.  The 2.5mm being smaller still does not look like it will stand up as well as the 6.3mm.  The problem with both the 3.5 and 2.5 is a lot of stress is concentrated in a smaller area compared to the 6.3 is what I think is causing the 3.5mm jack to fail after 2 years.

I have not had any such issues.

Just lucky I guess...

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #11,411 of 14,386

the soundstage does take a small hit, but it's almost negligible. 5% tops. You might be confused with the fact that the soundstages relative position changes a bit, it moves closer to you/inside your head, width having the beforementioned small reduction, but height/depth remains the same.
With me, the bass "hump" you mention translated to an increase in sub-bass, combating any signs of roll off in that department - increase in quantity increased the detail in the timbre in the low end, added some texture there, I don't mind.

I don't think I'd be willing to trade off 5% of the sound stage on these headphone, but I guess that's personal preference.

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #11,412 of 14,386

I don't think I'd be willing to trade off 5% of the sound stage on these headphone, but I guess that's personal preference.

if sound clarity, details and bass attack is better by 30-50% i think 5% loss in sound stage is reasonable ,
HE400i with stock pads for me is simply anemic, poor, not worthy headphone .

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #11,413 of 14,386

We cant really quantify 'soundstage' but its quite drastic. its enough to make me want to switch back to the focus pads. and yes the sound is slightly better if you consider the sub-bass and the bass, which have more texture to them. BUT the sparkly highs have diminished slightly IMO. and I feel that the 'depth' is definitely reduced, its not the same. but thats just my opinion, I've spent a good amount of time A/B ing them and this is what I've noticed. In the end it comes down to what kind of music you're listening to, really. 
If I'm listening to the eagles on DSD, I'd like to have the open soundstage and the treble of the focus pads. and if I'm listening to EDM/Spotify I like the sound that the Brainwavz offer. So its not set in stone which Pads are better. It's a matter of personal preference. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #11,414 of 14,386

if sound clarity, details and bass attack is better by 30-50% i think 5% loss in sound stage is reasonable ,
HE400i with stock pads for me is simply anemic, poor, not worthy headphone .

Clarity and Details? Really? I would like to disagree. I think you 'feel' the sound is more detailed because of the more restricted soundstage? because the sound feels closer to you. I tried my Fostex X00's right after the brainwavs 400i's. and the fostex were offering identical width and space. it was just appalling really. the 400i's on stock are a brilliant pair of headphones for my preferences. but then again each and every person has a slightly different opinion of what 'Good sound' is. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #11,415 of 14,386
Anybody interested in (Dekoni Premium Pads for Fostex TH-X00)
here how it fit and look :

Users who are viewing this thread

Back