Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 29, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #11,386 of 14,386
Thanks! I decided to go with the angled velour to start, as I needed to spend a bit more to get the Velcro for all 3 hd 600 cushions to have free shipping anyway.
I'll post my impressions afterwards!

I'm hoping I can also order the angled hybrid and flat either hybrid or suede, depending on info and swap them between the 3 headphones to really know.
Not certain that can be done due to stretching though?

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #11,387 of 14,386
  This is one reason I don't like the 2.5mm connector, its not as secure connection as the old SMC and to me does not last as long.

Well to be fair, many people did not like the old screw in connection, this was changed to the 2.5mm connection based on feedback to HifiMAN (not sure the feedback was to add the 2.5mm connection, but there was definitely plenty of negative feedback about the screw in connection).

I have the original HE400 as well as the 400i and I never had any problems at all with the screw connection, so I was fine with them. I'm also OK with the 2.5mm, they are definitely easier to connect and disconnect and if the cable is caught and pulled out they are must less likely to become damaged. How well they hold up over time I guess we will see. I rarely take the connectors out of my headphones though, so I expect for me they should hold up.

I noticed this trying out custom cables myself. If you look at the holes of the cups where the plug goes, you should note how the female 2.5mm is fastened onto the cup:
a threaded outer sheath goes into some sort of ring/nut that's probably held in place with a screwdriver (I expect the same on the inside to lock it). This ring is big enough to block whatever jack you are trying to insert at the butt-end, the bottom of the sleeve part.
It so happens to be that with my headphones, the ring and sheath on either side were sitting at different locked heights, so the left side it would be flush but not on the right. I think this might also be the case for you. For me, this caused a custom set of cables (2.5mm TS, not as long as stock) to just pop out on that one side. I suspect the little wedge on the female end isn't be able to catch under the tip and hold it in place.
I don't know how I'd fix this without taking out the drivers, any ideas?

Very interesting! No idea in suggesting a fix, I wonder if this is the case across the board or just with certain sets?

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #11,388 of 14,386
  Very interesting! No idea in suggesting a fix, I wonder if this is the case across the board or just with certain sets?

It's probably across the board, depending on who assembled it. I imagine the QC not having an item for the operator to check if the 2.5mm connections are both flush to their outside mounting ring, only a test if their TRS male connector fits and stays in. It makes sense to do it that way from a production standpoint to me.
If you and I both had a similar effect with the stock cable, this is probably the case.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #11,389 of 14,386
Apart from the magnificent sound quality, I must say I'm little disappointed noticing exclusion of a (basic) pouch/bag. It won't strike as an issue to many but I for one don't like my gears gather dust on them while they're sitting idle.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #11,390 of 14,386
Apart from the magnificent sound quality, I must say I'm little disappointed noticing exclusion of a (basic) pouch/bag. It won't strike as an issue to many but I for one don't like my gears gather dust on them while they're sitting idle.

I'm more concerned of the lack of a sticker.
But that's because I can use my AKG bag so you still have a point. :)

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #11,391 of 14,386

Wouldn't any towel or piece of cloth work for a cover if concern with dust?

I'm more concerned of the lack of a sticker.
But that's because I can use my AKG bag so you still have a point.
smily_headphones1.gif

What Sticker?

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #11,392 of 14,386
Just got the Brainwavz Angled pads. For me, the charm of these headphones is the openness. the pads do add something to the low end but they restrict the soundstage. so its quite a tradeoff. 

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #11,393 of 14,386
  Just got the Brainwavz Angled pads. For me, the charm of these headphones is the openness. the pads do add something to the low end but they restrict the soundstage. so its quite a tradeoff. 

Brainwavz pads  dont have perfect fit , and the effect on sound  is minimal
if you would like to take it to the next level try (Dekoni Premium Pads for Fostex TH-X00)
perfect fit like the original (exactly same size) , memory foam ,, leather almost like the Audeze leather
and the sound is much much much better :)

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #11,394 of 14,386
  Brainwavz pads  dont have perfect fit , and the effect on sound  is minimal
if you would like to take it to the next level try (Dekoni Premium Pads for Fostex TH-X00)
perfect fit like the original (exactly same size) , memory foam ,, leather almost like the Audeze leather
and the sound is much much much better :)

Damn, I wish someone had given me that advice prior to my purchase. People over here have been raving about the Brainwavs non-stop. Theres definitely a difference in the sound. just not a good one IMO. I gave it a few days of listening, just cant get used to the unnecessary bass hump and the narrow soundstage, so I've shifted back to the focus pads for the time being. 

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #11,397 of 14,386

I would have liked some kind of pouch, or even a drawstring bag, as well. They do sell a relatively inexpensive hard case for these. It keeps them safe and secure and dust free. You will need to remove the cables. I have the case for the 400, 400i, and 560. I wish they sold one for the HEK.

You can also take the foam out of the box that they came in and put them in there. Not as elegant, but it works.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #11,398 of 14,386
Just got the Brainwavz HM5 pleather angled pads for the 400i.  I was experimenting with the placement of the pads to see what if any effect that would have on bass, soundstage, etc.

To my delight and surprise, both of those characteristics improved for me with the fat/tall side facing to the front, or the earpads angled toward the back of the head.  YMMV but if you have these pads on the standard way (angled down to the front), a quick way to test this would be to flip your hifimans around (R pad on your L ear) to see if you hear any difference. 

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #11,399 of 14,386
  Wouldn't any towel or piece of cloth work for a cover if concern with dust?

What Sticker?

Exactly, no sticker. :frowning2: I was surprised and delighted to find an AKG sticker with my 712s, then looked in the 400i box to see if I missed it.

Thanks for the feedback, which material did you get?
  Just got the Brainwavz HM5 pleather angled pads for the 400i.  I was experimenting with the placement of the pads to see what if any effect that would have on bass, soundstage, etc.

To my delight and surprise, both of those characteristics improved for me with the fat/tall side facing to the front, or the earpads angled toward the back of the head.  YMMV but if you have these pads on the standard way (angled down to the front), a quick way to test this would be to flip your hifimans around (R pad on your L ear) to see if you hear any difference. 

Reversed hey? Good to know that simple method of seeing if there is an improvement the other way.

I also noticed on the Brainwavz website that the angled hybrid pads are slightly larger than the angled velour pads that I just ordered, does anyone know the dimensions of the hybrid angled or velour round?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back