Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 24, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #11,296 of 14,386
  I've ready a lot about durabilty issues with Hifiman can's.  Does the 400i suffer from any of these problems?

haven't had any problems with my HE-400, HE-400i and 2 HE-560's over 3 years now and none of my friends who have other Hifiman headphones has had any problems either.  But there are some who have had problems so hard to answer your question with any real data.

@spookanide, the treble of the HD-700 is a problem for some but most who don't try them on a decent tube amp don't get to appriciate them.  Many who get a HD-800 spend much time and effort to find an amp that pairs well but for some reason not many take the time and effort to find a good amp for the HD-700.  I have a few friends that like the HD-700 over the HD-800, HD-650 and HD-600, its all a matter of personal taste.

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #11,297 of 14,386
Well I just pulled the trigger,  they were on sale in the great white north and I just couldn't resist.  I hope its an improvement on my mk3's.  I love the planar sound.

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #11,298 of 14,386
I'm a little behind on this thread, however, I received my organza today and out it to use with the he400i.
I'm wondering if it seems thinner, to those who have used organza?
Thinking about doubling up but not sure.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #11,299 of 14,386
I'm a little behind on this thread, however, I received my organza today and out it to use with the he400i.
I'm wondering if it seems thinner, to those who have used organza?
Thinking about doubling up but not sure.

I guess it depends on the angle of the picture as well :p
Double up if the dust might be an issue and/or you might want to dampen up some more SQ-wise.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #11,301 of 14,386

I guess it depends on the angle of the picture as well :p
Double up if the dust might be an issue and/or you might want to dampen up some more SQ-wise.

I find it hard to notice the blue at any angle, though. :p
Might as well double up, easy enough to go back and forth!

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #11,302 of 14,386
  If you want to use one device for both speakers and headphones I would look at a Teac AI-301 or slightly cheaper AI-101.  I love my older AH-01 for just this purpose, it also has a remote and a sub-woofer output.  The headphone amp section is quite good, enough to drive my HE-560 which is not the easiest to drive properly.

I haven't used any dragonfly usb DAC/amps so I can't compare it to the Teac.  Tried some SMSL gear a few years ago but it didn't stand out as good or bad so really didn't research them.

The Vali2 is a solid amp and the ability to roll different tubes gives it a big advantage over the Magni IMO.  As for the sound becoming muddy or grainy it will depend on the tube used, its like my Lyr2 where the tubes play a large role in how the amp will sound with various headphones.

Thank you for your recommandation but the TEAC will not work with my active speakers unless it has a pre out and I can't find one on the pictures.

Tube amps which I find interessting are: Nobsound NS-08E, Little Dot I+ or Gemtune APPJ PA1502A (these 3 only with a dac for more connection options), SMSL T1, maybe schiit Vali 2

The Lyr 2 and Valhalla 2 are above my budget.

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #11,303 of 14,386
Really ive heard the opposite, i just bought a little dot i+ as its more versatile and i can upgrade things like the op amp for better clarity. I have not yet received it but the reason i bought it was because my objective 2 is a little too clinical and thin with these...so i guess it depends what you want as i think alot of people that call something muddy, others may call it warm. I could not imagine these being muddy though even with a poor source, i pushed the equalizer on the bass frequencies just atraight from my x3ii on these...its sounds insane and exceptionally clear. It was too much for normal listening and i find the bass just right for the most part but its fun to experiment...if you eq you can get alot of clean liquid bass from these if you are into that. Im sure there will be some grain with a tube amp but it depends what tubes you use, also its very subjective as some people call grain texture and find it appealing.

I was refering only to the Vali 2. I have read alot good things about matching the 400i with tube amps. I have no experiences with tube amps but I find it interessting what people tell about the tonality.

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #11,304 of 14,386
Hi,
I have the H400i's since a week and I'm looking for a desktop amp. Atm I have a Dragonfly v1.2 which is connected with my studio monitors. I'm looking now for something better which can handle the Hifiman and my speakers. I'm still uncertain what to do...should I buy only an amp or an amp and dac.The amps I favor are Magni Uber 2 and Lake People G 103s. Recommendations are welcome.

I have done alot of research until now (more than it's healthy :D ) and I remember that some folks mentioned that the Vali 2 and the 400i is not a good combo. They say the headphones will become grainy and muddy.

I have found this glowing review about an SMSL dac/hybrid amp: http://www.headfonia.com/review-smsl-a-surprise/

I wonder that the author was pleased driving the 400i directly from the amp because the amp seems to be quite weak. I thought they need alot of current. Do you think this works?

Greetings

I am using the Vali 2 w/ the DragonFly Red. I am using the Stock Tube with the Vali 2 set to high gain. It's a noticable improvement over the Red by itself. It's significantly more powerful and warms up the HE-400i a bit without losing detail. I have the Volume set between 9 & 10 o'clock on the Vali 2.

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #11,305 of 14,386

Thank you for your recommandation but the TEAC will not work with my active speakers unless it has a pre out and I can't find one on the pictures.

Tube amps which I find interessting are: Nobsound NS-08E, Little Dot I+ or Gemtune APPJ PA1502A (these 3 only with a dac for more connection options), SMSL T1, maybe schiit Vali 2

The Lyr 2 and Valhalla 2 are above my budget.

Okay, understand about the need for pre-out since you are using active speakers, the Teac will not work for you.

Of the amps you have listed I've only spent a little time with the LD 1+, it was quite good but IIRC it had updated op-amps and it was not the stock tubes so if going this route you might have to figure in the cost of new op-amps and tubes which will bring it close to the cost of some other great amps around $250 like the Polaris and higher priced than the Vali2.  Another DAC/amp combo that did quite well was a Aune T1 which has really gone up in price over the pass 2 years, used to be quite reasonable at $160.  My Ex GF and 2 other friends use it and they are quite happy with it but none use a HE-400i but it pairs well with HD-650, HD-600, K7XX, HD-700 and LCD-2 so it should be good with the HE-400i.

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #11,306 of 14,386
 I was refering only to the Vali 2. I have read alot good things about matching the 400i with tube amps. I have no experiences with tube amps but I find it interessting what people tell about the tonality.

Yes i understand you were referring to the vali 2, i meant that alot of people like the combo with the vali. Im sure it sounds very similiar to the little dot 1+ also a hybrid amp, i just found the LD more appealing due to more configuration options. The amp is supposed to be here monday and ill post impressions. I think alot of SS amps try to be clinical and nuetral and the objective 2 is no exception, i bought a tube amp on the basis of a more organic warm coloration. Im sure i will sacrifice some clarity and detail, but the 400i has plenty of detail to begin with and can be a bit much with the O2.

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #11,308 of 14,386
Hi again,

Replacing some broken HD650's with the 400is.

I need something that can take daily travel....pack 'em up in a backpack, take 'em out at a recording studio, put 'em away when the session's finished. I'm careful with my headphones but it was apparently too rough for the Senns. The cable connectors are shorting out. So, hello HiFiMan.

My main question - how well will the 400is perform with my little amp, the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII? Anyone tried that?

I won't need an amp at work - the studio provides pro amps - but at home I was hoping to enjoy these too.

Thanks

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #11,309 of 14,386
Hi again,

Replacing some broken HD650's with the 400is.

I need something that can take daily travel....pack 'em up in a backpack, take 'em out at a recording studio, put 'em away when the session's finished. I'm careful with my headphones but it was apparently too rough for the Senns. The cable connectors are shorting out. So, hello HiFiMan.

My main question - how well will the 400is perform with my little amp, the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII? Anyone tried that?

I won't need an amp at work - the studio provides pro amps - but at home I was hoping to enjoy these too.

Thanks

While the HE-400i looks a little more durable than the HD-650 I don't think it can take the daily grind that you will be subjecting them to.  The most rugged headphones I have are V-Moda XS, MDR-7506, ATH-M50x and Momentums, none are in the same sound category as the HE-400i but they are quite durable and aside from the Momentums can be folded to a compact size.

The Leckerton amp is quite interesting, did you do any changes to the op-amps?

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #11,310 of 14,386
  While the HE-400i looks a little more durable than the HD-650 I don't think it can take the daily grind that you will be subjecting them to.  The most rugged headphones I have are V-Moda XS, MDR-7506, ATH-M50x and Momentums, none are in the same sound category as the HE-400i but they are quite durable and aside from the Momentums can be folded to a compact size.

The Leckerton amp is quite interesting, did you do any changes to the op-amps?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, these won't be living room headphones. The Senns lasted about a year. I appreciate the other suggestions.

As for the Leckington, no changes. Using it just the way Nick sent it to me. I just got the 400is a few minutes ago, so I won't be able to try the Leckington until later this evening. But I'll let you know!

Interesting, though, about the 400is....they come to life with an amp!  When I got them I plugged them straight into my Nexus 6 - not enough gain, not much bass, not much of anything. So I tried them direct into my XPS. Again, not a whole lot of volume, hardly any bass. But then I remembered I had an 6-year old NuForce DAC, which cost maybe $30....tried it with the XPS and the 400is - and they opened right up! They sound phenomenal, with just that tiny little push.

So I'm really excited to try them with the Leckington!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back