Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jun 8, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #9,213 of 14,386
  I plan on doing the Grill mod tonight to my new 400i's anything I should know that I haven't read. I popped the grills off yesterday to do some listening.

Any reason I shouldn't do it?

it makes them brighter (on the older models it increased the soundstage a good bit, on the newer models I don't think it really does, as the removal of the metal support plate on the inside did away with the need for that).  Also overtime dust will accumulate on the drivers, which can lead to distortion.  For most people here that isn't an issue because they won't keep them for more than a year, but it is the reason why HiFiMan (like all headphone makers) puts the mesh behind the metal screen in the first place.

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #9,214 of 14,386
  I plan on doing the Grill mod tonight to my new 400i's anything I should know that I haven't read. I popped the grills off yesterday to do some listening.

Any reason I shouldn't do it?

I'm wondering the same thing. What does doing the mod exactly do? Increase treble even more? Reduce it? Increase bass?
Won't the driver become more prone to being damaged by dust?

While I only have experience with the older SMC connector version, the grill mod does help with sound stage, a little more airy sound and it get rid of some ringing that I heard with some tracks.  When I did the mod I used some silk organza to protect from dust, its finer than the stock material and more acoustically transparent:

HE-400i with grill mod, pink silk organza

HE-400 with gold grill and blue silk organza

HE-560 with grill mod, gold silk organza

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #9,215 of 14,386
So I am trying the OPPO PM-2 right now from the Demo Program here at head-fi and I have to tell you that I like my HE-400i better. I find the PM-2 to be way way way to rolled off on the high end, and the warm mids really flood me. But the biggest thing i did not like about it was that I never felt captured and moved by the music when listening on the PM-2. Voices sounded flat and non-realistic. Finally, it sounded the same no matter what amp I connected it to (solid state). A tube helped a bit but not much. The things that it does better than the HE-400i is that the low end is way more present and in control. The tight response of the low end and its presence are welcome in my world but not at the expense of the highs. Finally the build is amazing on the PM-2 but I again found the HE-400i more comfortable for long long listening sessions (I work all day with them on).

So if I had to rate my HE-400i i would say 7/10 where the last 3 points are about low end control and details and the rating for the PM-2 would be 5/10. With a price point at 200 bucks less, i would go with the 400i or buy something around 700 bucks that is not the PM-2.

Though i would share.

Jun 10, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #9,219 of 14,386
  If you convert them to Audio Zenith PMx2's they're magical.  

Did some reading about the Audio Zenith PMx2, after reading this review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-zenith-pmx2-headphone/reviews/13463 it seem like a very good headphone but the part where he does the comparison with the HD-650 and other headphones takes them out of consideration for me, due to price, weight and the ability for me to mod the HD-650/700/800.

Thanks for bringing them to my attention
beerchug.gif

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #9,220 of 14,386
The thing about the mod is that you have to buy the PM-2 for 700 and then the mod is another 700 putting it at 1400 or if you want to buy the modification and the headphones directly for 1400. That is a lot of money to spend on a modified headphone. I did get to hear these modified headphones at the local Albuquerque meet up and they sounded amazing. Truly beautiful. But in that price range you can get the TOLT from most of the companies. I just don't see the value on these or the modified ones either.

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #9,221 of 14,386
The thing about the mod is that you have to buy the PM-2 for 700 and then the mod is another 700 putting it at 1400 or if you want to buy the modification and the headphones directly for 1400. That is a lot of money to spend on a modified headphone. I did get to hear these modified headphones at the local Albuquerque meet up and they sounded amazing. Truly beautiful. But in that price range you can get the TOLT from most of the companies. I just don't see the value on these or the modified ones either.

Right. For the same price you're in an HD800S. Modified headphones also lose a lot of value if you ever sell.

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #9,223 of 14,386
Really wish I could open these headphones up. I got a dx80 and just playing it through that, but they sound veiled. Over 150 hrs of playback. I wonder if the hd700 are better... Or what can I do for clearer higher resolution sound. I sure miss my se846

Never really though the HE-400i was consider veiled but everyone hears differently.  I don't know much about the dx80 but they don't sound veiled with my X3ii to me.  Have you tried the HE-400i on different setups?  While they are fairly easy to drive they will benefit with better gear.  As for the HD-700, I like them better than the HE-400i, better sound stage, highs, detailed bass but a little recessed in the mids.  While I love mine its a love/hate headphone for many so suggest you try it first, and for some its the amp that makes the difference in the love/hate game.

Jun 13, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #9,225 of 14,386
Really wish I could open these headphones up. I got a dx80 and just playing it through that, but they sound veiled. Over 150 hrs of playback. I wonder if the hd700 are better... Or what can I do for clearer higher resolution sound. I sure miss my se846

Veiled, hard to think of the 400i sounding like that. I'm wondering if the more forward mids and fairly solid bass is a different signature than you are used to. Perhaps you just prefer a brighter signature in which case the HD 700 might appeal to you. The TH 600 also comes to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back