Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
May 15, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #8,956 of 14,386
Any cheap cables thst are better than the stock 400i cable? Reslly wanting to mod these thing anyway I can, what are some. Cups thst make it ever clear, and maybe improve bass. I feel thr bass is the weakest point of these cans

Try the Sorbothane mod, while I haven't done my HE-400i the Sorbothane makes a fairly large difference with my SennGrado's, really ups the sound quality.

May 15, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #8,958 of 14,386
I can't find info on thst Mod, plz help

maybe he's referring to this : http://www.head-fi.org/t/619447/hifiman-regrilling-mod/600#post_11756987 ?

May 15, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #8,959 of 14,386
I can't find info on thst Mod, plz help

Found this on the HE-400 thread but will work for HE-400i also

Performed the sorbothane mod today - used 6 pieces of 1/8" thickness 40 duro with 3M adhesive backing - each piece approximately 3 cm. May have used a bit too much - not sure at this point. No critical listening yet but there is a difference. No judgment yet but will post back with impressions. In the meantime, here are some pictures. Trickiest part was getting the grill retaining ring back in - seemed easier coming off if you remember where the tabs are (1:30, 4:30, 7:30, 10:30).

UPDATE:

After some critical listening, I settled on a bit less sorbothane and smaller pieces with space in between. See picture below. This mod does make a difference, is totally worthwhile and is completely reversible. After some more listening I can more accurately share my impressions.

You can read more, this is post #20898, there is more info before so go a few pages back from there to start reading

May 15, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #8,960 of 14,386
  Found this on the HE-400 thread but will work for HE-400i also

Performed the sorbothane mod today - used 6 pieces of 1/8" thickness 40 duro with 3M adhesive backing - each piece approximately 3 cm. May have used a bit too much - not sure at this point. No critical listening yet but there is a difference. No judgment yet but will post back with impressions. In the meantime, here are some pictures. Trickiest part was getting the grill retaining ring back in - seemed easier coming off if you remember where the tabs are (1:30, 4:30, 7:30, 10:30).

UPDATE:

After some critical listening, I settled on a bit less sorbothane and smaller pieces with space in between. See picture below. This mod does make a difference, is totally worthwhile and is completely reversible. After some more listening I can more accurately share my impressions.

You can read more, this is post #20898, there is more info before so go a few pages back from there to start reading

Wouldn't BluTack achieve the same results?  It's cheaper too. I have used it in other HP's. Thoughts?

May 15, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #8,961 of 14,386
  Wouldn't BluTack achieve the same results?  It's cheaper too. I have used it in other HP's. Thoughts?

I haven't tried Blutack, only Dynamat and Sorbothane, both really different in how they change / tune the sound an also where you would install them.

On my SennGrado, a 5-7mm ring of dynamat around the cup as close to the driver as possible makes the bass extend lower and with a bit more punch, the sorbothane is placed on the back of the driver and helps to clean up the entire FR.

If you check on the sorbothane, it comes in different thinkness and hardness ratings which I think plays a roll in how much effect it has.  I haven't done much experimenting with the sorbothane so its still a trial and error process.

May 15, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #8,963 of 14,386
  I need more explanation on this mod. You're tightening the seal between the headphones and ear pads to prevent resonance? 

Yes, I guess.  That was my use anyways.  I used the BluTack on a cheap pair of fairly nice sounding (for the money) pair of HPs. I used it around the weak framework supporting the drivers.  It also seemed to tame down the overly bright top end.  It was just something I toyed with for experience. 

May 15, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #8,964 of 14,386
  I need more explanation on this mod. You're tightening the seal between the headphones and ear pads to prevent resonance? 

The sorbothane does not do anything to the seal between the headphone and ear pad, that would be a jerg mod from the HE-560 thread.

The sorbothane changes the acoustic properties of the housing from what I've been reading about it.  It was first used by someone who wanted to mod a SR-009, might be able to do a search for sorbothane mod of SR-009.

May 15, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #8,965 of 14,386
  Yes, I guess.  That was my use anyways.  I used the BluTack on a cheap pair of fairly nice sounding (for the money) pair of HPs. I used it around the weak framework supporting the drivers.  It also seemed to tame down the overly bright top end.  It was just something I toyed with for experience. 

The sorbothane does not do anything to the seal between the headphone and ear pad, that would be a jerg mod from the HE-560 thread.

The sorbothane changes the acoustic properties of the housing from what I've been reading about it.  It was first used by someone who wanted to mod a SR-009, might be able to do a search for sorbothane mod of SR-009.

I've modded a few headphones (Grado, Fostex) and adding mass to dampen resonances made big differences, but I wasn't sure if this was the same intention. I'll search jerg and sorbothane. Thanks.

May 15, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #8,966 of 14,386

I've modded a few headphones (Grado, Fostex) and adding mass to dampen resonances made big differences, but I wasn't sure if this was the same intention. I'll search jerg and sorbothane. Thanks.

Go back to the link for the HE-400 thread that I had above, search from there as quite a few were doing the sorbothane mod for the HE-400 last year.

May 16, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #8,967 of 14,386

I would think you can easily over-dampen and actually cause a negative effect. I do find it curious given how real that risk is that I have only once read from a member who admitted the mods changed the sound signature for the worst in his case. I think it was a 560 being modded. Have you ever over-dampened and had to remove dampening material?

May 16, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #8,968 of 14,386
  I would think you can easily over-dampen and actually cause a negative effect. I do find it curious given how real that risk is that I have only once read from a member who admitted the mods changed the sound signature for the worst in his case. I think it was a 560 being modded. Have you ever over-dampened and had to remove dampening material?

You can over-dampen, found this out with the SennGrado, lined the entire inside of the cup with dynamat and the sound was lifeless.  With the sorbothane I haven't tried with my HE-400 or 400i yet but I might get to it soon.

May 16, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #8,969 of 14,386

Yes. I tried some BluTack around the perimeter inside the grills on my 400i's to try and add some bass. All it did was remove life!  So, back to stock. I did remove the grill cloth - and later replaced it with some organza. Purple!  Kinda matches the outer ring when the light hits it just right. 
smile.gif

May 16, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #8,970 of 14,386
  So, back to stock. I did remove the grill cloth - and later replaced it with some organza. Purple!  Kinda matches the outer ring when the light hits it just right. 
smile.gif

That would look awesome. I wonder how many people actually over-dampen their headphones, but due to expectation bias/thrill of the work don't really notice and just perceive the sound as better? I'm sure it happens, not sure how much mind you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back