Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Mar 28, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #8,221 of 14,386

Any suggestions on cables & plugs from Aliexpress which could be ordered in tomorrow's big sale, to custom made a new cable for HE-400i ?

I do not, but these look interesting...

Wire

Plugs at headphone side:

Plug 1

Plug 2

Now, when I measured where the plug would fit into the headphone, it looked like 8mm was the biggest that would fit. There should be other people here who have built cables for these headphones that would have better ideas on what would work. I too would like to know, as I want to build a new (less stiff) cable for myself.

Mar 28, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #8,222 of 14,386
  im saving up for a decent amp dac for the long run now. used o2 odac, REALLY REALLY loved that. that was like power house,  connect anything from 50ohm to 600ohm and it would not sweat. extremely clean.

will like to get advise from users here what to get. thinking of getting o2odac again, but may be there is something better for planars than that. Schiit U2 stack under my radar though.

this thread is alive, im sure i will get advise soon :D

I thought the O2 and Magni2 were both a touch harsh for the HE400i.  

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #8,223 of 14,386
  Has anyone gotten an upgrade in sound quality from a replacement cable costing less than $50? While I find the stock cable annoying b/c it's stiff and the right angle connector is silly, I can live with it and/or would rather just buy an extension cable than spend more than $50 (more than 30, really) on a new cable. 

I bought a VModa replacement cable for another pair of cans I own and honestly found them to improve the SQ. Placebo or not, it made me happy. That was around $20.

I checked out bluejeans and it looks like I'd be right around $50 for a 1/4" to dual 1/8" cable from them. 

I bought a lunashops cable for my IEMs awhile back and wasn't happy with the SQ, so I'm hesitant to try them again. 

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
nk

The stock cable of the HE-400i is one of the cables that made me learn how to build cables, the other being the HD-700.

1.  Never had upgrade in sound even with cables that cost $400, but this is just me, other may say otherwise, but as pointed out by another person my idea of a stock cable is a basic Canare, Mogami or Cardas cables which I have used to build my own due to length, microphonics, damage to original, kinking/tangle (HD-700) or even weight (SR-225e and RS2e).

2.  How long a cable are you looking for?  This affects the cost a lot for some cables.

3.  You can also look for HD-700 cables since they also use 2.5mm plugs.

4.  Lunashops stuff is hit or miss from my experience with cables and parts from them.

5.  Good time to learn how to solder, but as you said it might end badly so may be not
tongue.gif

im saving up for a decent amp dac for the long run now. used o2 odac, REALLY REALLY loved that. that was like power house,  connect anything from 50ohm to 600ohm and it would not sweat. extremely clean.

will like to get advise from users here what to get. thinking of getting o2odac again, but may be there is something better for planars than that. Schiit U2 stack under my radar though.

this thread is alive, im sure i will get advise soon :D

As @fjrabon noted the O2/ODAC was too bright/harsh sounding to me with the HE-400i, a little better with HD-650 since its not a bright headphone to begin with.  For a decent all-in-one solution I like my Teac AH-01, unfortunately they are no longer made, but the replacement AI-101DA looks like it would work and my Teac UD-301 also has a decent amp section that works quite well with the HE-400i and many of my other headphones.

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #8,225 of 14,386
  The stock cable of the HE-400i is one of the cables that made me learn how to build cables, the other being the HD-700.

1.  Never had upgrade in sound even with cables that cost $400, but this is just me, other may say otherwise, but as pointed out by another person my idea of a stock cable is a basic Canare, Mogami or Cardas cables which I have used to build my own due to length, microphonics, damage to original, kinking/tangle (HD-700) or even weight (SR-225e and RS2e).

2.  How long a cable are you looking for?  This affects the cost a lot for some cables.

3.  You can also look for HD-700 cables since they also use 2.5mm plugs.

4.  Lunashops stuff is hit or miss from my experience with cables and parts from them.

5.  Good time to learn how to solder, but as you said it might end badly so may be not
tongue.gif

2. 8 feet, give or take (2 meters would probably be fine)

3. Oh cool - thanks!

4. Yup.

5. Yup. Lol. 

Thanks!

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #8,226 of 14,386
  2. 8 feet, give or take (2 meters would probably be fine)

3. Oh cool - thanks!

4. Yup.

5. Yup. Lol. 

Thanks!

To give you an basic idea of what a cable cost me to build, parts only
10ft Mogami cable: $15-18
6.5mm Neutrik plug: $6
HD-700 2.5mm connectors: $15
heat shrink: <$1
solder/flux: <$1

optional:
splitter: $15 for nice carbon fiber one, $2 for simple wood one, $20 for nice exotic woods
paracord wrap: $5-$10

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #8,227 of 14,386
To give you an basic idea of what a cable cost me to build, parts only
10ft Mogami cable: $15-18
6.5mm Neutrik plug: $6
HD-700 2.5mm connectors: $15
heat shrink: <$1
solder/flux: <$1

optional:
splitter: $15 for nice carbon fiber one, $2 for simple wood one, $20 for nice exotic woods
paracord wrap: $5-$10

Yes, but how much to make my cable?

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #8,230 of 14,386
I'm finding the Asgard+Bifrost4490 quite enjoyable with the 400i. Others have said they enjoy the Modi Uber/Magni as well for well under your budget.

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #8,231 of 14,386
i am sure they will benefit from the detail of the AK chip and the warmth of the asgard 

Mar 30, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #8,232 of 14,386
I was listening to a led zepp drum solo and was simply amazed. On my DT770 it sounds muddy. I'm hearing all kinds of detail I've never heard before, ever.

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #8,233 of 14,386
  That isn't fun, find something to complain about already will you.

OK, seeing as you asked:wink:
There's a scratch up the metal part of the headband on the left (inside), like the screwdriver slipped or something when they were attaching the slide adjusters. Probably not big enough to affect the value if I ever want to sell them, but visible nevertheless. Can't imagine buying a pair of HE-1000 and them being scratched up!

Now on to the nitpicking. On the left side again, the earpiece swivel is a bit looser than on the right, which is quite stiff. Makes it a little awkward to adjust the fit while wearing them, hopefully the right will loosen up with use. Also, the headband adjuster has six stops on each side but doesn't click into place on the last stops. My head isn't huge so not really a problem.

That's about it. Can't fault the sound, which is the most important thing.

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #8,234 of 14,386

That's about it. Can't fault the sound, which is the most important thing.

Nonetheless, at least you put some effort into complaining. Doesn't that feel better? You're welcome.

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #8,235 of 14,386
Well, my cable bits came in... so I built one for the 400i, as I was tired of the stiff stock one.

It has the following bits.
  1. Mogami W2893 de-sheathed
  2. Rean 1/4" Phono Plug
  3. Switchcraft 2.5mm Mono Phono Plug
  4. Spare Rean 3.5mm outer casing standing in for a "Y" split.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back