Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Mar 27, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #8,206 of 14,386
  I ordered my 400i cans from Razordog. They arrived well-packaged and timely. No complaints.

That isn't fun, find something to complain about already will you.

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #8,208 of 14,386
i got mine about a month ago but was so so busy could not use them AT ALL. 
till  now i have listened to them for like only 1 hour max!

now i have some time and started listening to these. i have observed something. the sound they produce is too bass heavy. like a little too much ., especially the sub bass.

i knew they are sub bass heavy but didnt think these would be THIS heavy!

the mids are great. BUT

the thing is with electonic music, the mids are like vanished like gone because of that thumping bass. is it just me or is it something with 400i???

these are my first planars so dont know about these much. do these need burn in?

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #8,209 of 14,386
also one more thing. i currently dont have my O2 ODAC, which i have given away. im currently using my Fiio E18 amp/dac to run these. sound is loud enough, but is it enough for these 400i? 

what is the most appropriate source to power these? i mean whats the best amp/dac combo for these with which these shine the most? 

(pls dont name some $10000 amp/dac)

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #8,210 of 14,386
They sound great out of my Modi2/Vali2. I wouldn't refer to them as bass heavy at all. My Oppo PM-3 have more bass, and my Philips SHP9500 have more bass still. Yet, none would ever be considered a bassy headphone.

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #8,211 of 14,386
I agree, I listen to plenty of electronica from the 400i (not recently mind you) and for sure I would never call them bass heavy. They are quite good in the lower frequencies, but not bass heavy. My only guess is that the OP has had some less than adequate headphones in the past where bass is concerned. Just guessing as it is odd to hear the 400i described this way. Give it a week and see what you think. Not sure why the E18 might be responsible, but there might be at least some contribution on the E18 side to what you are hearing. Defeat any bass boost you may have been using.

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #8,213 of 14,386
Everyone's ear is different. Unlike speakers headphone can sound dramatically different to different individuals, due mostly to the shape of the ear, the lack of interaction of the body/surroundings affecting the sound reaching the ear.

In short it means headphone reviews can difficult to rely on beyond clarity and distortion.

I find the 400i pretty spot on, but think the bass is a bit anemic for my tastes, and I'm by no means a bass head.

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #8,214 of 14,386
Had my 400i for about seven weeks now. Primarily listen from macbook (spotify premium) through modi + mangi 2. Sometimes through iPhone either direct or with Fiio Q1. The more I listen to these, the more I like them. I have a *giant* head, and find them really comfortable with the stock pads, as well.

They're definitely not bass heavy, but the bass is really nice. It's present for sure, and it's tight and fast. You know, what you guys said :) 

Listening to the new Bob Mould right now and it's a really nice presentation, even if the mix of the album is a little odd to me (though same listening via other 'phones yesterday). These are great cans for most any kind of music I've thrown at them. 

Wondering about replacement cables. I did search the thread last night, and found some ideas here and there, but not an answer. So forgive me if I missed the info I'm looking for.

Has anyone gotten an upgrade in sound quality from a replacement cable costing less than $50? While I find the stock cable annoying b/c it's stiff and the right angle connector is silly, I can live with it and/or would rather just buy an extension cable than spend more than $50 (more than 30, really) on a new cable. 

I bought a VModa replacement cable for another pair of cans I own and honestly found them to improve the SQ. Placebo or not, it made me happy. That was around $20.

I checked out bluejeans and it looks like I'd be right around $50 for a 1/4" to dual 1/8" cable from them. 

I bought a lunashops cable for my IEMs awhile back and wasn't happy with the SQ, so I'm hesitant to try them again. 

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
nk

Mar 28, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #8,216 of 14,386
  Time to assemble parts and fire up the soldering iron.

That would not end well 
basshead.gif

Mar 28, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #8,217 of 14,386
may be i was unable to share my observations. 400i is not bass heavy, no. i said some part of songs get recessed. especially in electronic music and its more pronounced in trailer music.

im a sennheiser lover. i love that sennheiser dark veil. it just makes everything so natural.

ok here download this song. its a trailer music song. download it. its an uncompressed WAV file with PCM codec, very high bit rate.

https://soundcloud.com/sonsofpythagoras/xxl009-03-join-the-fightwav?in=sonsofpythagoras/sets/fate-of-a-nation-sons-of-pythagoras

now there is this industry music feel to this, and there is this buzz sound like 'zzzzzzzzzzzzzz' (dont know what you call this xD )

i clearly remember this is clearly audible with my HD 650 on O2 ODAC, but it gets recessed with 400i. NO there is no bass boost or any other equalizer setting in my Foober2000 or windows also not on my Fiio E18, there is one button  but i keep it off. but YES i do keep on the Gain switch on it, because other wise, 400i  does not sound loud. 

pls observe it if you have any other headphone with you, especially sennheiser one. 

and you guys didnt reply my question, DO THESE 400i NEED BURN IN FOR BETTER PERFORMANCE?
also, WHAT IS BETTER COMBO TO POWER THESE? IS MY E18 ENOUGH FOR THESE?

but seriously do check this song i put link to and share what u found.

Mar 28, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #8,219 of 14,386
I don't really subscribe to burn in on headphones but my brain certainly needed to adjust to the sound a bit. However, my problem was more that I found the highs too sharp for my ears. Even after a lot of use I still find the treble to be harsh at times.

Everything else is really special for my needs. I wish I could find a closed back headphone with a similar signature that I could use in the office.

As for amps I'm still looking for one myself but I've read the Gustard H10 and Garage1217 Ember are two strong contenders.

may be i was unable to share my observations. 400i is not bass heavy, no. i said some part of songs get recessed. especially in electronic music and its more pronounced in trailer music.

im a sennheiser lover. i love that sennheiser dark veil. it just makes everything so natural.

ok here download this song. its a trailer music song. download it. its an uncompressed WAV file with PCM codec, very high bit rate.

https://soundcloud.com/sonsofpythagoras/xxl009-03-join-the-fightwav?in=sonsofpythagoras/sets/fate-of-a-nation-sons-of-pythagoras

now there is this industry music feel to this, and there is this buzz sound like 'zzzzzzzzzzzzzz' (dont know what you call this xD )

i clearly remember this is clearly audible with my HD 650 on O2 ODAC, but it gets recessed with 400i. NO there is no bass boost or any other equalizer setting in my Foober2000 or windows also not on my Fiio E18, there is one button  but i keep it off. but YES i do keep on the Gain switch on it, because other wise, 400i  does not sound loud. 

pls observe it if you have any other headphone with you, especially sennheiser one. 

and you guys didnt reply my question, DO THESE 400i NEED BURN IN FOR BETTER PERFORMANCE?
also, WHAT IS BETTER COMBO TO POWER THESE? IS MY E18 ENOUGH FOR THESE?

but seriously do check this song i put link to and share what u found.

Mar 28, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #8,220 of 14,386
I don't really subscribe to burn in on headphones but my brain certainly needed to adjust to the sound a bit. However, my problem was more that I found the highs too sharp for my ears. Even after a lot of use I still find the treble to be harsh at times.

Everything else is really special for my needs. I wish I could find a closed back headphone with a similar signature that I could use in the office.

As for amps I'm still looking for one myself but I've read the Gustard H10 and Garage1217 Ember are two strong contenders.

im saving up for a decent amp dac for the long run now. used o2 odac, REALLY REALLY loved that. that was like power house,  connect anything from 50ohm to 600ohm and it would not sweat. extremely clean.

will like to get advise from users here what to get. thinking of getting o2odac again, but may be there is something better for planars than that. Schiit U2 stack under my radar though.

this thread is alive, im sure i will get advise soon :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back