Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Mar 11, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #8,026 of 14,386

Ya I really like the idea of EQing. I guess I am just a little lazy right now. I run a business on Amazon while being a full time college student and also take care of my 1 year old most days so finding the time to learn is really hard to do right now! lol So that is why I was trying to have the machines do the work for me :wink:

problem is that figuring out how individual amp/headphone combinations affect frequency response  is way more work than just figuring out EQ one time.  Especially because a given amp won't affect the frequency response of one headphone the same way as a different headphone.  The HE400i, in particular, is resistant to amps changing the frequency response because its impedance curve is ruler flat.  If your need is simplicity, EQ is the way to go, rather than chasing "amp synergy"

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #8,028 of 14,386
problem is that figuring out how individual amp/headphone combinations affect frequency response  is way more work than just figuring out EQ one time.  Especially because a given amp won't affect the frequency response of one headphone the same way as a different headphone.  The HE400i, in particular, is resistant to amps changing the frequency response because its impedance curve is ruler flat.  If your need is simplicity, EQ is the way to go, rather than chasing "amp synergy"

So what would be recommendations for equalizing strictly with streaming. I Am pretty fond of Spotify. I have tried Tidal, but man...$25 a month is pretty steep! Lol

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #8,029 of 14,386
So what would be recommendations for equalizing strictly with streaming. I Am pretty fond of Spotify. I have tried Tidal, but man...$25 a month is pretty steep! Lol

I have Tidal at $9.99/month and even at 320 AAC it sounds stupidly good. I had the Flac streaming at first, switched down, didn't hear a difference so paying $25 seems wasteful and unnecessary as well.

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #8,030 of 14,386
So has anyone had the Oppo PM-3 or the Bowers & Wilkins P7 to compare the 400i? Looking to get a set of closed cans. I currently have the M50X's and they are a little too bright for me, kinda like the 400i's but even more, so I am trying to find an incredibly clear headphone that still has some bass, but no sharpness....I know, I'm asking too much! lol Thanks :wink:

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #8,031 of 14,386
Again, i havent heard either of them, only the magni 2 with the 400i and for my taste it was a tad bright, but very enjoyable :)

I also have this setup (m2 & 400i) and actually wish it was a little brighter, or had more treble sparkle, or what have you. But just a little. Also find it very enjoyable. 

Mar 11, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #8,033 of 14,386

I own the 400i now. I had the PM-3 for two weeks, and I've used the P7 for maybe two hours total over a couple of sessions (friend at my old office had them). So my $.02 is kinda limited, but ... I prefer the 400i to both of the others. Better across the entire frequency spectrum than both of the others, and certainly a little brighter in the treble, but without being harsh. The PM-3 I only played through my iPhone and MacBook, not through an external amp or dac, so do with that info what you will - I've heard they sound much better with a better source chain. I found them to be quick and clear and detailed but lacking in the upper mids and high end. The PM7 I liked okay, but to me they lacked a depth I wanted. 

The 400i hasn't blown my socks off like I was hoping it would (I mean, we all hope that for every piece of new gear, right?) ... but I really enjoy it and think it's objectively quite good. Detail, good detail, good extension and balance on both lower and upper frequencies, and all that good stuff. I've listened to them mainly through a schiit stack, but tried them direct from an iPad an they still sounded quite nice. 

Mar 11, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #8,034 of 14,386
  So has anyone had the Oppo PM-3 or the Bowers & Wilkins P7 to compare the 400i? Looking to get a set of closed cans. I currently have the M50X's and they are a little too bright for me, kinda like the 400i's but even more, so I am trying to find an incredibly clear headphone that still has some bass, but no sharpness....I know, I'm asking too much! lol Thanks :wink:

I owned the PM3 and 400i at the same time. Prefer the 400i as mentioned above, it is better across the board, but they serve different purposes so a direct comparison seems problematic. The PM3 will have more bass, but the quality of the 400i bass is better, but of lesser amount. The PM3 is very easy to drive, the 400i less so. The 400i could seem bright to some people, the PM3 might seem dull treble wise to some people. So, I think the 400i will get you where you want, not the PM3. If you found the 400i a tad bright, which is possible, it would be very easy to do a gentle EQ cut to tame the treble. Many think the 400i treble is the perfect balance of extension/intensity while remaining fatigue free. I tend to fall into that camp myself. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mar 11, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #8,035 of 14,386

So can you tell a marked improvement over Spotify Premium then?

I don't have Spotify premium, but my friend who has both feels Tidal sounds better.

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #8,037 of 14,386

Re the Oppo PM-3, read Bob Katz' recent review on Inner Fidelity. He gushes over them. in contrast, he made short work of dismissing most of the rest of the "best of mid-range" headphones that Tyll sent him about a month ago (which is apparently how he first heard the PM-3), and 3-6 months ago or so was also not too impressed with most of the TOTL >$1000 cans either.

That's not to say you (or anybody) will necessarily like what Bob Katz likes.

But Tyll likes them too. Has them on his Wall of Fame. And Tyll definitely does not personally like cans that emphasize the high end.

(I have and listen to both the 400i and the PM-3 regularly. But I don't claim to have sophisticated hearing/listening skills.) 

HTH

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #8,039 of 14,386
All this harsh treble talk :)  My original DAC(Amp also) is my Micca Origen, which uses the CS4392 chip.  I used this as a DAC only into my Little Dot and I didn't find the treble harsh at all. It was very smooth and laid back.  I took that to work to drive my V-Moda M100s.  I find that combo pretty damn nice. 

I recently bought a HiFiMeDiy UX1, which uses a ES9023 chip and I'm finding that the treble gets harsh at times with the same cans and amp.  However, I'm finding it more detailed up in that region as well.  This DAC also makes my X2s sound harsh up top.  I can feel the treble in my throat sometimes lol.  Given that, I still think the UX1 is a steal at that price.  I paid around $68 shipped from China.  It also has a little amp section also, which isn't bad, but it distorts when you get past 60% or so volume in Windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back