Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Mar 6, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #7,997 of 14,386
I know this is all off topic, but with the stock cable (on the updated 400i) only have 2 conductors per side, then they can't be balanced? I admit, I know little to nothing about balanced cables anyway. I've not had a need, since I haven't had a product that would allow me to utilize a balanced cable. Now, I'm referencing the stock cable, not the headphone.

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #7,998 of 14,386
  I know this is all off topic, but with the stock cable (on the updated 400i) only have 2 conductors per side, then they can't be balanced? I admit, I know little to nothing about balanced cables anyway. I've not had a need, since I haven't had a product that would allow me to utilize a balanced cable. Now, I'm referencing the stock cable, not the headphone.

This is what a friend sent to me when I asked: http://www.headphone.com/pages/balanced-headphones-guide

PS: not all of it makes sense to me but there is a note that the wires need 4 conductors for headphones.  The 3 conductor one you are thinking of seems to be used between gear like pre-amp/DAC and amp where they use two cables, left and right.

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #8,000 of 14,386
@NoOneLt, welcome
beerchug.gif

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #8,004 of 14,386
I'm still on burn-in volumes but i don't feel 400i lacks any, of course a tiny bit dull (tiny bit, maybe if A/B directly it would be more noticeable but i sold T90 already) against T90, but i was after it. Don't take my words very serious, i am average listener :)

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #8,005 of 14,386
  I'm still on burn-in volumes but i don't feel 400i lacks any, of course a tiny bit dull (tiny bit, maybe if A/B directly it would be more noticeable but i sold T90 already) against T90, but i was after it. Don't take my words very serious, i am average listener :)

I think there are many headphones that will be "a tiny bit dull" compared to T-90
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #8,006 of 14,386
Yeah :) But it does not mean they are less detailed, i really don't feel lack of detail on 400i, maybe they need a bit more volume to hear same detail level as T90, but thats only because of T90 peaks. And 400i really seems more balanced, more like my DT250 but more open and better lows to my ears. Or maybe 400i just more universal, forgiving, etc...

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #8,007 of 14,386
Yeah
smily_headphones1.gif
But it does not mean they are less detailed, i really don't feel lack of detail on 400i, maybe they need a bit more volume to hear same detail level as T90, but thats only because of T90 peaks. And 400i really seems more balanced, more like my DT250 but more open and better lows to my ears. Or maybe 400i just more universal, forgiving, etc...

I was making a joke about the T90 being bright.  I agree the HE-400i is detailed and more balanced than the T90.

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #8,008 of 14,386
Yeah i got it :) Ant there are not many indeed :D

BTW, any point to upgrade stock cable? Any reasonable priced cables outhere that makes difference? 

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #8,009 of 14,386
  Yeah i got it :) Ant there are not many indeed :D

BTW, any point to upgrade stock cable? Any reasonable priced cables outhere that makes difference? 

most people who've upgraded the cable did so for practical reasons (stock cable was some combination of: too short, didn't want a right angle, too stiff).  by all accounts the stock cable is very good on just pure sound.  I have tried 3-4 aftermarket cables on mine and didn't think any gave an appreciable improvement in sound quality.

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #8,010 of 14,386
Hey guys. So I got these a couple of weeks ago. The clarity in these things are incredible! So I'm coming from some HD 598's and M50x's. I've tried out the HD 650's and I have the 400s on order. The reason my search may continue is that the 400i's can be a little too forward and bright for me. I have a sensitive left ear from a couple of craniotomies. The 650's were a little to veiled for me. From what I've read the 400s is a little more rolled off than the I's. Sorry this is a little scattered. I'm strictly a streamer. Tidal and Spotify. I currently have the Fiio Q1 and it drives all my cans with enough power. But I only listen from my Mac and iPhone 6s Plus. I guess I'm looking for some recommendations for some headphones that are quite as bright. I'm also in the market for an upgrade of my M50x's. This doesn't have to be just one set of cans, it can be open and closed recommendations . I was considering getting the Magni/Modi set up? Ultimately, I would love to have the clarity that I found in the 400i's, but a little bit warmer and no siblence. Again, I'm sorry that this is a little scattered, but I really appreciate the replies! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back