Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 19, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #7,801 of 14,386
  To my older ears the 650 was too rolled off, but I suspect you might like it. The Sony Z7 comes to mind also.

For the most part, I'm done with closed headphones unless they are used for portable/traveling usage. I had the Enigmas, and they were pretty awesome but nothing beats a good ole pair of open backed cans I think.

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #7,802 of 14,386
I have a old version of the 400i and i noticed with my he400i that when i screw on the left connector while holding the gold support, the black plastic underneath the gold peace started to twist easey. does this mean that i can sever the wires if i twist it by accident? can this be fixed? Will this be covered under warranty? 

Feb 20, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #7,806 of 14,386
  I have a old version of the 400i and i noticed with my he400i that when i screw on the left connector while holding the gold support, the black plastic underneath the gold peace started to twist easey. does this mean that i can sever the wires if i twist it by accident? can this be fixed? Will this be covered under warranty? 

Possible, if those are the original cables you might want to contact Hifiman, they may be replaced under warranty, can hurt to ask.  If not, try some super glue to lock the plastic to the metal so that it prevents the twisting.

I'm sorry 400i, but you have been replaced by DT990 PRO. Airyness and bass wins for me. Was a good run. :)

I'd be one to disagree, since the 990 stabbed my ears with needles and pins when I demoed it.

400i FTW

I like both, no winner or loser, fairly different sounding.

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #7,808 of 14,386
Feb 20, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #7,809 of 14,386
Any recommendations on balance cables for the 400i?

I have French Silk Q cables, now sold through BTG Audio. They're prettty nice, and its 4 pin to 3pin XLR and I have an adapter for the Hifiman connectors and another to use it with 1/4" jacks. Unfortunately I still don't have the balanced amp I was gonna use them with. The cables are a tad microphonic though, they could do better in this area. They are very flexible and and hassle-free though.

Edit: I have all the adapters I have so that I can use it with balanced or unbalanced, and can also use it with my ZMF Blackwood

Feb 20, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #7,810 of 14,386
I'd be one to disagree, since the 990 stabbed my ears with needles and pins when I demoed it.

400i FTW

I have only myself heard the DT 990 once, but I was really unimpressed, surprised as I loved the DT 880. Now, it has been at least three years since I owned the 880s so perhaps now they would not sound as good to my ears. Regardless, I found the 990s like you somewhat punishing and the bass was well, kind of weak and washed out. This was driven through a Schiit Rag and Yggy stack so I'm quite sure it had nothing to do with those factors.

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #7,811 of 14,386
Any recommendations on balance cables for the 400i?

I strongly suggest you compare prices and give PETEREK a look. His work is awesome and fairly priced as opposed to others.

Here's a link to some of his mods and cable work
http://www.head-fi.org/t/779584/peterek-formerly-ccaspertfg-mod-cable-thread

And a link to contact him
https://www.etsy.com/shop/cCasper...

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #7,812 of 14,386
I strongly suggest you compare prices and give PETEREK a look. His work is awesome and fairly priced as opposed to others.

Here's a link to some of his mods and cable work
http://www.head-fi.org/t/779584/peterek-formerly-ccaspertfg-mod-cable-thread

And a link to contact him
https://www.etsy.com/shop/cCasper...

Also highly recommended for both cables and someone to do after market mods...

He does great work.

Feb 20, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #7,813 of 14,386
These headphones sound good. I'm listening to them direct from my phone and they still sound really good. They're really suited to well-produced hip hop and r&b.

Just wanted to say. Cool beans, man.

Feb 20, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #7,815 of 14,386
Im too hesitant to use my headphonea when excercising because i don't want to accidentally rip the cables straight off my headphones due to sudden large movements. Also getting sweat all over them is just plain disgusting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back