Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 30, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #7,381 of 14,386
The 400i's bass is not what I would call heavy in any sense of the word.  It is clinical in my opinion.

I was concerned that there was not enough bass but decided to listen to a larger variety of tracks.  After putting it through the following albums I was a convert:

Lorde Heroine
Beastie Boys Paul's Boutique
Also Sprach Zarathustra - Karajan's 1973 performance
Bach Organ works - random selection
Saint-Saen's 3rd Symphony - Ormandy/Philadelphia

All demonstrate the 400i is capable of bass that goes very deep indeed and achieves the appropriate balance, if perhaps slightly on the lean side.

I would also  point out that vocals are insanely great - Solti's Ring cycle was listened to for the past week and the clarity and lifelike reproduction operatic voice is impressive. 

So my advice is to give a thorough listen to a wide variety of music and see what you think.  I do find it a bit lean for my tastes with rock - there's a certain lack of slam in my opinion, but the plusses outweigh the minuses for me.

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #7,382 of 14,386
  The 400i's bass is not what I would call heavy in any sense of the word.  It is clinical in my opinion.

I was concerned that there was not enough bass but decided to listen to a larger variety of tracks.  After putting it through the following albums I was a convert:

Lorde Heroine

All demonstrate the 400i is capable of bass that goes very deep indeed and achieves the appropriate balance, if perhaps slightly on the lean side.

I would also  point out that vocals are insanely great - Solti's Ring cycle was listened to for the past week and the clarity and lifelike reproduction operatic voice is impressive. 

So my advice is to give a thorough listen to a wide variety of music and see what you think.  I do find it a bit lean for my tastes with rock - there's a certain lack of slam in my opinion, but the plusses outweigh the minuses for me.

Agree. Its playback of organ is quite amazing. In my opinion organ recordings are very difficult to get a satisfying result through headphones. You need to have a good dynamic and soundstage, as well as good bass and treble. 400i did a pretty good job when I am listening to Bach and Reger. It also works well on Mahler.

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #7,383 of 14,386
@alex0727    And I would like to add that to make sure you have enough hours on your 400i's.  HiFiMAN recommends 150 hrs break-in time.  You said you've only had your 400i's for 2 wks.

When I first received mine, I was disappointed with the bass too.  They also seemed overly bright.  (probably from lack of some bass)  I listened to them for a couple hrs with some of my favorite tracks and then later in the evening I connected them up to a receiver and let them play FM for 5 days, I think.  Day and night.  

When I tried them again, the bass was much improved.  And they weren't as bright sounding.  I don't think it was all in my head cause I didn't touch them for those few days at all.  I am now very happy with their bass response.  So, I'd suggest, give them some time.

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #7,384 of 14,386
I'm using the new Focus-A pads on these. It seems like a subtle enhancement.

Is that safe to say that this change is indeed subtle, or did I just not spend enough time with these with the stock pads?

Also: would people agree that (even with the Focus-A) pads, these are neutral? I want to use these as a personal benchmark for neutrality when I compare other headphones.

Thanks!

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #7,385 of 14,386
@alex0727    And I would like to add that to make sure you have enough hours on your 400i's.  HiFiMAN recommends 150 hrs break-in time.  You said you've only had your 400i's for 2 wks.

When I first received mine, I was disappointed with the bass too.  They also seemed overly bright.  (probably from lack of some bass)  I listened to them for a couple hrs with some of my favorite tracks and then later in the evening I connected them up to a receiver and let them play FM for 5 days, I think.  Day and night.  

When I tried them again, the bass was much improved.  And they weren't as bright sounding.  I don't think it was all in my head cause I didn't touch them for those few days at all.  I am now very happy with their bass response.  So, I'd suggest, give them some time.

Ahh! I don't have 150 hours on these yet, so maybe this will resolve itself.

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #7,386 of 14,386
I'm using the new Focus-A pads on these. It seems like a subtle enhancement.

Is that safe to say that this change is indeed subtle, or did I just not spend enough time with these with the stock pads?

Also: would people agree that (even with the Focus-A) pads, these are neutral? I want to use these as a personal benchmark for neutrality when I compare other headphones.

Thanks!

If you ask 30 people what neutral is, you'll get 30 different answers. I think they're very neutral, but I've seen people call them warm and I've seen people call them bright.

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #7,387 of 14,386

Lorde Heroine

Crimguy, I will certainly try out my phones on these music pieces.

Jan 30, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #7,388 of 14,386

You're right, I hardly have 150 hours of break-in. But if i'm not mistaken, breaking-in is more peculiar to dynamics, than planars. 
Nevertheless, thank you for your idea. My phones also seem to me bass-lacking and a little bit bright now. If not headphones, my brain will certainly break-in in 150 hours..)

Have an idea to test it with an amp, at least for an experiment. A good cause to pay a visit to the shop.

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #7,389 of 14,386
^ Make sure you aren't wearing glasses as breaking the pad seal won't help bass response. And yes, give these time, they have pretty solid bass and I'm a basshead lite. I would never sacrifice good quality bass simply to have more bass, but I prefer a slightly bass accented headphone. I have PM3, had TH 900, Z7, D7000 and DT 770, so I have had some more bass centric signatures in the past and I think the 400i is quite solid. Give them some time (not burn-in time) just time for your brain to get used to the change. Are you coming from dynamic headphones and this is your first planar? If so for sure time will really help. Planar's present bass with a little less impact, but almost as a rule, a properly done planar will have very tactile and fast bass. You may give up some slam, but you gain in other areas so it all depends what floats your bass boat.

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #7,392 of 14,386
^ Not sure what to say, but I have perceived a drop in bass with my glasses (the arms) under the pads. The drop isn't as dramatic as with my PM3, but it is certainly a drop.

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #7,393 of 14,386

Thank you for your answer. I'm used to listen on low/medium volume (Though on these cans i started listening a little bit loader than usual). 
When I was searching for the cans to buy, I had a chance to try a few headphones in the shop. Oppo PM2 seemed to me the most interesting.
Unfortunately, there was no Hifimans at that moment to compare them directly.
Oppo's bass was very pleasant to my taste (powerful, but not overwhelming). I liked its planar sound and was sure that HE400i (that should have similar sound) won't be far behind from it.
Btw the source was - OPPO HA-1, maybe that matters.

My HA-1 has to work to power the 400i's to normal levels (near full power on low gain), but I haven't noticed any lack of bass.

Just another data point, fwiw.

ETA: And I wear glasses.

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #7,394 of 14,386
I definitely did not notice a lack of bass with my 400i. I wouldn't say I'm a basshead, but I appreciate my share of it especially for a couple of genres that I listen to. Half the time, I power it with my Cayin C5, which has plenty of power especially for a portable amp.

However, to me, the 400i is pretty darn neutral and leans almost towards being bright due to my experiences with past cans, which include many dark and warm headphones such as the Enigmas, ZMF Blackwoods, and Momentums. I might get the Focus-A pads just to warm them up a tad since I enjoy the sound sig but prefer a little bit of a warmer sound due to my treble sensitivity.

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #7,395 of 14,386
  However, to me, the 400i is pretty darn neutral and leans almost towards being bright due to my experiences with past cans, which include many dark and warm headphones such as the Enigmas, ZMF Blackwoods, and Momentums.

The Momentums are definitely dark/warm sounding to my ears.  Too much so.  My pair is still new, and I'm hoping they open up some.

I haven't dipped my toes in high-end yet, but it's feeling like I may have stumbled on the perfect cans for me in the 400i's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back