Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 26, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #7,322 of 14,386
Has anyone tried wa6se or mjolnir 2 with this headphone?

Have the Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2 Uber stack. I can say they sound awesome. I have had them for two weeks now so they are burned in pretty good. Now that they are everything sounds "outside" my head. Sometimes I look around to see if it is coming from somewhere else. They sound so good with this set up I'm sure they would sound good with the Mjolnir 2. I read they changed the driver a little on the headphones. Backing plate I think. I can see the drivers clearly through the grills and pads on mine. Whatever they done,they are impressive. They are worth the money I spent and I'm a very practical person. I was on the fence for over a year about which ones to buy. Audeze LCD 2 or 400i. But not having a 1000 plus Hifiman had them at 200 off at the beginning of the year, I pulled the trigger. I'm sure they would sound awesome on a more awesome dac and amp combo. They really show the quality of the equipment one uses. I plugged them into my ZXR sound card and while they still sounded good, the stack really "opened" them up so to speak. Better dac chip and amp would make them even better I'm sure. I have a pair of HDJ-2000s and the difference is daylight and dark. The 400i is more detailed. Almost like stereo through AM compared to stereo through FM. The 400i sound like a speaker, tweeter and woofer. While the HDJ-2000 sounds like you are listen through a closed in box with one speaker. Hard to describe but I'm trying. I don't think you would be disappointed with them connected to anything especially the high end Schiit products.

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #7,323 of 14,386
  Would any of you that did the grill mod be kind enough to cut me some grills for a small fee? (or free? 
biggrin.gif
)

It really is very simple to do. The hardest part is being careful when removing the retaining ring that holds the grill in. Just get a wire mesh paper tray and use the stock grills as a template. I think it took me about a half an hour start to finish, and I'm not someone who does much modding at all.

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #7,324 of 14,386
I've already removed the ring a few times to see inside, that isn't the problem for me. I just don't have all the proper tools for cutting and whatnot.

Am I at risk if the grill accidentally stuck to the magnetic driver for a split second? Kind of got sucked in the first time I removed it.

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #7,325 of 14,386
I've already removed the ring a few times to see inside, that isn't the problem for me. I just don't have all the proper tools for cutting and whatnot.

Am I at risk if the grill accidentally stuck to the magnetic driver for a split second? Kind of got sucked in the first time I removed it.

You're fine.

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #7,326 of 14,386

Lol same thing happened to me. Those magnets are a lot stronger than I anticipated.

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #7,327 of 14,386

I'd assume some tin snips or metal cutting shears from Home Depot would work just fine.

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #7,328 of 14,386
Hmmm since the Massdrop for the m9xx is about to end, I have a pretty expensive decision to make. I just discovered the Polaris on this thread, and it seems to be very popular. Obviously I would still need a DAC with the Polaris, but I feel like it would still be a little bit cheaper than the m9xx. Anybody have any opinions comparing these two?

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #7,330 of 14,386
Yea I'm definitely not going with the Schiit stack for what it's worth since I would probably go with the Asgard. At $250, I've seen several recommendations for amps that seem to be better than the Asgard such as the Polaris. It seems as though the Polaris has gotten some nice reviews across the head-fi board, so I was just wondering.

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #7,331 of 14,386
Now that my Magni/Modi Uber stack is gone, I need a new amp/dac.  Been considering the m9xx, but I'm not sure the extra money would really make a noticeable difference. 

Now I'm thinking about the Audio-gd NFB 10.33 (Link).  Has a ton of power and can do balanced.  Possibly my end game setup?  The all in one footprint would be nice so I could transport between my desktop and entertainment center.

What do you guys think?

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #7,332 of 14,386
  Now that my Magni/Modi Uber stack is gone, I need a new amp/dac.  Been considering the m9xx, but I'm not sure the extra money would really make a noticeable difference. 

Now I'm thinking about the Audio-gd NFB 10.33 (Link).  Has a ton of power and can do balanced.  Possibly my end game setup?  The all in one footprint would be nice so I could transport between my desktop and entertainment center.

What do you guys think?

I dont personally know the 10.33, but i run my HE-400i balanced on a NFB-1AMP and am very happy with the performance.
DAC used is a NFB 1.32 (former version of the NFB-1).
This combo is also available as a "one box solution" , see http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB282016/NFB282016EN.htm

This one uses the Sabre chip, dont know how the WM8741 performs.
But from what i read the Sabre is the more neutral one (on some implementations some called it a bit bright).

For me it was a noticable step up from the Magni-2 + Micromega MyDAC i had before.

I also use a C-10 power-amp connected to the NFB-1AMP outputs to drive my speakers and am very pleased.

Imho Audio-GD has a really good price/performance ratio, and the 10 year repair warranty (transferable to next owner) is also very nice.

Only thing that some might not like is that they are very neutral (to my ears), but that depends on preference.

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #7,333 of 14,386
  Now that my Magni/Modi Uber stack is gone, I need a new amp/dac.   
What do you guys think?

FiiO "Stereo 50" AMP/DAC with speakers & cans of choice.

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #7,334 of 14,386

I dont personally know the 10.33, but i run my HE-400i balanced on a NFB-1AMP and am very happy with the performance.
DAC used is a NFB 1.32 (former version of the NFB-1).
This combo is also available as a "one box solution" , see http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB282016/NFB282016EN.htm

This one uses the Sabre chip, dont know how the WM8741 performs.
But from what i read the Sabre is the more neutral one (on some implementations some called it a bit bright).

For me it was a noticable step up from the Magni-2 + Micromega MyDAC i had before.

I also use a C-10 power-amp connected to the NFB-1AMP outputs to drive my speakers and am very pleased.

Imho Audio-GD has a really good price/performance ratio, and the 10 year repair warranty (transferable to next owner) is also very nice.

Only thing that some might not like is that they are very neutral (to my ears), but that depends on preference.

The WM8741 isn't regarded as too warm is it?  I prefer a neutral amp/dac.

FiiO "Stereo 50" AMP/DAC with speakers & cans of choice.

I googled this but came up with nothing.  What is a Fiio "Stereo 50"?

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #7,335 of 14,386

The WM8741 isn't regarded as too warm is it?  I prefer a neutral amp/dac.

Like i said, haven´t heard this particular unit, nor any DAC with that chip.

But from my understanding the type of DAC-chip used is far less important than the implementation of it.
The analog section of the DAC will have a much bigger influence on the sound as the Chip used, for example.

As far as i have encountered with my Audio-DG stuff they are dead neutral to my ears, so it might fit your bill.
But without hearing it for yourself you wont know if it really is what you need/want.

I frequently see Audio-GD stuff popping up in the classifieds, maybe you start there with a cheaper single ended unit.
If you like the signature you can consider selling it again and upgrading to something balanced, and if not the search goes on :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back