Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 24, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #7,306 of 14,386
  Right before I bought my 400i, I asked Steve Gutenberg from CNET if he thought the Schiit Magni/Modi 2 Ubers would drive the 400i, and he was nice enough to tweet back that they absolutely would, but the Asgard would sound better. 

I can report I'm very happy with the Magni/Modi stack, but will probably upgrade to the Asgard at some point. 

That's awesome. Steve's reviews got me into audio. I learned so much from him when I first got into this hobby before I found Headfi.

Very cool.

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #7,307 of 14,386
Agreed w/ everything iscream

In response to the m9xx comments, another thing to consider with that thing is that it's just convenient as ****. It can run straight from a USB bus, or be plugged into a wall adapter for additional power (I think it can do the same with power from an additional USB bus as well, but I'm not positive). And it has a crossfeed, anti aliasing filters and a digital display (!!!), all in a pretty tiny, neat looking footprint. It also operates class A up until 90 percent output power and has two headphone outs iirc. The power system is really cool.

The digital display is especially cool given the two headphone outs, once you've decibel-matched two pairs of headphones you can just remember the settings and switch them when you go back and forth to compare.

Oh, and the output impedance is .08 ohms, so good luck finding something it won't have an unnecessarily ridiculous damping factor with :p

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #7,310 of 14,386
  A set of Audeze to Hifiman cable adapters came with a recent purchase form another user. I dont have an audeze cable, how much should I resell these for? http://imgur.com/F6Avagf

I don’t think you will get much for them, most don’t like to use adapters.  The cost of the SMC and mini XLR connectors is about $20 total but they are hard to re-use so not much value there.

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #7,318 of 14,386
It won't rotate at all, or is it just stiff? If it physically won't budge, that could be a problem with your headphone.

The right housing can't go full 90° inwards (earpads facing your body when on your neck). Probably just a mold problem/inconsistency so it might loosen over time. I don't want to force it as the plastic might break.

Just a minor problem really.
No plans on taking it outside while hanging on my neck.

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #7,319 of 14,386
The right housing can't go full 90° inwards (earpads facing your body when on your neck). Probably just a mold problem/inconsistency so it might loosen over time. I don't want to force it as the plastic might break.

Just a minor problem really.
No plans on taking it outside while hanging on my neck.

Check if there is a bur or some debris from the molding / manufacturing process keeping the earcup from rotating properly. Mine rotated easily so you are right to wonder if there is a problem, which it sounds like there might be.

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #7,320 of 14,386
Would any of you that did the grill mod be kind enough to cut me some grills for a small fee? (or free? 
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back