Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 22, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #7,276 of 14,386

haha, yes, people who think USB cables effect frequency response are quite the laugh.  Basically they can introudce a little bit of noise if they aren't properly shielded (or don't have ferrite beads attached), but even that is more something you see in a measurement vs hear, and it certainly doesn't impact frequency response.  

About those ferrite beads.  They never seem to work for me.  I get some high frequency  hash from the active monitors on my desk.  I'm feeding them using balanced cables, which was a big improvement, but the ferrite rings had no effect at all.  I've tried them a couple of other times over the years, with similar results.

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #7,278 of 14,386

I'm curious if you have actually heard the equipment you are calling poor.  If you have, what specifically about the Modi 2 Uber and or the Magni 2 Uber were substandard?

I have a Modi 2 Uber being delivered today.  At least I hope it will still be delivered even though we have snow this morning.

Thanks,
Chris

Nothing about them is substandard. He's just delusional

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #7,279 of 14,386
I'd feel kind of weird getting much more than a magni2u/modi2u specifically for these things, given their cost and relative efficiency.

The sound you can get for 500 shipped now is ridiculous compared to when I first got into this. Really glad to see orthos taking off

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #7,280 of 14,386
About those ferrite beads.  They never seem to work for me.  I get some high frequency  hash from the active monitors on my desk.  I'm feeding them using balanced cables, which was a big improvement, but the ferrite rings had no effect at all.  I've tried them a couple of other times over the years, with similar results.

Yeah, I've found they really only help with power supply cables and USB. I also have never really seen them help with analog audio cables.

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #7,281 of 14,386
  Not a bad call at all. I purchased in the past my Valhalla and Asgard 2 from Schiit directly.

I was hoping I got my order in early enough for them to ship it yesterday but it didn't happen.  I did get my Modi 2 Uber yesterday though.  Hooked it up using USB playing through my really old tube amp but I'm getting some distortion through the right channel when the music gets loud.  Hopefully it's the amp but I didn't try to troubleshoot it yet.  I don't have another headphone amp to try it with so I'm gonna hook it up to a HT receiver today and play it through some speakers.

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #7,282 of 14,386

I was hoping I got my order in early enough for them to ship it yesterday but it didn't happen.  I did get my Modi 2 Uber yesterday though.  Hooked it up using USB playing through my really old tube amp but I'm getting some distortion through the right channel when the music gets loud.  Hopefully it's the amp but I didn't try to troubleshoot it yet.  I don't have another headphone amp to try it with so I'm gonna hook it up to a HT receiver today and play it through some speakers.

Let us know how it works out. Hopefully it is the amp which I suspect based on what you are describing.

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #7,283 of 14,386

Let us know how it works out. Hopefully it is the amp which I suspect based on what you are describing.

There's nothing wrong with this Schiit.  I've got it playing through a 15 year old Harman Kardon receiver to a set of tower home theater speakers.  Sounds about as good as these speakers are ever going to sound.  

I've got some spare tubes for this headphone amp.  I'm gonna try swapping them out to see if the distortion goes away.  If that doesn't fix it the thing is probably gonna get gutted so I can reuse the nice aluminum enclosure for something.

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #7,284 of 14,386

There's nothing wrong with this Schiit.  I've got it playing through a 15 year old Harman Kardon receiver to a set of tower home theater speakers.  Sounds about as good as these speakers are ever going to sound.  

I've got some spare tubes for this headphone amp.  I'm gonna try swapping them out to see if the distortion goes away.  If that doesn't fix it the thing is probably gonna get gutted so I can reuse the nice aluminum enclosure for something.

HK receivers from that era were great. My ex-wife has an old AVR-20. I've thought many times about getting one of those to use has an amp for the Hifiman HE-6. Good stuff!

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #7,285 of 14,386

I wouldn't be surprised if it is the tube. Hopefully it is. Yes, as mentioned by others, the older H&K stuff was excellent. The newer stuff not as much.

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #7,286 of 14,386
HK receivers from that era were great. My ex-wife has an old AVR-20. I've thought many times about getting one of those to use has an amp for the Hifiman HE-6. Good stuff!

Yep.  This is an AVR-55 which was a high end HT receiver back in it's day but pretty worthless for that job now.  A few minutes ago I realized I could remove a couple jumpers from the back and wire straight into the amp so it bypasses everything inside the receiver.  I also lost volume control on the receiver so I'm having to use the PC for that.  I was wrong earlier.  NOW, this is as good as these HT towers are probably ever going to sound.  

They're really surprising me right now.  Didn't think they were capable of this sound quality.  

To make this more HE400i related, this setup is noticeably less resolving from the mid range down compared to the headphones played through my NAD D 1050.  I'm listening to The Ultimate Demonstration Disc from Chesky Records, just played through iTunes over the optical connection to the Modi 2 Uber.  There's some texture missing from instruments horns and vocals.  It's kinda pleasing to have the little bit of smoothing on female vocals but not so much with male singers.  Especially on Grandma's Hands.

I can't wait to get my Asgard and do some back to back comparisons between the Schiit stack and this NAD DAC/Amp.  I don't know why the D 1050 doesn't get more love on head-fi.  I'm pretty impressed with it and especially so for the $220 I paid for it used.  I still expect the Schiit components to win or I'll be pretty disappointed.  

-Chris

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #7,287 of 14,386
I just got these about a week and a half ago, and they are really impressing me. However, I'm in need of a DAC/Amp, and I know you guys have made many recommendations. Should I go straight for the Asgard+Modi? I saw the Massdrop for the Grace M9xx, so I was wondering if the extra $150 was worth it. I'm also considering the Ef100 hybrid amp among others in the <$500 budget too. Obviously I would like to save as much money as I can, so that is my main dilemma.

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #7,289 of 14,386
  I just got these about a week and a half ago, and they are really impressing me. However, I'm in need of a DAC/Amp, and I know you guys have made many recommendations. Should I go straight for the Asgard+Modi? I saw the Massdrop for the Grace M9xx, so I was wondering if the extra $150 was worth it. I'm also considering the Ef100 hybrid amp among others in the <$500 budget too. Obviously I would like to save as much money as I can, so that is my main dilemma.

There are so many good dac/amps out there right now, I'd take some time and enjoy shopping around.

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #7,290 of 14,386

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back