Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 21, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #7,187 of 14,386
WOW so many recommendations and advises going on here! thats why i love this community! its alive and very helpful.

one thing i have noticed, the vocals, in everything i have heard so far on these, is plain freaking pronounced. its not recessed at all! i m sennheiser fan, i would admit that. there is a lot of darkness. i honestly didnt notice that before, because i only used beyers other than sennheisers. 

sennheisers, all of them that i have used, 518, 600, and 650, all had this dark and heavy kinda sound to them. like its coming from some kind of distance.i dont know how to explain it here. 
thats why vocals were always kind of meh, but musicality was fantastic! same happens on my 650s. 

but here with 400i i feel like its kinda different.more focus is on mids and detail and vocals. i played like only 20 min with these on Battlefield 4 game and the battle callouts of soldiers were so pronounced that the gun fire and explosions were kinda of recessed a little. 

i know i have to get used to it. my mind is still not sure of how to interpret it, mean i like it or not. 

for music, yes its too much better than all sennheisers i have used. its close to 650 but its better than that in vocals, which i am really liking.

will post more views on gaming after i play some game on it.

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #7,188 of 14,386
  For standalone amp that will drive 400i well will NOT be hot,  I would recommend Gustard H10 for $300 on massdrop. Might have to wait a bit though, and yes, it is a bit up from your price range, but on upside it is very versatile amp and will drive most headphones quite well.

Somebody was asking about dac/amp combo in $500 range - m9xx from same source is your answer. Amazingly good with 400i.

thanks for advise here. but i will like to share my experience with you regarding mass drop. im not from USA. i have to import stuff on my own. so savings and sales are more important to me than anybody else, trust me 
biggrin.gif

regarding massdrop, i can assure u that most of their products are not up to par with what they are when not on sale. i purchased Corsair K70 RGB keyboard and the quality was ****!
within 2 weeks the numerical keypad leds gave up and it started flickering. the lights would not turn off at all! they stayed on all the time. 
it was horrible experience, cause here repair of such fancy products cost more than products themselves. so had to sell it for so cheap i regretted and never even looked at massdrop again. SURE my experience does not explain 100% reality, there will be many happy mass drop customers, but thought i should share my experience with you.because for me , once anything is imported its impossible to get it back for warranty or anything.

Quote:

I... can't agree on this one. I haven't worn the HD700... but for me, the DT 990 Pro are considerably more comfortable.

I'm approaching two weeks of ownership and have been stretching the headband everyday with the box and clamping is still mildly strong. Another thing that bothers me is that the earcups are still stiff from the headband. Kinda want to purposely loosen them up...
Oh, and they suck with glasses. Probably directly related to the stiff rotation points.

That said, they aren't HD280 levels of uncomfortable...

again everyone has different experiences with products. same product might serve someone very well and and for others it might be ****ty experience. for me unfortunately,  beyers gave up so early i was really sad. i loved them but many many people have reported the poor QC in beyers builds. especially the drivers. my 990s are perfectly prestine! i keep my fancy stuff in custom hand made velour cloth bags. i might show u pics of them when i get home.

so after so much care if something gives up on u, you ought to not trust that company. 
again, just my experience, i hope yours serve u well

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #7,189 of 14,386

so after so much care if something gives up on u, you ought to not trust that company. 

A bit off-topic, but did you send them back on warranty? Beyerdynamic's warranty is 2 years if you bought it from an authorized retailer.

You shouldn't shun a whole company based of one unfortunate mistake. Electronics fail, and companies DO expect a small portion of any of their product to fail.

I mean, HiFiMAN doesn't exactly have a nice track record... Good thing I bought mine from a reputable vendor.

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #7,190 of 14,386
thanks for advise here. but i will like to share my experience with you regarding mass drop. im not from USA. i have to import stuff on my own. so savings and sales are more important to me than anybody else, trust me :D

regarding massdrop, i can assure u that most of their products are not up to par with what they are when not on sale. i purchased Corsair K70 RGB keyboard and the quality was ****!
within 2 weeks the numerical keypad leds gave up and it started flickering. the lights would not turn off at all! they stayed on all the time. 
it was horrible experience, cause here repair of such fancy products cost more than products themselves. so had to sell it for so cheap i regretted and never even looked at massdrop again. SURE my experience does not explain 100% reality, there will be many happy mass drop customers, but thought i should share my experience with you.because for me , once anything is imported its impossible to get it back for warranty or anything.

Quote:
 again everyone has different experiences with products. same product might serve someone very well and and for others it might be ****ty experience. for me unfortunately,  beyers gave up so early i was really sad. i loved them but many many people have reported the poor QC in beyers builds. especially the drivers. my 990s are perfectly prestine! i keep my fancy stuff in custom hand made velour cloth bags. i might show u pics of them when i get home.

Lmao. I've bought quite a few things from MD. Only issue I had was a rattling driver on a K7XX. They shipped me a new pair asap before I even returned the failing one. They have always responded with questions I've had.

I bought dt990s and the right cup went out in 2 days. And there are MANY reviews that state the same.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #7,191 of 14,386

A bit off-topic, but did you send them back on warranty? Beyerdynamic's warranty is 2 years if you bought it from an authorized retailer.

You shouldn't shun a whole company based of one unfortunate mistake. Electronics fail, and companies DO expect a small portion of any of their product to fail.

I mean, HiFiMAN doesn't exactly have a nice track record... Good thing I bought mine from a reputable vendor.

i already said it , once i get stuff imported here, its very difficult claim warranty and send them back. thing is that these companies are so huge and have so much R&D resources, why do they not fix the issues in first place? 

im NOT saying that everything needs to be perfect. but still, failing drivers after like few months and some people even saw failures in few days, thats just not acceptable! 

and this is my philosophy, when ever first item from a company fails on me, i just dont like that company be it anything.

anyways, dt990 was a very dark memory which i deleted 
atsmile.gif

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #7,192 of 14,386

i already said it , once i get stuff imported here, its very difficult claim warranty and send them back. thing is that these companies are so huge and have so much R&D resources, why do they not fix the issues in first place? 

im NOT saying that everything needs to be perfect. but still, failing drivers after like few months and some people even saw failures in few days, thats just not acceptable! 

and this is my philosophy, when ever first item from a company fails on me, i just dont like that company be it anything.

anyways, dt990 was a very dark memory which i deleted 
atsmile.gif

It may not be acceptable to you, but in the world of engineering it is, and no amount of money in the world will fix the fact that every single electronic device on this entire planet has a failure rate.  It has nothing to do with how much money a company pours into R&D, just an unfortunate reality of engineering.

Having said that, of course companies can improve R&D, but no product will ever be a perfect 0.00% failure rate.

Edit:  Though I totally understand losing faith in a company when their first product you buy from them fails on you.  I've had that happen on more than one occasion.  (Actually, my cable for my 400i was faulty, but Hifiman impressed me so much with their customer service that it made up for the issue.)

Jan 21, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #7,193 of 14,386
Lmao. I've bought quite a few things from MD. Only issue I had was a rattling driver on a K7XX. They shipped me a new pair asap before I even returned the failing one. They have always responded with questions I've had.

I bought dt990s and the right cup went out in 2 days. And there are MANY reviews that state the same.

Massdrop if you're outside of the US is a fairly different ballgame though, mostly because of the way they're forced to ship things due exclusivity agreements manufacturers have.

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #7,194 of 14,386
After leaving a message with Audiolab yesterday afternoon about my cable problem, I got a call back from them this morning.  They are sending me a new cable which I should have by early next week.  They didn't ask for my old one back.

-Chris

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #7,196 of 14,386
  Same, I've had my HE400i be defective twice, but their customer service through friendly email and quick replies have kept me content as I wait for my replacement

yep, they definitely use customer service to make up for questionable quality control.  

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #7,197 of 14,386
Just an FYI to anyone in the thread looking to pick up a pair of these, I have one that I recently picked up that I'd be happy to send to any of you guys rather than returning it to Amazon. I purchased it direct from Hifiman less than a month ago for $299. If any of you want to pick up this pair please let me know. You'd only need to cover the $299 plus shipping. They're in perfect condition. For anyone wondering, I decided I need a new amp more than another set of headphones. They're very good, it's just not something I need right now. I don't know what the policy is about advertising sales on the page, but I'm not earning a profit so hopefully it's kosher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back