Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 20, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #7,171 of 14,386
+100 on the BlueTech. Just downloaded it. Great suggestion bro! I'm always looking for stuff like this. I'm a huge fan of Infected Mushroom , and am always searching for similar.
Cheers
For some excellent testing Steely Dan - Two Against Nature (album) and an amazing electronica album from Bluetech - Sines and Singularities which can be had for $10 lossless download from Bandcamp now, but the 320 mp3 version I downloaded a few years back sound stellar. I will guarantee anybody who really wants to have a sonic treat, get both those albums, but if you can have only one get the Bluetech as it really showcases the 400i.

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #7,172 of 14,386
Glad you're liking the Bluetech. I would also highly recommend Adham Shaikh - Refractions Vol 1, also on bandcamp as is Phutureprimitive - Kinetic, and Sub Conscious. All interesting music, high quality samples and just well done musically. I like electronica quite a bit, but if it is too repetitive with very little else to offer other than a steady beat, well I get bored.

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #7,173 of 14,386
Jan 20, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #7,174 of 14,386

I wonder why the search didn't find it. Weird.  Oh, well.  

Thanks!  I'm not an electronica guy, but I'm always open to new stuff.

I wasn't either, but I got bored of the same old thing. Another thing is quite a bit of electronica sounds really quite good. Variety is the spice of life as they say.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #7,176 of 14,386
As an FYI, I believe most of the bluetech albums are on Apple Music.

But do they provide lossless? That is the one advantage of Bandcamp as you can select MP3, ALAC, FLAC

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #7,177 of 14,386
For standalone amp that will drive 400i well will NOT be hot,  I would recommend Gustard H10 for $300 on massdrop. Might have to wait a bit though, and yes, it is a bit up from your price range, but on upside it is very versatile amp and will drive most headphones quite well.

Somebody was asking about dac/amp combo in $500 range - m9xx from same source is your answer. Amazingly good with 400i.

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #7,179 of 14,386
  Alhamdulillah... i received my 400i just today. 
OMG... i cant even explain my excitement! soooo long wait and finally its here. 

anyways, just listened to it for like 30 min. before my initial expressions, i must tell im coming from using Sennheiser HD 518, 600 & used 650 for a week  and i also tested HD 700 for like 5 mins :D , Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro 250ohm.

first off, i can testify this is the most comfortable headphone i have ever put on my head.! the pads are very very soft, very nice to touch and really hug my ears and part around that. after bad (rather very bad) experience with DT 990 Pro  (whose clips didnt get any softer even after a complete year of usage, i always felt my head was squished by something and then right driver died on its own without any accident which is a shame for beyerdynamic as they lost one customer FOREVER!)

This is because the pads are made from angel feathers covered in unicorn leather.

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #7,180 of 14,386
Not lossless. I haven't heard a difference between lossless and AAC with electronic music.

Me either, I can't tell 320 files from lossless in general and definitely not with electronica , but if you are going to pay for the files anyway ....

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #7,181 of 14,386

anyways, just listened to it for like 30 min. before my initial expressions, i must tell im coming from using Sennheiser HD 518, 600 & used 650 for a week  and i also tested HD 700 for like 5 mins :D , Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro 250ohm.

first off, i can testify this is the most comfortable headphone i have ever put on my head.!

I... can't agree on this one. I haven't worn the HD700... but for me, the DT 990 Pro are considerably more comfortable.

I'm approaching two weeks of ownership and have been stretching the headband everyday with the box and clamping is still mildly strong. Another thing that bothers me is that the earcups are still stiff from the headband. Kinda want to purposely loosen them up...
Oh, and they suck with glasses. Probably directly related to the stiff rotation points.

That said, they aren't HD280 levels of uncomfortable...

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #7,182 of 14,386
I'll stop soon I promise, but for those looking for music suggestions. Although this is you tube video, the song is really nice and quite well recorded. I have it on a complication CD I would recommend Sait-Germain-des-Pres-Café Vol 17.

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #7,183 of 14,386
  For standalone amp that will drive 400i well will NOT be hot,  I would recommend Gustard H10 for $300 on massdrop. Might have to wait a bit though, and yes, it is a bit up from your price range, but on upside it is very versatile amp and will drive most headphones quite well.

Somebody was asking about dac/amp combo in $500 range - m9xx from same source is your answer. Amazingly good with 400i.

I'll look into it, thanks.

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #7,184 of 14,386
Anyone have access to a 3-d printer that can make some sealed ear cups for these that will pop into where the ring sits normally? Would be interesting to see if we can make a mod that changes these into something similar to like an alpha dog/ether-c...

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #7,185 of 14,386
OM is a standard of mine as well. +1000 for that one. BTW, it's also one of the albums where my Primes reveal detail the 400i's barely hint at. As good as they are, and as much as I like them, they are not the end-all when it comes to micro-detail and dynamics.

I'll have to check out the Ulver

Yeah OM is really good to test Detail retrieval, and you really hear even more with every step, much to dig out of that production :)
I just recently upgraded my speakers and noticed that again.
The Von Schweikert´s really show a ton of detail, and OH THE BASS, gives me goosebumps :p

And tell me what you think of the Ulver when you had the time to check it out.
Maybe also try their newer one:  Ulver - Messe I.X-VI.X (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messe_I.X-VI.X)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back