Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Jan 20, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #7,126 of 14,386
im kind of worried about that 1 year warranty. thats pretty short for a 300dollar headphone.

is that how much confidence they have in their product?

Yeah, I feel the same way. I bought a three year extended warranty from Squaretrade for $22 through Amazon.

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #7,127 of 14,386
Hey guys i have a question.

What EQ programs do you use on windows?
A friend of mine has one to test at home and never used an EQ before and wants to play around a bit.

He likes a slight u-shape, maybe some suggestions how to set it?
Some pictures of your EQ curves with the type of program would be really appretiated :)

Greetings, Mario

Jriver player is good. Is the EQ for the HE400i? If so, from my experience, they are very easy to EQ since they are relatively flat. Just bump or reduce areas you want.

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #7,128 of 14,386

Jriver player is good. Is the EQ for the HE400i? If so, from my experience, they are very easy to EQ since they are relatively flat. Just bump or reduce areas you want.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Jriver player, looks quite nice.

But what i actually meant was a program that adds parametric EQ to windows itself, making it usable with Games/Movies too
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #7,129 of 14,386
When I first listened to these headphones on my O2 I thought they were a bit dark. Is there a mod I could have done to brighten/open these up a bit, maybe 100% velour pads instead of the stock Focus pads? And perhaps removing the dust filter?

Let me know if this would improve the sound more to my liking.

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #7,132 of 14,386
When I first listened to these headphones on my O2 I thought they were a bit dark. Is there a mod I could have done to brighten/open these up a bit, maybe 100% velour pads instead of the stock Focus pads? And perhaps removing the dust filter?

Let me know if this would improve the sound more to my liking.

Never heard the 400i + O2 combo called dark before... Some people say that combo is intolerably bright. But to answer your question, the velour pads will roll off bass and make it sound more like a dynamic headphone. Brighter? Depends on what you mean by bright.

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #7,134 of 14,386
Never heard the 400i + O2 combo called dark before... Some people say that combo is intolerably bright. But to answer your question, the velour pads will roll off bass and make it sound more like a dynamic headphone. Brighter? Depends on what you mean by bright.

Neutral headphones just might not be my thing, since I found the HD600 too cold overall but found it's more fun brother HD650 very enjoyable. I could also not be used to planar sound. I'd never call the HE400i intolerably bright with the O2 though. With headphones like the HD700 and DT990 however, definitely.

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #7,137 of 14,386
What would be the HiFiMan equivalent of the HD650? The HE500?

As an analogy yes, but the 400S sounds more like the 600 and 650 than any other HiFiMan.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #7,138 of 14,386
Alhamdulillah... i received my 400i just today. 
OMG... i cant even explain my excitement! soooo long wait and finally its here. 

anyways, just listened to it for like 30 min. before my initial expressions, i must tell im coming from using Sennheiser HD 518, 600 & used 650 for a week  and i also tested HD 700 for like 5 mins :D , Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro 250ohm.

first off, i can testify this is the most comfortable headphone i have ever put on my head.! the pads are very very soft, very nice to touch and really hug my ears and part around that. after bad (rather very bad) experience with DT 990 Pro  (whose clips didnt get any softer even after a complete year of usage, i always felt my head was squished by something and then right driver died on its own without any accident which is a shame for beyerdynamic as they lost one customer FOREVER!)

anyways long story short, these 400i are Comfortable, 10/10. i was really worried about the size of cups and especially the headband but man its good! does not feel its on top of my head. this gives me same feeling as my HD 600 aged and grown on me. but these are more softer. im sure will get better with time, InshaAllah.

sound, well, after my usual thing, first song i played on this was Hotel California, benchmark i guess, and man it sounded awesome. then some Jeremy Soule, Dragonborn and Winter's Tale. 
it really surprised me the way it announces details. the mids on almost all these songs gave me something i never heard before. and im not even joking here!
especially noticeable were the "psss" sound of that equipment which keeps on going in Hotel California on left side, i always thought it was something from drums but it is not. 
the thump in Dragonborn, the initial beating of drums, i never heard it before. the instrument that they play in Winter's Tale, the sound of it moving, its so Perfect!

sound stage is not small. yes it might be small when compared to HD800 or T1s but compared to HD 650, its as wide and distributed or even a little better. depth is enough, as is the width. 
BASS. well, there is nothing that feels like moving parts, not they i felt that in dynamics before, but i definitely felt that when i pushed the vol to top, like very top, and removed cans from ear and i could feel the driver moving. 
these are just WOW. bass is there, and  its a lot!
these are my first planars. 

i feel like the bass is coming to ear from all directions, like its from all over the place, which is a good thing. honestly with all Sennheisers i had, i felt like the bass is kinda coming from middle of ear. yes it gave the thump but not the fullness to BASS. here its more full. lows are LOWS, like REALLY LOWS! 

Cable is too short! like too too short! even for me. i sit like 1 feet away and used to coil up all the cable of my sennheisers. but here its cable is hanging. its good quality but its too short. also right angle is Bad! 

and i remember someone telling me my Fiio E18 Kunlun would be enough for these, well my friend its not. these are power hungry. 
i used to keep my volume at 20 levels from windows and full 10 on E18 and it was loud enough for my 250Ohm DT 990 Pros, at 50 level in windows vol 990 Pro started to hurt my ears. here i have 100 volume on Windows and 10 on E18 and i feel these are not Loud. these are just loud. so yea they need power. might have to get O2 ODAC or something else after getting advise from you guys here.

but in my 30 some minutes with these, i can tell the best thing about these are the mids and freaking details! i never thought i would be so happy with mids so clear! lol :D

i dont know if im making myself clear here, but im REALLY IMPRESSED! So happy cause i saved for a lot for these, and just to let u guys know how long i waited for these, i placed order on 28November. had to import them from USA.

anyways, i will post more of experience with these here soon. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #7,139 of 14,386
  Alhamdulillah... i received my 400i just today. 
OMG... i cant even explain my excitement! soooo long wait and finally its here. 

anyways, just listened to it for like 30 min. before my initial expressions, i must tell im coming from using Sennheiser HD 518, 600 & used 650 for a week  and i also tested HD 700 for like 5 mins :D , Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro 250ohm.

first off, i can testify this is the most comfortable headphone i have ever put on my head.! the pads are very very soft, very nice to touch and really hug my ears and part around that. after bad (rather very bad) experience with DT 990 Pro  (whose clips didnt get any softer even after a complete year of usage, i always felt my head was squished by something and then right driver died on its own without any accident which is a shame for beyerdynamic as they lost one customer FOREVER!)

anyways long story short, these 400i are Comfortable, 10/10. i was really worried about the size of cups and especially the headband but man its good! does not feel its on top of my head. this gives me same feeling as my HD 600 aged and grown on me. but these are more softer. im sure will get better with time, InshaAllah.

sound, well, after my usual thing, first song i played on this was Hotel California, benchmark i guess, and man it sounded awesome. then some Jeremy Soule, Dragonborn and Winter's Tale. 
it really surprised me the way it announces details. the mids on almost all these songs gave me something i never heard before. and im not even joking here!
especially noticeable were the "psss" sound of that equipment which keeps on going in Hotel California on left side, i always thought it was something from drums but it is not. 
the thump in Dragonborn, the initial beating of drums, i never heard it before. the instrument that they play in Winter's Tale, the sound of it moving, its so Perfect!

sound stage is not small. yes it might be small when compared to HD800 or T1s but compared to HD 650, its as wide and distributed or even a little better. depth is enough, as is the width. 
BASS. well, there is nothing that feels like moving parts, not they i felt that in dynamics before, but i definitely felt that when i pushed the vol to top, like very top, and removed cans from ear and i could feel the driver moving. 
these are just WOW. bass is there, and  its a lot!
these are my first planars. 

i feel like the bass is coming to ear from all directions, like its from all over the place, which is a good thing. honestly with all Sennheisers i had, i felt like the bass is kinda coming from middle of ear. yes it gave the thump but not the fullness to BASS. here its more full. lows are LOWS, like REALLY LOWS! 

Cable is too short! like too too short! even for me. i sit like 1 feet away and used to coil up all the cable of my sennheisers. but here its cable is hanging. its good quality but its too short. also right angle is Bad! 

and i remember someone telling me my Fiio E18 Kunlun would be enough for these, well my friend its not. these are power hungry. 
i used to keep my volume at 20 levels from windows and full 10 on E18 and it was loud enough for my 250Ohm DT 990 Pros, at 50 level in windows vol 990 Pro started to hurt my ears. here i have 100 volume on Windows and 10 on E18 and i feel these are not Loud. these are just loud. so yea they need power. might have to get O2 ODAC or something else after getting advise from you guys here.

but in my 30 some minutes with these, i can tell the best thing about these are the mids and freaking details! i never thought i would be so happy with mids so clear! lol :D

i dont know if im making myself clear here, but im REALLY IMPRESSED! So happy cause i saved for a lot for these, and just to let u guys know how long i waited for these, i placed order on 28November. had to import them from USA.

anyways, i will post more of experience with these here soon. 

Awesome, glad you're enjoying them. I highly recommend a Class A amp like the Audeze Deckard or Asgard 2 for them. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #7,140 of 14,386
Glad you liked them aami. Regarding power, I echo the sentiments below:

A common theme I'm seeing is they really seem at their best with Class A circuits.  I don't know if there's any particular technical reason why, or if it's just a coincidence, or what.  But basically every amp people are saying really syncs up well with it, is class A.

Deckard
Gustard GH10
Grace m9XX
APPJ
Asgard

The common theme for really bringing them to the next level seems to be: Low output impedance, class A, musical yet detailed DAC

I'm using the APPJ 1502A Class A amp with the 400i and it sounds better than my Vali 2. (The opposite is true with my X00 headphones which are dynamics.) Consider getting a Class A amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back